CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

44 minutes ago, Oban said:

I shall give that a try sir, thanks

Yeah, I'm still thinking if I understood well your doubt... you do have access to the Forrestal but can not edit anything related to it; or you don't have access to it ?

Because like @Esac_mirmidon said, you need to have the last Open Beta version to access the Forrestal:

DCS 2.7.7.14727 Open Beta (from last Wednesday)...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

37 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

Yeah, I'm still thinking if I understood well your doubt... you do have access to the Forrestal but can not edit anything related to it; or you don't have access to it ?

Because like @Esac_mirmidon said, you need to have the last Open Beta version to access the Forrestal:

DCS 2.7.7.14727 Open Beta (from last Wednesday)...

Yes, that's correct, I have the latest open beta that included the Forrestal, but for whatever reason when I set the time stamp to 1988 or there about and try to add the new Forrestal, it doesn't show up in the drop down box.

I think there is a possible conflict with another addon, possibly the VSN A6A as that also doesn't show in my aircraft drop downs, I just have not got around to editing any of the DCS missions yet to see what's the score

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

44 minutes ago, Oban said:

...Forrestal, it doesn't show up in the drop down box.

What about historical filter - clock icon at the bottom?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

What about historical filter - clock icon at the bottom?

That's the bad boy, I thought I was enabling it, but was disabling it.. she's now showing thanks guys for the help.

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

The old catpult launch stuck issue persists with the CV-59 Forrestal also.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/202461-bug-f-14-wont-launch-from-carrier-all-parameters-met/page/2/

In my case it seems to be with edited mission in bad weather (almost night / rain).

With good weather / day, the catpult does launch the F-14 promptly without any issues after saluting...

With CVN-74 John Stennis happens the same.

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

10 hours ago, Oban said:

Dumb question perhaps, but I don't seem to be able to place the Forrestal in the ME, even if I set the timestamp/date to 1988..

It doesn't appear in the drop down list..

Yes I have the F14 module too

Whats the light level like? Don't forget if dark it will only work by cycling your external lights on and off

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

On 10/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

Hmmm that could explain a few things: I use 1.6 for gamma since everything above that is too bright and the colours are too washed out. This is in VR (on a Reverb G2), were we can't edit any "monitor controls": you end up with factory calibration and that's that.

Their numbers don't matter for VR. Because in VR you're viewing in a perfect dark space. Gamma 2.2 is for regular office brightness. 

Edited by RustBelt

8 hours ago, Top Jockey said:

The old catpult launch stuck issue persists with the CV-59 Forrestal also.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/202461-bug-f-14-wont-launch-from-carrier-all-parameters-met/page/2/

In my case it seems to be with edited mission in bad weather (almost night / rain).

With good weather / day, the catpult does launch the F-14 promptly without any issues after saluting...

With CVN-74 John Stennis happens the same.

7 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

Whats the light level like? Don't forget if dark it will only work by cycling your external lights on and off

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Looks great but 2 things annoy me: 

1. The deck is so dark it's, at least on my 1080p 24" monitor, nearly impossible to line up visually (gamma set at 2.2).

2. from external view (F9) it's impossible to get close to the ship (by mousewheel). There is like an invisible bubble around it that makes it impossible to get too close. Now this is a very stinky and slimy practice initiated by ED when they introduced the SC: they removed the Alt-F9 view which was the LSO viewpoint, and on top they made it impossible to bring the camera close to the deck, because they want you to buy the SC to have some decent views of the deck. Effectively removing features that have been there for 15 years, to frustrate people into buying the SC. I was hoping HB would steer clear of this.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

The shuttle for Catapult 3 doesn't connect with the F-14 when pressing the key "U"; all the other shuttles seem to work fine though.

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I fly VR exclusively with an Oculus Rift S, my "Light Bloom" setting is off and Gamma is set to 2.2. To echo what others have said:

-The Flight deck is way too dark. Its incredibly difficult to line up correctly, even if you hit the groove at 0.5 in the middle of the day. 

-The IFLOS Datum lights are extremely bright. Super Carriers are already hard to read, but I can read the Meatball from about 0.7 NM out. With these ones, I get about 2 seconds of useful ball indication as I come over the ramp. 

-Night lighting on the deck at this time makes the module unusable in in the dark. 

I understand that VR users see things differently compared to people using a Flatscreen, I wonder if there is a happy medium like the Supercarrier currently has?

Edited by Turkey_Baster
  • Like 3

I agree with many here, the deck is way too dark. Even if it is like that IRL when applied to the sim makes it almost impossible to line up even in good light conditions. Other than that, amazing as always.

666GIAP_Chimanov - My Tomcat tribute video, type on youtube browser=> "DCS F-14 Tomcat Symphony"

Will there be line up lights off the back of the carrier like the SC has? Theres a red strip but nothing to tell you if your right or left of centerline. At least not that ive seen

@bkthunderUse Rctrl+F9. Also LSO viewpoints work for me on every carrier

Edited by BirdFarm

11 minutes ago, Airhunter said:

It works, at least for me. Just get real close to the shuttle. 

Hello,

Exactly how much close: should the wheels cover the entire shuttle (from side view); just half of it; a little a little further back ?

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I usually try to get the launch bar right over the shuttle in F2 view on non SC.

That plane captain and basic moving deck crew should be standard.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

1 hour ago, Top Jockey said:

Hello,

Exactly how much close: should the wheels cover the entire shuttle (from side view); just half of it; a little a little further back ?

Launch bar pretty much lined up with the front. Just try differen positions and you'll se.

Screen_211021_183041.png

17 hours ago, RustBelt said:

Their numbers don't matter for VR.

To be fair, I haven't touched the gamma setting in years, and quite significant changes to the lighting engine in DCS have been made since. So my comment was - in hindsight - quite outdated indeed: I have set gamma at 2.2 and while it took some getting used to, now that I have used it for a few hours I admit it is a significant upgrade over my previous setting - especially at night.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

11 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

To be fair, I haven't touched the gamma setting in years, and quite significant changes to the lighting engine in DCS have been made since. So my comment was - in hindsight - quite outdated indeed: I have set gamma at 2.2 and while it took some getting used to, now that I have used it for a few hours I admit it is a significant upgrade over my previous setting - especially at night.

Yeah, the lighting changed again in a recent update. 2.2 with the release of 2.6 or 2.7 (cant remember) was waay too bright, bloomy and washed out. Now using 2.2 is pretty much fine (on my end at least).

Edited by Airhunter

45 minutes ago, Airhunter said:

Launch bar pretty much lined up with the front. Just try differen positions and you'll se.

Screen_211021_183041.png

No joy.

Tried it on several spots, (further aft / fwd on the shuttle - as in image below), but when pressing the "U" key it jusn't doesn move and connect with the launch bar.

The 'mini' Jet Blast Deflector does come only when requesting permission to take-off command also.

When advancing to anyother catapult their shuttle works with no problems...

Screen_211025_184750.jpg

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

On 10/25/2021 at 8:35 AM, BirdFarm said:

Will there be line up lights off the back of the carrier like the SC has? Theres a red strip but nothing to tell you if your right or left of centerline. At least not that ive seen

@bkthunderUse Rctrl+F9. Also LSO viewpoints work for me on every carrier

If you are referring to the Long range line-up lights, The Forrestal wouldn't have had them in her day! Those came way later!

• Like 3

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!