CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

Edited missions (mostly at night / bad weather) of the Case 1 Recovery with the Forrestal, did cause permanent freezes on my PC for 3 times already.

(No ctrl + alt + delete, or other key combos do work.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

2 hours ago, Baz000 said:

I think those were temporary? As a way to block mission makers from putting stuff there in the meantime?

Don´t think so, no.

I like to populate my carriers so i don´t mind at all that the deck vehicles are implemented by default on deck although i understand your point and wish.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Any chance for Saratoga tomorrow?  :ducks:

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

On 10/20/2021 at 1:34 PM, AG-51_Razor said:

Beautiful model of the ship! 👍  Just curious though, why throw in a Tilly for that time period and then clutter up the possible parking places for it with static (immovable) fork lifts, tugs and huffers?? Where do your artists expect us mission builders to put it?

On 10/20/2021 at 1:39 PM, Cobra847 said:

Hey!

Actually- the tilly we added now is the wrong model (just painted yellow) temporarily. The changelog should have reflected. The real NS-60 Tilly will be added in the next update, and then it will be placeable (or default near the island). So to answer your question; the tugs and forklifts currently clutter that area because we are waiting to add the proper NS60. 🙂

Doesn't that mean it is temporary? Or are you meaning you want the entirety of the deck cleared?

Edited by Baz000

3 hours ago, Airhunter said:

I actually like the baked-in static vehicles next to the island, adds some stock immersion. Better than an entirely empty CV like the Super Carrier.

Agreed. It's irritating having to place every single object for every single mission, and doubly irrating with the way DCS handles object placement, causing cranes and tugs to be hanging out on Vulture's row if you place them 1mm too close to the superstructure. When Razbam removed their static deck candy from the Tarawa it was very disappointing.

Edited by Nealius

On 10/25/2021 at 3:46 AM, bkthunder said:

Looks great but 2 things annoy me: 

1. The deck is so dark it's, at least on my 1080p 24" monitor, nearly impossible to line up visually (gamma set at 2.2).

2. from external view (F9) it's impossible to get close to the ship (by mousewheel). There is like an invisible bubble around it that makes it impossible to get too close. Now this is a very stinky and slimy practice initiated by ED when they introduced the SC: they removed the Alt-F9 view which was the LSO viewpoint, and on top they made it impossible to bring the camera close to the deck, because they want you to buy the SC to have some decent views of the deck. Effectively removing features that have been there for 15 years, to frustrate people into buying the SC. I was hoping HB would steer clear of this.

There's also Right Ctrl + F9. Cycle 4 times to get different angles/parts of the deck.

DeckAction1.jpg

Edited by CaptHawk
cannot spell or predictive?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

For me, the F-14A just feels right landing on the Forrestal! A few more things:

-Brighter Deck textures
-Brighter Meatball
-Deck crew (Someday I hope)
-Can we for the love of all that is Naval Aviation, get the LSO to stop calling us "Slow" even when we are overpowered? This goes for both the SC and the Forrestal.

I'd hate to be so pedantic, but the Firefighting vehicles need swapping out as well. The P-25 did not exist during the Forrestal's era. It was the P-16 that was used. 
This may not be popular, but we need an E-2C! I've seen some users use an AI SH-3...that's great! Some things onboard CV-59 (DCS for that matter) are out of place. This is not a complaint, but an observation.

I'm not sure why but 1980's and 90's carrier ops look and feel like they belong to DCS. ED could own the 80's and 90's era if it chose! Great work HB! 

• Like 3

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

4 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

For me, the F-14A just feels right landing on the Forrestal! A few more things:

-Brighter Deck textures
-Brighter Meatball
-Deck crew (Someday I hope)
-Can we for the love of all that is Naval Aviation, get the LSO to stop calling us "Slow" even when we are overpowered? This goes for both the SC and the Forrestal.

I'd hate to be so pedantic, but the Firefighting vehicles need swapping out as well. The P-25 did not exist during the Forrestal's era. It was the P-16 that was used. 
This may not be popular, but we need an E-2C! I've seen some users use an AI SH-3...that's great! Some things onboard CV-59 (DCS for that matter) are out of place. This is not a complaint, but an observation.

I'm not sure why but 1980's and 90's carrier ops look and feel like they belong to DCS. ED could own the 80's and 90's era if it chose! Great work HB! 

You have this deck textures, did you try them?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319070/

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

Agreed. It's irritating having to place every single object for every single mission, and doubly irrating with the way DCS handles object placement, causing cranes and tugs to be hanging out on Vulture's row if you place them 1mm too close to the superstructure. When Razbam removed their static deck candy from the Tarawa it was very disappointing.

Don´t you use templates for the carriers?

• Like 3

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

I don't agree. There should be freedom to move or remove any object that isn't mounted into the deck. That there's a problem with hanging statics means only that it needs fixing.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

53 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Don´t you use templates for the carriers?

Templates typically don't have what I want or need when considering both the type of deck I'm building and VR performance considerations.

19 minutes ago, draconus said:

There should be freedom to move or remove any object that isn't mounted into the deck.

I agree with that in addition to objects that are always in a certain spot on the deck already being there by default, e.g. the cranes and forklifts. We start with a base deck that has some statics (like now) and add others as we please.

Edited by Nealius

On 10/25/2021 at 8:00 PM, Top Jockey said:

No joy.

Tried it on several spots, (further aft / fwd on the shuttle - as in image below), but when pressing the "U" key it jusn't doesn move and connect with the launch bar.

The 'mini' Jet Blast Deflector does come only when requesting permission to take-off command also.

When advancing to anyother catapult their shuttle works with no problems...

Screen_211025_184750.jpg

Same story with me.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

16 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Same story with me.

Yep, besides the fact that: at night (bad weather ?) even the other catapults that allow the shuttle to connect with the launch bar don't obey the "shift + U" command... which hinders the launch impossible...

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system

46 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Templates typically don't have what I want or need when considering both the type of deck I'm building and VR performance considerations.

I agree with that in addition to objects that are always in a certain spot on the deck already being there by default, e.g. the cranes and forklifts. We start with a base deck that has some statics (like now) and add others as we please.

How so? i populate my decks as i wish then save as a Template and can use in any of my missions. So, i don´t need to populate the carrier all over again when creating different missions, that would be mental because i use a lot of statics. I do the same with AFB´s. You can create your templates...

Edited by fagulha

33 minutes ago, fagulha said:

i populate my decks as i wish then save as a Template and can use in any of my missions

Oh that's what you mean. I thought you meant the pre-made templates that are on the User Files. I did make one template, but the templates can only be used on the map they were saved in. So I would have to make each template four times for Syria, PG, Caucasus, and Marianas. It ends up being the same amount of work for my sandbox missions.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Oh that's what you mean. I thought you meant the pre-made templates that are on the User Files. I did make one template, but the templates can only be used on the map they were saved in. So I would have to make each template four times for Syria, PG, Caucasus, and Marianas. 

Ah yes. I don´t use pre-made templates either because i like to use my configs on deck and for same reasons as you do too.

Yes, that´s the only thing to do. I made templates for each map so i can use them as i wish. It´s lesser work than do it from scratch for everytime i want to change mission or map.

My humble advice is to you build your 4 carrier templates, it´s worthy. Besides, generally i work on them when i dont´t want to fly because i´m tired or don´t have the time etc.  After i create and use them i keep on workinh on them and save updated templates, so i can have a lot of options for future missions. I don´t see any issue from here, it´s my method.

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fagulha said:

You have this deck textures, did you try them?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319070/

Very good, now it makes more sense to land in reasonable daylight conditions, as it is possible to see the runway.

Obrigado!

• Like 1

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

23 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

Very good, now it makes more sense to land in reasonable daylight conditions, as it is possible to see the runway.

Obrigado!

De nada!  (you´re welcome) 🙂

1 hour ago, Top Jockey said:

Yep, besides the fact that: at night (bad weather ?) even the other catapults that allow the shuttle to connect with the launch bar don't obey the "shift + U" command... which hinders the launch impossible...

That binding could work if you use special option for that. Otherwise you turn on Master Light switch for night launch.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

52 minutes ago, draconus said:

That binding could work if you use special option for that. Otherwise you turn on Master Light switch for night launch.

... but it is exactly the same I use and works on day / good weather conditions ?

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

16 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

... but it is exactly the same I use and works on day / good weather conditions ?

Yes, but the function is different to simulate that the shooter cannot see your salute at night.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, draconus said:

Yes, but the function is different to simulate that the shooter cannot see your salute at night.

Right after your previous post "there was light in my mind" - and indeed I've been doing it all wrong from the start.

( Expecting the salute command to also work in every situation: " hey, it's just a key combo afterall... " )

@Victory205 was here a while ago, so I imagine he (and others) must have been laughing like there was no tomorrow :

" This armchair pilot / sim nugget / virtual wannabe never imagined the Carrier catapult launch command at night is done via exterior lights signals. "

... yep, there are shameful days like this my friends... I'm turning in my wings like Cougar did.

• Like 1

Hangar
Mi-8 MTV2

system

I have looked through the Docs in the F-14 section of the DCS World folder and cannot find any reference to how to get a plane - Tomcat, Hornet or even the Skyhawk - hooked up to the catapult and launched off the Forrestal. Where would I find that? Does it differ between the Hornet and Tomcat? Is the Skyhawk different as well?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]