CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

50 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I have looked through the Docs in the F-14 section of the DCS World folder and cannot find any reference to how to get a plane - Tomcat, Hornet or even the Skyhawk - hooked up to the catapult and launched off the Forrestal. Where would I find that? Does it differ between the Hornet and Tomcat? Is the Skyhawk different as well?

In the F-14B Manual 1.0 at DCS documents, there's a brief procedure at page 188 - usually at:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Docs

Then there's the more detailed procedure at Chuck's F-14B manual from page 185 onwards:

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

After how long should the flood lights shut off at night? I noticed that after a first round of AI launches, the flood lights shut off after a few minutes. After the second round of AI launches, the flood lights stayed on permanently and didn't shut off. 

For the "look" Heatblur was going for, it looks very accurate to me.

image077.jpg

DN-SC-89-02629.jpeg

flight-deck-crewmen-watch-as-the-catapul

She (Navy ships are always a she) can also be seen with fresh paint but that isn't the "look" Heatblur was aiming for.

cv59_8.jpg

So, much like a lot of things in the fighter pilot world "it depends"

Edited by Baz000
  • Like 1

Best solution there is for the carrier to be skinable and have fresh and dirty versions in the pull-down menu in the mission editor.   If not change the number on the bow & island and name on the stern for the other ships in class). The latter wouldn't catch some of the antenna or mast changes but would let the community relieve some man hours from HB's plate.  

• Like 4

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

4 hours ago, Uxi said:

Best solution there is for the carrier to be skinable and have fresh and dirty versions in the pull-down menu in the mission editor.   If not change the number on the bow & island and name on the stern for the other ships in class). The latter wouldn't catch some of the antenna or mast changes but would let the community relieve some man hours from HB's plate.  

Meanwhile

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319070/

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

He needs to make it into a proper mod for saved games...

The one I did has a lighter deck..

But yeah having multiple liveries of dirt and grime would be great 

Edited by joey45
  • Like 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

5 minutes ago, joey45 said:

He needs to make it into a proper mod for saved games...

I use it in saved games folder, so i can choose the liverie in ME. Just create a folder like other liveries. Also, it´s described in the comments of the link.

• Like 3

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Has anyone been able to use RedKite's static template solution on the Forrestal? I can't get it to work and I didn't find this out until after I completed my template. So a lot of time wasted. 😡

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I followed the instructions and "Forrestal 1987" showed up in the pulldown but it looks identical. 

21 hours ago, BigDancingBear3 said:

Are you able to have spawn locations on CAT2?

Works for me. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I built a small little training mission for the Hornet and Forrestal, I have found that after spawning on the ramp, I can taxi to and hook up on any of the catapults except #3. Take off, go around and trap, taxi to cat 3 and after putting the launch bar down right on the cat shuttle, hitting the "U" key does nothing. No steam, no movement and no JBD erection. Move on to another cat - any one of the others, I can get hooked up and launch normally. Every time I return to the deck, I try to get hooked up on cat 3 with no luck at all.

Any suggestions?? Am I obviously doing something wrong?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just now, AG-51_Razor said:

I built a small little training mission for the Hornet and Forrestal, I have found that after spawning on the ramp, I can taxi to and hook up on any of the catapults except #3. Take off, go around and trap, taxi to cat 3 and after putting the launch bar down right on the cat shuttle, hitting the "U" key does nothing. No steam, no movement and no JBD erection. Move on to another cat - any one of the others, I can get hooked up and launch normally. Every time I return to the deck, I try to get hooked up on cat 3 with no luck at all.

Any suggestions?? Am I obviously doing something wrong?

It happens exactly the same here - no luck on connecting to the shuttle on catapult 3, don't know if it's a bug or whatelse...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Yeah just tried it.  If I start on the cat hot, I can launch from Cat 3 but wouldn't let me hook up.  I tried behind the shuttle, slightly past it, too.  Also tried after an AI took off and tried with no one on the cat first, no difference. 

Forrestal_Cat3_20211031133943_1.jpg

Specs & Wishlist:

HB have done a stellar job with the Forrestal......what a beauty,thanks guys.

LOQbOQ0.png

Edited by Basco1
  • Like 2

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home