CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

carrier landing lights (deck) are only rendering at super close zoomlevel at night

Graphics settings (options.lua):

Spoiler

["graphics"] = {
        ["DOF"] = 0,
        ["LensEffects"] = 0,
        ["MSAA"] = 1,
        ["SSAA"] = 0,
        ["SSAO"] = 0,
        ["SSLR"] = 0,
        ["anisotropy"] = 4,
        ["aspect"] = 1.7777777777778,
        ["box_mouse_cursor"] = false,
        ["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 0,
        ["civTraffic"] = "low",
        ["clouds"] = 0,
        ["clutterMaxDistance"] = 0,
        ["cockpitGI"] = 0,
        ["effects"] = 3,
        ["flatTerrainShadows"] = 0,
        ["forestDetailsFactor"] = 0.1,
        ["forestDistanceFactor"] = 0.3,
        ["fullScreen"] = false,
        ["heatBlr"] = 0,
        ["height"] = 1080,
        ["lights"] = 2,
        ["messagesFontScale"] = 1,
        ["motionBlur"] = 0,
        ["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",
        ["outputGamma"] = 3.5,
        ["preloadRadius"] = 150000,
        ["rainDroplets"] = 1,
        ["scaleGui"] = 1,
        ["sceneryDetailsFactor"] = 0.5,
        ["shadowTree"] = false,
        ["shadows"] = 2,
        ["sync"] = false,
        ["terrainTextures"] = "min",
        ["textures"] = 2,
        ["useDeferredShading"] = 1,
        ["visibRange"] = "Extreme",
        ["water"] = 0,
        ["width"] = 1920,

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

1 minute ago, D4n said:

carrier landing lights (deck) are only rendering at super close zoomlevel at night

Graphics settings (options.lua):

Hide contents

["graphics"] = {
        ["DOF"] = 0,
        ["LensEffects"] = 0,
        ["MSAA"] = 1,
        ["SSAA"] = 0,
        ["SSAO"] = 0,
        ["SSLR"] = 0,
        ["anisotropy"] = 4,
        ["aspect"] = 1.7777777777778,
        ["box_mouse_cursor"] = false,
        ["chimneySmokeDensity"] = 0,
        ["civTraffic"] = "low",
        ["clouds"] = 0,
        ["clutterMaxDistance"] = 0,
        ["cockpitGI"] = 0,
        ["effects"] = 3,
        ["flatTerrainShadows"] = 0,
        ["forestDetailsFactor"] = 0.1,
        ["forestDistanceFactor"] = 0.3,
        ["fullScreen"] = false,
        ["heatBlr"] = 0,
        ["height"] = 1080,
        ["lights"] = 2,
        ["messagesFontScale"] = 1,
        ["motionBlur"] = 0,
        ["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",
        ["outputGamma"] = 3.5,
        ["preloadRadius"] = 150000,
        ["rainDroplets"] = 1,
        ["scaleGui"] = 1,
        ["sceneryDetailsFactor"] = 0.5,
        ["shadowTree"] = false,
        ["shadows"] = 2,
        ["sync"] = false,
        ["terrainTextures"] = "min",
        ["textures"] = 2,
        ["useDeferredShading"] = 1,
        ["visibRange"] = "Extreme",
        ["water"] = 0,
        ["width"] = 1920,

Set anisotropic x16 and leave feedback please.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

6 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Set anisotropic x16 and leave feedback please.

Is set to x16. "4" in the config is the 4th setting it seems.

grafik.png

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

1 hour ago, D4n said:

Is set to x16. "4" in the config is the 4th setting it seems.

grafik.png

Did you tried to increase, in DCS options menu, the visual range to see if it makes a difference?

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

8 hours ago, Blood-n-Guts said:

USS Forrestal: Added collision box to LSO platform, allowing placement of crew and objects.

Screen_220127_153434.png

👍 Thanks Heatblur for this addition in today's update

Very nice, but let’s also hope the cat walks get the same treatment! 

• Like 2

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

On 1/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, fagulha said:

Did you tried to increase, in DCS options menu, the visual range to see if it makes a difference?

I think it's already at max... Will check soon

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 3:14 PM, Jayhawk1971 said:

I think it would be easier - provided both parties had any interest in doing it - if HB consented for ED to incorporate the Forrestal into the paid SC module with all the SC features. The exact same treatment ED is (was?) planning to give the Stennis (one full fidelity version for the payware SC module, while the barebones version remains free to use).

Sure, it's probably not that easy to implement in case of the Forrestal (different dimensions may require a different AI pathfinding logic) as with the Stennis, where you'd probably just need to replace the CVN number on one of the existing "Roosevelt" subclass models  (plus maybe some minor cosmetic changes). But. I believe it will enhance the appeal of the SC module, and would be a nice gesture by ED towards owners of the Supercarrier who have been (and still are) waiting a long time for any improvements (A-model Tomcat still gets the Hornet treatment!).

SC has consigned the CV59 to become a m'husive Marie Celeste sadly. Cant help but think the SC's very early access (rushed??) release effectively cut the legs off any "CV plus" version HB was going to offer down the line

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

18 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

SC has consigned the CV59 to become a m'husive Marie Celeste sadly. Cant help but think the SC's very early access (rushed??) release effectively cut the legs off any "CV plus" version HB was going to offer down the line

EDIT: Albeit i don´t know if it is true or not i´ts a good point.

Edited by fagulha
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fagulha said:

EDIT: Albeit i don´t know if it is true or not i´ts a good point.

Its just how it "feels" to me. All speculation. No evidence whatsoever

Im not suggesting ED are the bad guys here either but, given HBs reputation for the quality of its work and the clear effort that has been put into the CV59 (not to mention the images of the Deck Crew that came to nothing) I think something happened to truncate development.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

3 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Its just how it "feels" to me. All speculation. No evidence whatsoever

Im not suggesting ED are the bad guys here either but, given HBs reputation for the quality of its work and the clear effort that has been put into the CV59 (not to mention the images of the Deck Crew that came to nothing) I think something happened to truncate development.

No worries because we´re only sharing personal points of view/opinions with no harm to DCS or HB, we only want it to continue improving. Healthy comments i think.

On 1/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, fagulha said:

Already on "extreme" value.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, D4n said:

Already on "extreme" value.

To be honest and thinking of it i think i have similar issue or at least i recall noticed it in one night landing, but i need to test/check (It´s been awhile from night landings).

On 2/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, BirdFarm said:

The forestall mast has a hitbox. Get creative. DCS 2022-02-08 11-03-31.png

This is probably more of a limitation with the mission editor than the Forrestal, you can do the same thing on just about every ship.

Unless we get something along the lines of a 3D editor.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...

Now that the great Forrestal is in, please add "Forrestal Case 1 easy crosswind" instant action missions (for both F-14s and some maps), with ~9° side-wind for easier landings than the current instant action mission "F-14A Persian Gulf Forrestal Case 1" for example (so that we have instant action missions with a near constant aircraft-vector).

Because since the deck is angled by 9° to the direction of the carrier travelling direction, in reality, (afaik) for recovery carriers optimally turn into a heading where wind comes a little from the left of the boat at an angle close to 9°, so the pilots don't have to make lots of rudder input, this is such a logical thing to do. This makes it so easy to catch 3-wires!

(formula: wind heading + 18° = carrier sailing heading, where "wind heading" = direction that the wind comes from)

Left side: straight wind, pilot has to continuously make rudder- and roll-corrections until landing, causing a very unstable approach, and more likely to miss the wire.

Right side: Wind pushes aircraft sideways so it basically stays perfectly on line with landing area, pilot only has to turn into the wind a little and make super minor corrections.

(example mission attached, no Supercarrier, reworked the HB mission.)

WindLanding.jpg

F-14A_IA_PG_case_1_recovery_easy_crosswind.miz

Edited by D4n

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 10:02 PM, D4n said:

(formula: wind heading + 18° = carrier sailing heading, where "wind heading" = direction that the wind comes from)

Not sure where 18 degrees comes from. I asked former and current Hornet drivers this and they told me "straight down the angled deck," which would be 9 degrees.

27 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Not sure where 18 degrees comes from. I asked former and current Hornet drivers this and they told me "straight down the angled deck," which would be 9 degrees.

The Hornet drivers maybe don't know what heading the boat is put into, related to the wind. Would be best to ask a former or current captain or air boss

2 minutes ago, D4n said:

The Hornet drivers maybe don't know what heading the boat is put into, related to the wind. Would be best to ask a former or current captain or air boss

Hum? how so? the BRC in DCS can be known by Comms, PLAT cam, or using the ruler in F10.  And in RL pilots on the marshall usually update the ship heading when they´re abeam or when passing the starboard side, using the CRS bug in HSI.

10 hours ago, D4n said:

WoD "straight down the angled deck" would be 9 degrees left of BRC, regardless of what the BRC is.

On 3/30/2022 at 7:19 PM, Gypsy 1-1 said:

So, when can we expect the much needed fixes to the Forrestal FLOLS appearence and brightness as well as LOD and the damage taking issue on a trap?

I play on VR and the FLOLS is just very bright to the point I really can't see where the ball is exactly.

• Like 2

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

2 hours ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

Yeah the LOD is terrible - it only really becomes visible (or barely visible) close in. As well as the fact that you can see the FLOLS LOD from 360° around the ship...

Yeah, that as well.

Also, am I the only one having many difficulties spotting the deck yellow and white lines? It is just a black deck for me until I'm very close. I have a Reverb G2.

Edited by Al-Azraq

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

On 4/10/2022 at 7:44 AM, Nealius said:

Nealius, the amount of difference between the carrier's heading and the wind is dependant on the wind's velocity as well as the carrier's speed. If it is your desire to have the wind "right down the angled deck", then it probably going to be more like a difference of 20-25 degrees. The best way to figure this out is to use one of the Super Carriers. You need to have an idea of which is of higher priority, carrier speed or carrier's heading (given a fixed wind direction and speed) in the mission you are building. I would start with a wind speed of 10 kts and set the carrier's heading 20 degrees to the right of the wind's direction. So if the wind is coming from the north ( 180 in the ME) I would set the carrier's heading to 020 and speed to 25 kts. Run the mission and go to the LSO's position to see what the wind over the angled deck is. An "S" or "P" will tell you how much of a crosswind component you have and from there it's just a matter of a little trial and error (or vector math) to come up with a "wind right down the angled deck". Any change of carrier speed, wind speed, carrier heading or wind direction will throw it off a bit.

Once you have the right combination of wind and ship speeds and directions, just swap the SC out for the Forrestal 👍

Edited by AG-51_Razor
Double post
  • Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

14 hours ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

Well, it's more realistic that way - make sure you have AF turned to 16x and in VR it's always going to be an issue. Generally I orient myself on the geometry of the ship, the wake and such. 

EDIT: Real carrier decks are usually pretty dark and markings, especially on the older ones like the Forrestal Class tend to be worn out as a cruise progresses. Here is one video example, albeit low quality: 

You are right, it looks pretty dark in that video. I guess it depends on how much time has passed since it was last repainted.

I would clear for an IFLOLS in DCS looking as clear as in that video!

When I was working on the 1988 skins to go with the Forrestal the photos of the decks were looking about like they are currently in the module. The photos as I recall were only a few months into the cruise, mostly during the NATO exercises in the north Atlantic.

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-helicopter-combat-support-squadron-6-hc-6-sea-knight-helicopter-picks-up-e5f52a?zoom=true

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-fighter-squadron-31-vf-31-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-lands-on-the-aircraft-carrier-8c6c35?zoom=true

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/an-f-14a-tomcat-aircraft-comes-in-for-a-landing-on-the-flight-deck-of-the-aircraft-5bf26f?zoom=true

By the end of the cruise it looked like this:

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-port-bow-view-of-the-aircraft-carrier-uss-forrestal-cv-59-with-a-formation-e2d5d3?zoom=true

It strongly depends on if the ship just rolled out of a refit/resurfacing or whether it's partway through a cruise. I get it, some folks want it right out of the dock but I'd rather something representing mid-cruise.

Edited by LanceCriminal86
  • Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]