CV-59 Forrestal Feedback Thread

IronMike

• 4 weeks later...

Is animated deck crew for the Forrestal still being looked at? Not trying to stir the pot, I just hadn't heard anything in a while (I'm patient). I hope that it is not a dead issue, CV-59 has that nostalgic effect and I enjoy it very much.

• Like 3

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

On 4/29/2023 at 5:27 PM, Jackjack171 said:

Is animated deck crew for the Forrestal still being looked at? Not trying to stir the pot, I just hadn't heard anything in a while (I'm patient). I hope that it is not a dead issue, CV-59 has that nostalgic effect and I enjoy it very much.

i was just about to ask that, isnt it possible to use the supercarrier crew as long as we have the supercarrier?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

13 minutes ago, eatthis said:

i was just about to ask that, isnt it possible to use the supercarrier crew as long as we have the supercarrier?

Negative. Only The static ones from the assets (Personnel).

The animated deck crew is a feature of the Supercarrier module only.

• Like 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

34 minutes ago, Coota0 said:

And the Stennis if you have the SC module.

The Stennis is part of the carrier module. 5 carriers, CVN-71, CVN-72, CVN-73, CVN-74 (Stennis), and CVN-75. The default DCS Stennis was updated but you only have the deck crew because it´s part of the Supercarrier module if you own it. WIthout the SC module the default Stennis won´t have deck crew.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Q3ark said:

Is there any way to turn down the brightness of the meatball lights? They’re so bright that they’re unusable. 

Unfortunately, no, long standing bug.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, we definitely need animated deck crew for the Forrestal! I assume most of us will be ready to pay for this feature! If ED or someone else will make a Vietnam map in the future this might be especially in demand.

Edited by Shmal
  • Like 5

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

So...had the Forest Fire out for, maybe the second time, and since I'm bouncing between ships in an egg beater actually took a look at it rather than blasting by at hundreds of knots.

Anyone else notice the radars all spin backwards?

Maybe it's just me.  Been a long time since I did radar training at A school, but every other ship in the fleet spun their dishes the right way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 10:21 PM, fagulha said:

Negative. Only The static ones from the assets (Personnel).

The animated deck crew is a feature of the Supercarrier module only.

no option to have them if you own both modules??

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

9 minutes ago, eatthis said:

no option to have them if you own both modules??

CV-59 is DCS core asset.

Animated carrier crew is only available on the CVN-71..75.

You can put the new deck crew members (they are core asset too) on other carriers manually but they will just stand there and look around scratching their head.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 12:49 PM, draconus said:

Unfortunately, no, long standing bug.

Has HB ever talked about this bug and their intention to fix it? Isn't it just to change a texture? There are mods to fix this issue with the SC carrier, looks quite simple to address 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RustBelt said:

My guess is as usual “Waiting for Vulkan” because anything else would be constantly chasing their own tail.

Yeah, like it's better to have wrong lighting for god-knows-how-many-years. Missions get broken too and no one waits for any new ME tech - they just need fixing and maintenance like every other part of DCS.

22 hours ago, draconus said:

Yeah, like it's better to have wrong lighting for god-knows-how-many-years. Missions get broken too and no one waits for any new ME tech - they just need fixing and maintenance like every other part of DCS.

Jam Yesterday, And Jam Tomorrow, But no Jam Today, Never Jam Today!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 8:08 PM, Nealius said:

Forrestal still appears to take damage when you trap on it. It's showing up as "hit" in my debrief logs.

I did a trap today on the Forrestal Instant Action (would be nice if we were about 5-10 more miles out as I have to rush so close) and testing out DLSS (didn't see a wake when I was trapping for some reason but did it see it from F2 view after I landed) and didn't get the damage notification when landing or in the debrief like it did the last time I used Forrestal (been awhile). 

Meatball light was still way too bright, though.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2021 at 8:20 PM, Northstar98 said:

Compare that to the real antenna, on the real Forrestal (source)

wgJq8HN.jpg

Quite late (and another more minor nitpick) but also note in the same image, the AN/SPN-43B antenna. This is the antenna seen just below the ESM antenna platform (with several AN/WLR-1 antennas) and can be seen very distinctly in these images:

bwT4e3A.png

ppCT8Tn.jpg

This should be identical (apart from being a much darker grey/black as opposed to a lighter grey) to the AN/SPN-43C antenna seen on CVNs 71-75 of the supercarrier module, as well as RAZBAM's LHA 1.

For a comparison, here's what it looks like on HB's Forrestal:

eQkJJrt.jpg

Here's what it looks like on CVN 71 of the supercarrier module (this is actually a SPN-43C, but from what I can tell, apart from the colour it's either near to being, or is, identical) :

Q0c94MY.jpg

Note that while this doesn't appear to be animated in-game, it looks much more accurate to the real thing.

And finally, RAZBAM's LHA 1 (where it's also animated and also has a more accurate mount):

r7mFIj5.jpg

For the HB implementation, the shape of the reflector is definitely on the right track, but the mount and the rest of the antenna is largely very inaccurate. The antenna also nods left-to-right instead of making full 360° with a period of ~4 s (15 RPM). What should be the IFF antenna is also in the wrong place and rotates independently.

There's plenty of images that can be found online by simply searching "AN/SPN-43", here's a few of probably some of the better ones

20191103000731.jpg

AN-SPN-43C.jpg

a-close-up-view-of-the-spn-pl-173p-carri

Another thing to be maybe note, is the Mk 23 TAS antenna, which is the acquisition component of the Mk 91 Missile Fire-Control System, used in the NATO Sea Sparrow Missile System. On HB's Forrestal it looks like this:

FfvwLm7.jpg

While certainly not as inaccurate as the SPN-43, the antenna and mount is somewhat inaccurate. While the overall dimensions are probably about right, the main points of contention is that the mount is incorrect - the real thing has the antenna sitting on a platform, which in turn sits on a yoke (the antenna platform being stabilised along the longitudinal axis of the ship). The acquisition antenna is the wrong shape (cylindrical as opposed to more of a flat shape) and is missing the back-to-back IFF antenna:

img114-035-01.jpg

The only good image I found of the back of the antenna (showing the IFF antenna) was this diagram on a archived report from Forecast International:

9kbpE9S.png

Obviously, these are again, minor nitpicks, but I thought I'd bring it up as Cobra mentioned that some elements would be tweaked in reply to the above post on the AN/SPS-48C.

Edited by Northstar98
added real images, grammar, expanded on differences
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.