JESTER LANTIRN Feedback thread

IronMike

@Super Grover

I tried posting this in general area but got no responses. If i go directly into direct head tracking everything is great. Can control crosshairs with precision. If i tell jester to qwp first ,then go into direct head track to refine position...crosshair becomes uncontrollable. I`ve attached two small tracks. One is immediate direct head control and the other is after telling jester to qwp. Hopefully you can figure out what my problem is.

head_norm.trk head_wonky.trk

1 hour ago, Super Grover said:

As I explained before, Jester automatically switches between WIDE and NARROW based on what mode he finds optimal for the current situation. Since a big part of his logic is built around this system, we don't plan to change it significantly at this stage.

I never noticed him change it once in over 3 hours of continuous flying in that Lantirn training day mission on my pilot Lantirn repeater. Under what circumstances does he switch between the two because even over the bombing range pinpointing armor and SAM targets, I never saw him do so for example.

Jester is quick to shout about good hit when there's still fireball on the ground. He probably should wait and check BDA after the dust fall down. It can be short when the bomb clearly hits the water though.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Really like most aspects of the new Jester Lantirn except for one thing, I have a hell of a time getting the crosshairs on targets with Qheadlook. Is there a way to get Lantrin skew on a binding rather than wobbling my head back and forth and back and forth then up a bit then down a bit then back again and now too far and back again the other way and jesus arrrghh!

56 minutes ago, Father Cool said:

Is there a way to get Lantrin skew on a binding...

Of course - RIO has full control.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

vor einer Stunde schrieb draconus:

Of course - RIO has full control.

Unfortunately we can't jump into the backseat in Multiplayer... So either Jester gets the job done, or we need a proficient human RIO on standby that has no family, job or life? 

Honestly the option to bind the throttle ministick axis' or keys to the "head control" sounds like a pretty precise alternative, for those who struggle with "head control".

I am not sure it's possible,but the option to switch seats in multiplayer by setting "solo flight" in the Mission Editor, is a pretty intriguing option. 

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Baz000:

I never noticed him change it once in over 3 hours of continuous flying in that Lantirn training day mission on my pilot Lantirn repeater. Under what circumstances does he switch between the two because even over the bombing range pinpointing armor and SAM targets, I never saw him do so for example.

He does switch zoom levels. But I agree it would be nice to have him zoom in on a designation to give the pilot a close look to PID the target and BDA. If this would be emphasized in the logic, without fiddling with settings that would be even better.

I find myself struggling most of the time to identify if the "SAM" currently designated is a real SAM, a MANPAD or AAA.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hello again! Thank you for the answer @Super Grover I appreciate the dedication!
Onwards to another curios thing I have experienced, if I may, and apologies in advance if this was reported already. I have found myself dropping an LGB, then Jester lasing it, and all of a sudden he spotted a close by enemy, which is usually great, but then right away he switched over to the TCS, stopping the lase. I believe because he wanted to VID the contact, to much of the LGB lasing demise. It seems like he does not consider the state of the master mode, as even after a dogfight, he stays on the TCS and refuses to switch to the LANTIRN, even when the bandit is going down in flames (not yet dead however, maybe that's the catch) and master mode air to ground. That is all I have regarding this behaviour.

Brief summary as I know you guys are super busy: 1. Jester can stop the lase of a bomb and turn on the TCS to check on a bandit; 2. Jester can refuse to use the LANTIRN in AG mode if the bandit he has in sight is not dead yet, despite the master mode being AG.

Appreciate your work again, cheers!

I always used control of LANTIRN through the pilot, simply transferring commands to the F-14 pilot, now the jester just interferes with the use of LANTIRN, personally I like to have full control over LANTIRN.
You have to constantly turn off the jester.

Летаю по священным скрижалям Хартмана

After playing a few missions it works mostly fine - really fun and immersive, thx. I'd appreciate some pilot voice lines in Qeyeball after designation like "Jester move it there" or sth, with a bit delay, to make this more human/believable - currently it feels like telepathy. Also the special option to disable Q direct head control would be great.

28 minutes ago, draconus said:

I'd appreciate some pilot voice lines

Sure, but consistency with pilot voices is messed up enough already in DCS at the moment. You can easily have 3 or 4 completely different versions in 1 flight.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

After trying it in Training Day mission. I have to say that Jester Lantirn is a good addition . Now i can play in MP without reinstalling that jester mod after every update. I love the extra voice line aswell. So thank you for adding this one

Although I wish we can control the lantirn using a FOV hat switch instead of using a head tracker Since turning off headtracker and using mouse give the same result and much more effective. Don't take this the wrong way but i feel like the head lantirn control is more of a gimmick to try to simulate Pilot-RIO interaction but in the end of the day its just the same as the Lantirn MOD. I coulnd't imagine how awfull this is for someone using VR.

Again thanks for this update

6 hours ago, ustio said:

Don't take this the wrong way but i feel like the head lantirn control is more of a gimmick to try to simulate Pilot-RIO interaction but in the end of the day its just the same as the Lantirn MOD. I coulnd't imagine how awfull this is for someone using VR.

Again thanks for this update

The head control works extremely well in VR. I think the way that the whole Jester LANTIRN system has been implemented is excellent. 

19 hours ago, Spartan111sqn said:

do we have zoom possibilities?, I didn't find the way to zoom in, maybe we have several enemy vehicles and we want to focus on one specific, and honestly I am not able to distinguish without zoom in.

do we have zoom or a way to say to Jester zoom in or out?

1 hour ago, Spartan111sqn said:

do we have zoom or a way to say to Jester zoom in or out?

No, currently Jester zooms as he sees fit.

• Like 1

The only bomb fall steering guidance to the pilot is the repeater, right? And Jester's aural cues. I can't use the HUD bomb fall line or the VDI (if I don't have the display repeater on) just wanna make sure I understand that correctly.

6 minutes ago, Baz000 said:

I can't use the HUD bomb fall line or the VDI (if I don't have the display repeater on) just wanna make sure I understand that correctly.

This one will have nothing to do with the LANTIRN designated target - just the usual ballistic fall trajectory.

So, the only visual steering cue I have up front is the horizontal line at the top of the Lantirn repeater display that has the moving vertical line, that when centered has me flying on centerline to the designated target to attack it.

That is the one and only visual indicator I have up in the pilot cockpit, right?

4 minutes ago, Baz000 said:

So, the only visual steering cue I have up front is the horizontal line at the top of the Lantirn repeater display that has the moving vertical line, that when centered has me flying on centerline to the designated target to attack it.

That is the one and only visual indicator I have up in the pilot cockpit, right?

yes, I think so