JESTER LANTIRN Feedback thread

IronMike

9 minutes ago, Baz000 said:

So, the only visual steering cue I have up front is the horizontal line at the top of the Lantirn repeater display that has the moving vertical line, that when centered has me flying on centerline to the designated target to attack it.

That is the one and only visual indicator I have up in the pilot cockpit, right?

Yes. There's also that little dot and AZ number if we're nitpicking but it's also on the repeater.

When you have the target set as a waypoint - you can also use that at higher alt (to give it time to correct itself for any bigger error).

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 10/26/2021 at 7:02 PM, Super Grover said:

Unfortunately, he is unable to track structures unless they are placed as static objects in the mission. This is a design choice and it won't change. The pod is able to track any object. However, the abundance of the objects in the scenery would make searching for targets offering some reasonable return of interest for a GBU very tedious.

This doesn't seem to work for me,although I placed the objects as static structures in the mission editor.
I did a test mission in NTTR, where I placed static objects ( Hangar) on a waypoint. Used the cue to WP mode on the waypoint in question and even though the Hanger is the only object and very clearly visible object  directly in the Lantirn FOV (after Jester cues to the WP) , Jester never targets it. I used search for targets -> any . He starts scanning right past it and then moves in circles but never picks it up, even though , as mentioned it is the only and by far largest visible object on the screen.

Am I doing sth. wrong? 

Regards,

Snappy

Edit:BTW , could there be "structures" field addded in the the search for targets menu?

Edited by Snappy

On 11/6/2021 at 3:13 PM, Snappy said:

Am I doing sth. wrong? 

Guess not. Tried with Hangar A and B, US and Joint Red - no go - does not find the target.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Tried this last night for the first time (bought F14 after a trial a month ago).

Previously I used the lantern mod and it worked great, but Jester is still early days, I hope...

- When searching for targets he misses blatantly obvious units and goes for ones outside of the window

- When select eyeball mode and selecting something 20-25m ahead the camera just looks into the body of the plane, when doing it manually with the mod you can zoom to the area and select a target fine

- When you have a target selected, for example a moving convoy, and you want to select the lead tank, its difficult because sometimes looking up doesn't move the lantern up, it kind of does nothing or moves about in the same spot a bit

- Using the lantern mod in combination with jester (to address its shortcomings) jester overrides anything you put in. Not realistic I know but at the moment using jester is a bit of a pain at times and it would be good to disable him so you can manually take over when needed

- Sometimes I have to fly over a target 2 or 3 times to get jester to select the target I want to destroy, which is frustrating when each time you line up for the target its perfectly visible to you, but he selects a different target and by the time you have either selected next target, select next target, select next target etc or messed around with the head tracking trying to move the pod your over the target already and have to go around again, being able to zoom from a distance would buy you some more time to lock the target you want

- Having some key bindings to select next target etc would be useful. I tried mapping key 4 o 5 (I think or was it 6) and sometimes it works, sometimes it does nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, a direct keybind for "look for any kind of target close to the center" would be great. I often usw HUD or SP Q mode to point into a general area, and using the jester menu while keeping the plane in direction is quite difficult.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

I have to admit I didn´t read everything, so it probably was already reported.

Don´t have a track either as it ocurred towards the end of a long MP-flight.

When you try to drop a GBU-12, but don´t have "ORD" selected in AG mode, because you still were on Phoenix from an A2A engagement before (and are stupid and in a slight fever like me...), Jester will start lasing at "imaginary" 10 seconds and call time to impact, although no bomb dropped.

Took me a while to find out why nothing exploded.

Maybe add something like "Hey, maybe select ORD next time, dumbass?"

On the other hand it may be nice this way for simulated drops without wasting bombs. Maybe Jester could say "No drop, simulating" or something like that.

• Like 1

21.11.2021 в 01:12, WolfK33 сказал:

I have to admit I didn´t read everything, so it probably was already reported.

Don´t have a track either as it ocurred towards the end of a long MP-flight.

When you try to drop a GBU-12, but don´t have "ORD" selected in AG mode, because you still were on Phoenix from an A2A engagement before (and are stupid and in a slight fever like me...), Jester will start lasing at "imaginary" 10 seconds and call time to impact, although no bomb dropped.

Took me a while to find out why nothing exploded.

Maybe add something like "Hey, maybe select ORD next time, dumbass?"

On the other hand it may be nice this way for simulated drops without wasting bombs. Maybe Jester could say "No drop, simulating" or something like that.

Happened to me as well. That's because A/G weapons are not selected by default when you select AG mode. You must select your bombs via the Jester menu (because more than one A/G weapon type may be loaded), hear him flip some switches and that should work. The easy way to check whether it's selected is the release queue on the right side of Lantirn display since it's only displayed when something to drop is selected.

Thanks, the problem in my case was that the weapon selector switch on the stick was not in the most downward/off position but still on Phoenix. All the stuff in the back was allright.

But my posting was more about that Jester didn´t notice that no bomb dropped when I pickled but started lasing at 10 seconds and told me time to impact. Although no bomb was released.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:34 AM, near_blind said:

LANTIRN LTS doesn't have Laser Spot Search, so the other aircraft will have to verbally talk you on to the target. If it's at night and they have IR laser capability, they could visually mark it. 

No.

So a NoGo on JTAC?

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

6 hours ago, AG-51_Sabot said:

So a NoGo on JTAC?

Nogo for a lazy or poorly trained JTAC perhaps. They can still pass you coordinates that are close enough that you can work the Pod onto a target, they can still do a verbal talk on, they can still mark the target with smoke, fire, or artillery. 

Launched a mission where I added additional waypoints using The Way tool. Set the QWP to one of these new WPs and Jester simply refused to line up the Lantirn pod with any of the new points. Had no problem pointing to original waypoints though.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

On 11/26/2021 at 5:59 PM, AG-51_Sabot said:

So a NoGo on JTAC?

For a great read on how F-14 did JTAC, I suggest the book "Black Aces High"? It's covering VF-41 deployment in Kosovo in 99, and there's a lot of info on how they worked the JTAC process out and applied it during their cruise.

A lot less straightforward than what I though, and a lot of lessons can be learned and applied in game from this book.

Edited by Cocker
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 8:38 AM, Cocker said:

For a great read on how F-14 did JTAC, I suggest the book "Black Aces High"? It's covering VF-41 deployment in Kosovo in 99, and there's a lot of info on how they worked the JTAC process out and applied it during their cruise.

A lot less straightforward than what I though, and a lot of lessons can be learned and applied in game from this book.

Thanks for the info, but will the game mechanic's allow it?  

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

1 hour ago, AG-51_Sabot said:

Thanks for the info, but will the game mechanic's allow it?  

As far as I can see, especially when playing with a human RIO, we're not very far from the truth, so yes. Can be helpful even with Jester!

On 10/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, Super Grover said:

We are considering adding other methods of controlling the pod in the direct head control mode, but on the other hand, we don't want to make it just another pilot controls for the LANTIRN mod.

Just adding my vote for a slew bind.

I really appreciate the work done on the QEYES and QHEAD and I do find that they have their place and use cases. However, I often find myself needing just a bit more precise control than the head movement in VR provides.

Edited by markbam

On 11/6/2021 at 3:13 PM, Snappy said:

could there be "structures" field addded in the the search for targets menu?

If these are not mission added objects they cannot be targeted automatically. You can use Head control modes though and Designate any point on the ground.

Just please, @Super Grover , make the head control VR circles focus at the same depth (distance) the VDI is. It was reported already, just making sure you have it on tracker.

1 hour ago, draconus said:

If these are not mission added objects they cannot be targeted automatically. You can use Head control modes though and Designate any point on the ground.

Just please, @Super Grover , make the head control VR circles focus at the same depth (distance) the VDI is. It was reported already, just making sure you have it on tracker.

I was talking about mission editor added structures, I know of that limitation.  As of now, Jester still can't find or target these in editor- added structures with the Lantirn.

Edited by Snappy

Bug report.

When going into lantirn contextual menu, and set Que to some waypoint, etc. Very often, Jester will get freaked out about air targets nearby and switched back to use TCS to try and identify air targets, EVEN THOUGH the mode is still at A2G, and I have no way of accessing the LANTIRN/A2G contextual menu again to set another Que point. 

Edit:

Additional info. If I turn off crew contract - set to No Talking. (Which shuts up Jester)

Then he will play along to A2G and focus on using the Lantirn rather than freak out about air targets around us

Edited by ivanwong1989

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have shortcut buttons for lantirn orders to jester? 

edit: anyway, relying on Jester is a stupid idea same as for AA. I put a markpoint on map right on target and he can't find it 🙂  he indentifies infantries as armored and wastes gbu's etc.. Dumbest AI ever in the game. 

Only solution is to make non multicrew tomcats so that we can switch seats

Edited by ebabil

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

In VR, When using the LANTIRN to designate a target for Lasing as pilot, the Red circle appears in double vision. on the F-16 there is a setting to change to both eyes which makes it clear.  Is there a way of doing this for the Tomcat?

Intel i9 - 149000K CPU @ 5.38GHz

MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

HyperX Fury 64gb 5200MHz

MSI MPG Z790

Logitech X-56      VR - HP G2 Reverb V2