JESTER LANTIRN Feedback thread

IronMike

6 hours ago, Spurts said:

For the second part you can tell him to go QDES I think.  Then he should slew to what you designated.

Yup, I was just about to come back here to update you all on that when I saw your reply, thanks.

So yes if you tell him QDES (or, in my case with AIRIO, "track designation"), he will bring it back.  Thing is, I wish he didn't switch to begin with.  If in the thick of things he switches and I can't get him to go back to designation on time, then the run was needlessly trashed.  I don't know why he would need to switch to begin with.

As for the TCS thing, still a problem.  Even if you have wingmen nearby to take out the bandit so you can do your run, Jester still switches to the TCS.  The only thing I can say further on this is that I noticed that if you drop even though he switched to the TCS and stayed within drop parameters, as long as the target is designated in the LANTIRN the bomb will still hit.  You just can't monitor it from the front to make sure you aren't masking.  But, it's still annoying that he switches

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

So I just used the ME to designate a ST nav point for the first time.  I placed it directly on top of my intended target.  When I had Jester snap to QWP to ST I could see the target offset.  Fortunately the target was not a structure so I could tell him to search for target type and we got the shack.  I want to do missions like this with the target being a structure and where I won't have time to do Head Control.  My question is why was it off?  Is there a desync between ME and the sim?  I thought INS drift but I was only in the mission for 20min, and the LANTIRN AFAIK has it's own GPS.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Spurts said:

So I just used the ME to designate a ST nav point for the first time.  I placed it directly on top of my intended target.  When I had Jester snap to QWP to ST I could see the target offset.  Fortunately the target was not a structure so I could tell him to search for target type and we got the shack.  I want to do missions like this with the target being a structure and where I won't have time to do Head Control.  My question is why was it off?  Is there a desync between ME and the sim?  I thought INS drift but I was only in the mission for 20min, and the LANTIRN AFAIK has it's own GPS.  Thoughts?

Think about it. Most modern aircraft INS store coordinates down to the second (DDMMSS) or better. The area each second covers varies at different points on the globe, for in for instance, Syria, a second is about 80 feet. The Tomcat's INS stores coordinates down to tens of seconds (DDMMS), which is ten times the error, or 800 feet. 

Say your target is at N 33°28' 0"   E 36° 4'35". A Tomcat with a perfectly aligned, perfectly functioning INS will only be able to store that waypoint as E 36° 4'3 or E 36° 4'4": which means when you QWP the LANTIRN, you're going to be off by 400 feet. The LANTIRN itself is able to generate more accurate coordinates, but for the initial point into an area, it's always going to be hamstrung by the F-14's INS' inherent lack of precision. IRL, F-14Bs were upgraded with an EGI starting in 1999, and F-14Ds had a completely separate, more capable navigation system, but we're using the janky original INS from the 60s. 

• 3 weeks later...

not LANTIRN related. but is it possible for the jester to stay in beyond visual range sub menu after using one of the ACM mode. i think if you use ACM modes, the next time you press Jester wheel is on Within visual modes.

Would it be possible to add the option to order Jester to change FOV while using LANTIRN? He stays in Wide FOV and I cannot identify anything.

• Like 3

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

I’m going to echo Al-Azraq, please please please!

8 ground targets, 4x btr 80 4x T90. I obviously want to use my 4 bombs on the T 90s but without being able to ID the ground targets I’ve no control over what gets hit. This doesn’t seem very realistic to me. 

Seems odd that we can ask jester to adjust all manner of things with the radar (that I imagine a real Rio would do off his own back) but not with the lantirn.

Please add this function, it’ll make a big difference to us ground pounders. 🙂

8AE4A892-F56D-42FD-846B-694BD20E8B65.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

I obviously want to use my 4 bombs on the T 90s but without being able to ID the ground targets I’ve no control over what gets hit.

Doesn't Jester identify the targets when designating? Or is it just "found armor"? I don't remember atm.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

46 minutes ago, draconus said:

Doesn't Jester identify the targets when designating? Or is it just "found armor"? I don't remember atm.

I think it’s just “found armour.” But that is an assumption on my part due to the text in the Jester wheel, I could well be wrong. I’ll check this morning.

Unrelated to zoom/fov control, but I had some rather odd behaviour with the lantirn in a night mission the other day, as usual it’s probably something I’m doing wrong.

If I had the NVGs enabled Qeyeball was not behaving at all, kept going all over the place. I noticed that it seemed to be mirroring my head movements in the vdi until I designated a spot on the ground at which point it would look in the opposite direction. If I designated something on the right of the aircraft it would look left. I put it down to Jester having a harder time because it’s dark, but if I turned off NVGs it worked properly again. Strange. But I’m more than likely just missing something.

Edited by Digitalvole

13 hours ago, Digitalvole said:

If I had the NVGs enabled Qeyeball was not behaving at all, kept going all over the place. I noticed that it seemed to be mirroring my head movements in the vdi until I designated a spot on the ground at which point it would look in the opposite direction. If I designated something on the right of the aircraft it would look left. I put it down to Jester having a harder time because it’s dark, but if I turned off NVGs it worked properly again. Strange. But I’m more than likely just missing something.

Remember that QEyeball =/= Direct Head Control. Direct Head Control is for steering the crosshairs on the VDI. QEyeball is like using a JHMCS and selecting something on the ground outside the aircraft. Jester isn't going to move the crosshairs to what you're seeing on the VDI, he's going to move the crosshairs to whatever is on the ground behind the VDI out the nose of the jet. 

Qeyes will always be a small circle, DHC will be a dot. 

8 hours ago, near_blind said:

Remember that QEyeball =/= Direct Head Control. Direct Head Control is for steering the crosshairs on the VDI. QEyeball is like using a JHMCS and selecting something on the ground outside the aircraft. Jester isn't going to move the crosshairs to what you're seeing on the VDI, he's going to move the crosshairs to whatever is on the ground behind the VDI out the nose of the jet. 

Qeyes will always be a small circle, DHC will be a dot. 

Thanks, but it’s ok I don’t have them mixed up 🙂 I must not be explaining it very well.

I didn’t realise when you have Qeyeballs selected the pod moved in real-time with my head movements (though this could just be a coincidence, it could be jester moving it around and by chance it was mirroring my head movements).

What was most confusing was if I selected a spot on the ground out the right hand side of the aircraft he moved the pod to the left side. Basically he’d put it on the opposite side I selected. But if I took off the NVGs it worked properly. I tried it a few times but it’s always possible I’m doing something daft, or I had a haunted Lantirn. 👻

Edited by Digitalvole