FPS Lost after DCS 2.7.7.14727 patch

Miro

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

How many of you are using global cockpit illumination and do you see any difference with it off?

Also turned off, without noticable effect.

I have the impression, that this is not related to any grafic options. Even when settings most low values, the frames are somehow limitted and it's stuttering.
In the following perspective, I have constantly between 55 and 68 FPS:

Screen_211025_131008.png

• Thanks 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

@BIGNEWY

I do not use GI, but ON/OFF is not much of a difference.

But what I always avoid, is having mirrors ON. I have them ON when taxiing,
but as soon I'm ready to be launched or ready to take-off, I switch them OFF.

On my system mirrors make a difference of ca. 10 FPS.

Concerning the clouds or weather presets, this is also very performance taxing.

To me, it seems the last patch screwed the whole DCS graphic system in some
way. I tried different settings and also different planes, as there are some cockpits
as f.ex. the F-14 which are quite demanding for the rendering process. Before the
patch, I did not notice any significant FPS loss (maybe 2-5 FPS loss). Now, I do
observe a loss of 10-15 FPS, but at least I do not have any stutter...

I have the impression that shadows are impacting performance in a strange way. Shadows have to be at least to low or middle and terrainobject shows to default.

If shadows are "only flat" or "none", then performance drops impressively (on my PC).

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

How many of you are using global cockpit illumination and do you see any difference with it off?
I turned it off to test it and it made a huge difference. I was at least I was able to fly. I'd previously been flying the same mission (channel map and issues only on french side of map. My cousin had the same problem) with it on without any problems before the recent update. For ref I did all the updates, repairs and reinstalled my gfx drivers and have no mods installed. The only thing that helped me fly again was turning gi off.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Always ON, but tried OFF just to compare what the visuals and performance impact is in latest OB, in "static" conditions (cold start, looking at the instrument panel). Performance gain was: Bf-109 - 1 fps, Fw-109A - 5 fps, Fw-190D - 5 fps, Mossie - 5 fps, P-47D - 4 fps, P-51D - 5 fps, Spit - 7 fps. Still didn't bring me to framerate comparable with previous build.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• ED Team

Thanks, we seem to be getting mixed results currently from users and our own tests. The team are aware and looking into it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

GI was first thing I turned off after this latest patch,  It brought GPU usuage down enough to maintain ASW fps in certain regards.  For me right now I get pre patch performance when weather is set to none aka the cloud slider thing in editor.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

1 hour ago, Enduro14 said:

GI was first thing I turned off after this latest patch,  It brought GPU usuage down enough to maintain ASW fps in certain regards.  For me right now I get pre patch performance when weather is set to none aka the cloud slider thing in editor.

I also did not see much noticeable difference turning off GI. The clouds made all the difference for me.

I just repeated my Benchmark (Marianas in TF-51) in 2.7.7

My baseline happens to have water on medium, so that's probably the reason, but I don't have any decline in FPS, if any I have tiny improvements (+.4 on average).

I have done another test with water -> high, which gave me a penalty of ~5% (3 FPS) to the above. That is the same margin as in the previous version of the game.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

hace 56 minutos, 206 Burner VR dijo:

Yea same here in VR 😞 Can't landing normally on the carrier. Lags, lags , lags.... 

I even have a decent rig (i9900k, 3090, 32rm 1200, windows 10 (not updated therefore it is not the culprit ...) therefore it affects all systems, not as they are saying that it affects low-end ones .

This FPS issue seems related to another issue in DCS: being the lack of asynchronous processing. I cannot tell if it is true, but it sure has the symptoms of it. Asynchronous processing means things run in parralel. Something a programmer would do to get data from files or online resources, while continuing to render. It is not the same thing as 'multi-core', but more multi thread.

This is very obvious when loading missions (in VR). Moving your head will create v-sync like issues. It is also very noticeable in multiplayer when internet latency comes into play.

Also, when the map loads while flying (preload setting) you will notice stutters while loading.

The relationship with the fps drop we  ow experience could be that frames are not rendered in advance (prediction) sufficiently by the CPU, resulting in low fps as the GPU cannot keep up with the realtime events. Or that the CPU prerender proces is too limited in resources, causing the GPU not maxing out.

Well, hopefully just an intermediate step towards Vulcan.

But from the multiplayer experience (also in previous versions), the architecture needs some work.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Limaro said:

I have the impression that shadows are impacting performance in a strange way. Shadows have to be at least to low or middle and terrainobject shows to default.

If shadows are "only flat" or "none", then performance drops impressively (on my PC).

Are you saying we need to turn ON ground shadows to get MORE performance? I always fly with Terrain Shadows to OFF, since they drastically affect performance in VR. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Reducing something is not an option for me unless sim looks like mid 90 and i got my FPS back. Simply someone put wrong number or comma in code, and here we go. There's a way to return to previous build? Why do I need new missiles for the Mi-24 if all I can hit is esc and quit game?

• Like 2

:pilotfly:

31 minutes ago, dutchili said:

BTW: in VR I reduced textures from mid to low and reduced pixel density from 1.7 to 1.5 to get my 'normal' FPS. To compensate for the lower pixel density i set MSAA to 2x instead of OFF (as i normally prefer pixels) and the other SS options to ON.

seems little point in ED releasing graphical enhancements if we all have to reduce graphical settings and resolution to compensate.

I suspect 2.7.7 (coupled with the simultaneous encrypting of metashaders, which precludes the use of many framerate saving shader mods) may be a bridge too far for many VR users without top spec rigs.

A 10 FPS drop for 2D may be managable, but for VR it's significant and will break the ability to lock motion reprojection for many in some/many scenarios - unless they drop resolution/settings and lose visual acuity.

All that said, this is a beta release so we should act like beta testers - report our findings and hope ED will find solutions. So for my part, and having performed accurate baseline testing achieved by averaging FPSVR stats taken using identical track files replayed in 2.7.6 and 2.7.7 with identical settings, I can confirm an 8-10 FPS drop across the board in VR.

I'm lucky enough to have the disk space to now have 2 OB installs, and one will be remaining on 2.7.6 for now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

20 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

A 10 FPS drop for 2D may be managable,

Its not. Certainly not for me. Just as it affects the reprojection it also affects the good ole vsync floor which many of us dinosaurs on sub prime rigs still rely heavily upon to produce a (mostly) smooth flowing experience. And I suspect there are a lot of us dinosaurs still roaming the DCS world if not the forums. 

• Like 6

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

8 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Its not. Certainly not for me. Just as it affects the reprojection it also affects the good ole vsync floor which many of us dinosaurs on sub prime rigs still rely heavily upon to produce a (mostly) smooth flowing experience. And I suspect there are a lot of us dinosaurs still roaming the DCS world if not the forums. 

Agree, try use trackir below 60 FPS, horrible motion lags.

Edited by Miro
  • Like 4

:pilotfly:

1 hour ago, ShaunX said:

A 10 FPS drop for 2D may be managable,

Nope, trackir get it's knickers in a knot if the frame rate is not a steady 60 or 120, so a 10 fps, hell even a 5fps loss, makes you want to pull your eyes or go a kick a few puppies, ok maybe not kick puppies but definitely the eyeballs thing.

• Like 4

hace 5 horas, dutchili dijo:

This FPS issue seems related to another issue in DCS: being the lack of asynchronous processing. I cannot tell if it is true, but it sure has the symptoms of it. Asynchronous processing means things run in parralel. Something a programmer would do to get data from files or online resources, while continuing to render. It is not the same thing as 'multi-core', but more multi thread.

This is very obvious when loading missions (in VR). Moving your head will create v-sync like issues. It is also very noticeable in multiplayer when internet latency comes into play.

Also, when the map loads while flying (preload setting) you will notice stutters while loading.

The relationship with the fps drop we  ow experience could be that frames are not rendered in advance (prediction) sufficiently by the CPU, resulting in low fps as the GPU cannot keep up with the realtime events. Or that the CPU prerender proces is too limited in resources, causing the GPU not maxing out.

Well, hopefully just an intermediate step towards Vulcan.

But from the multiplayer experience (also in previous versions), the architecture needs some work.

Yes, something of that must be, something in the processes, in VR there are very important fps tears that sometimes lead to the image returning to steamvr and then returning to the game.  Before the last patch it was not passing and I have a decent rig.

Has anyone tried uninstalling ALL mods and doing a slow repair after the update? Maybe something went wrong in the update process itself. Worth a shot, and can't hurt....

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.