FPS Lost after DCS 2.7.7.14727 patch

Miro

1 hour ago, Nevyn said:

Wow.

There's nothing to Wow about that, it is pure reality, like it or not (and i don't either but at least i know what to expect).
When i get a new game/rig i start at the lower end of the settings and then i only go up and even then i make sure i have some headroom so i don't have to tickle the settings every patch.
If you do it like most people, set everything to max and then have to go lower each time on your settings, dissapointement is your deal.
That's my almost 40 years of gaming experience in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

You are wrong, completely and utterly wrong. 

Maybe but then...you are the one who seems to be dissapointed, not me.
And i don't even have half the perfommance you have. I'm still playing....

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 2

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Simple fact is that ED absolutely suck at optimization. Since 2.7 to this day Ive lost 25FPS and I cant get that back no matter what (all) setting I lower, I gain maybe 5FPS back. So thats 25FPS down the drain for nothing, there isnt anything noticeable (except clouds they are pretty) for me to justify loosing 25FPS. Take your clouds and whatever else and shov.... and gimme my 25FPS back. Because now its nigh on unflyable. 

• Like 2

• ED Team

If you have short track replays showing a problem attach them, we can take a look.

thanks

2 minutes ago, Golo said:

Simple fact is that ED absolutely suck at optimization. Since 2.7 to this day Ive lost 25FPS and I cant get that back no matter what (all) setting I lower, I gain maybe 5FPS back. So thats 25FPS down the drain for nothing, there isnt anything noticeable (except clouds they are pretty) for me to justify loosing 25FPS. Take your clouds and whatever else and shov.... and gimme my 25FPS back. Because now its nigh on unflyable. 

what is your system spec and settings? 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
4 minutes ago, felipesm said:

I am optimistic.

Sure, give it a go once the patch is live, but as far as I am aware we have not got to the bottom of the issues some users are seeing, so don't expect a magic resolution 🙂

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Sea.png

Returned now from deep sea patrol. Screenshot taken 85 km from nearest land (i got 35900 preload radius), only sea, me and moon, and Petrovich ofcourse. Just look how my GPU hardly used, CPU sleeps (because nothing is nearby), EDIT: FPS is locked at 60 by Vsync this is important, because if it were 180 FPS, the graphics card would actually be loaded.

Edited by Miro

:pilotfly:

@Miro I have to dissuade you of something. CPU and GPU load are never good indicators of performance or lack thereof. Sure, sometimes they are useful in determining a problem in certain cases, but for the most part they can not be used to determine whether software is well or badly optimized. 

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

@Miro I have to dissuade you of something. CPU and GPU load are never good indicators of performance or lack thereof. Sure, sometimes they are useful in determining a problem in certain cases, but for the most part they can not be used to determine whether software is well or badly optimized. 

I fully agree with you, I am trying to show that maybe there is a problem here, I do not have screenshots from previous patches, but often as I checked it, even over land, the load was around 68%, Only over large cities it was 100% and slight drops in frames. I just put in everything that can lead the creators to some trail.

Edited by Miro

:pilotfly:

39 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

so don't expect a magic resolution 🙂

720P?

@BIGNEWY I have installed the Stable Version and between the OB and Stable there is, on average a 16 fps difference in any given mission when the system is running ok. Thats 20% on my rig.  Configs are Identical and Im running the very latest GPU drivers (Ive have also tried my old favoured 425 NV drivers with the same results).  There clearly is a problem, even if it is just for some.  I am happy to provide trks for both but is there any other information you also need?

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Don't have a trk file or recording to offer up but I do have fpsVR logs.

I had been away from DCS or my computer altogether for a couple months.

First pic is where my performance was when I left, 2nd is last couple days.

These are mostly flying FA/18 free flight, Caucuses.

before.PNG

after.PNG

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

• ED Team

patch is live, test and let us know if you see any difference. 

thanks

13 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

720P?

@BIGNEWY I have installed the Stable Version and between the OB and Stable there is, on average a 16 fps difference in any given mission when the system is running ok. Thats 20% on my rig.  Configs are Identical and Im running the very latest GPU drivers (Ive have also tried my old favoured 425 NV drivers with the same results).  There clearly is a problem, even if it is just for some.  I am happy to provide trks for both but is there any other information you also need?

No one is saying there is not a problem, but not everyone are seeing problems, and we have not found a reason for the issues currently some people are seeing. 

We continue to investigating, if you have short track replays showing an issue please attach them

• BIGNEWY changed the title to FPS Lost after DCS 2.7.7.14727 patch

@BIGNEWY, with all due respect, a track file is not going to show any problems on its own. We can see that ED have made graphical enhancements (which in my opinion at least, are quite stunning) and following that, as perhaps might be expected, there is a measurable increase in both GPU and CPU frametimes, leading to a decrease in FPS.

It is relatively easy to measure. Create a simple track file in 2.7.6. Replay it in 2.7.6 and capture framerate/FPS averages over the whole track (in VR for example, FPSVR does this very accurately). Then replay the track file in 2.7.7 with the same rig and settings and repeat the capture and compare the results. I can't believe the ED developers have not done something similar and must be well aware. Personally, I have seperate 2.7.6 ans 2.7.7 installs and measure an average 8-10 FPS reduction in VR with that method.

Unless users were already running close to the limit of what their rig and settings can handle smoothly, this might go unnoticed (which no doubt explains why not everyone is seeing a problem). But it's apparent from this thread that many users are at that limit now.

• Like 9

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

• ED Team
Just now, ShaunX said:

a track file is not going to show any problems on its own

maybe not, but it is a base to start from, we will try to reproduce using the same scenario, attach your dcs.log also and options.lua and we get a better picture. 

But also note everyone's machines settings drivers and hardware performance can be different. 

Failure to recognize the problem is to belittle users.  This post (hidden medium) where it speaks for itself, if you go through Discord, Reddit, the people who have this problem are many.  And there is another even greater one that does not participate in the networks that have told me that they also have fps drops.  Without another word.

• Like 3

in my opinion if you have a  fairly strong gpu and usually cap the game at 60 fps there is no way you are able the see any degradation

my gpu is quite weak and i have nearly zero loss of performance in the heaviest situations (marianas, big cities at very low altitude, on ground at huge airports with lots of units) but a massive 50fps loss at high altitude with external cam and only sky and my plane rendered.

Edited by MattCri

37 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

@BIGNEWY, with all due respect, a track file is not going to show any problems on its own. We can see that ED have made graphical enhancements (which in my opinion at least, are quite stunning) and following that, as perhaps might be expected, there is a measurable increase in both GPU and CPU frametimes, leading to a decrease in FPS.

It is relatively easy to measure. Create a simple track file in 2.7.6. Replay it in 2.7.6 and capture framerate/FPS averages over the whole track (in VR for example, FPSVR does this very accurately). Then replay the track file in 2.7.7 with the same rig and settings and repeat the capture and compare the results. I can't believe the ED developers have not done something similar and must be well aware. Personally, I have seperate 2.7.6 ans 2.7.7 installs and measure an average 8-10 FPS reduction in VR with that method.

Unless users were already running close to the limit of what their rig and settings can handle smoothly, this might go unnoticed (which no doubt explains why not everyone is seeing a problem). But it's apparent from this thread that many users are at that limit now.

New patch Installed. Using the method I described above I can actually see a small improvement of about 2 FPS in VR.

Edited by ShaunX

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

7 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

New patch Installed. Using the method I described above I can actually see a small improvement of about 2 FPS.

Hurray!!! 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Miro said:

For me 3-4 FPS Gain, still 10 FPS less than pre October 20

Yet another lucky one - Hurray! 😄 

In these last two updates the FPS lowered a lot and the only visual change is the water and its reflections, knowing that the water is under the entire map in DCS including under the ground, this is the most likely factor of the low performance, Before that I had the water on HIGH now I put it on MEDIUM but still it shoots a lot less FPS than before.

• Like 2

Same issues. Clean FXO and Meta, clean NV cache 1 of 2 - trk of stable to follow

BETA 2.7.7 HIND Cauc WP dcs_OB.log dcs_Stable.log options.lua

Stable trk

Stable 2.7 Hind Cauc WR

Win 10 1904, I5 6600K at 4.3Ghz OC, GTX 1080 Stock, 32GB 3000hz RAM @ XMP1.  

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

No noticeable change after patch: however; 

While pre patch, I had always run SteamVR Super sampling at 100%, sometimes 130% and had great visual clarity, 45fps with motion smoothing and no stutter flight... I decided to start lowering it with this patch. There was no change at all until I got to 60% SVRSS(8:46). While I did get back to pre patch 45fps and very smooth flight, I did loose (expectedly) clarity.

Is it possible someone simply fudged up the IPD multiplier or how it relates to SVR super sampling?

latest fpsVR logs

after patch.PNG

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark