Varjo Aero

Supmua

1 hour ago, cordite said:

But do you still have a warranty?

44 minutes ago, razalom said:

That is always the issue you wouldnt i guess unless that company allows you to ship back to them but then that is going to be a big cost as well.

Varjo will honor the warranty. But as razalom said, you'll have to shoulder the shipping. I never had to claim warranty so far so I wouldn't know personally. But a guy from Japan I think had his warranty honored by Varjo. To be clear, it was a VR3, not sure bout the Aero as its uncharted territory.

Edited by L0ngbow

Q & A Session with MRTV on Aero:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

14 hours ago, JayRoc said:

The Lenses look way better and the HMD seems to be o good step in the right direction...but the overall quality doesnt really seem to be worth 2000+$ (imho)

Based on that through the lens video there, I cannot imagine paying upwards of $2300 USD for a headset that seems visually similar to my Reverb G2.

It really doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table for DCS.

23 minutes ago, FoxTwo said:

Based on that through the lens video there, I cannot imagine paying upwards of $2300 USD for a headset that seems visually similar to my Reverb G2.

It really doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table for DCS.

He said it actually looks better than that, and that was simply the best through the lens shots he could get due to the aspherical lenses.

We’ll see what the buyers here have to say.

15 minutes ago, cordite said:

He said it actually looks better than that, and that was simply the best through the lens shots he could get due to the aspherical lenses.

We’ll see what the buyers here have to say.

Uh huh. Even if it looks "somewhat" better than represented in the video it doesn't look $1700 better to me.

Did anyone remember this Vive OG and Vive PRO Gear VR lens mod?

It is the question of what will happen if you do the same mod on Vive PRO2?
PRO2 is similar spec as Aero and such mod should fox most of the PRO2 problems and should be competitive with Aero for half of the price.

• Thanks 1

Varjo launch event stream, in case you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46diHmggYt4

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

8 hours ago, wormeaten said:

Did anyone remember this Vive OG and Vive PRO Gear VR lens mod?

It is the question of what will happen if you do the same mod on Vive PRO2?
PRO2 is similar spec as Aero and such mod should fox most of the PRO2 problems and should be competitive with Aero for half of the price.

Yeah the VP2 with custom lens mod would make it real hard to beat.  The screens are already really good and the edge-edge clarity is great, just not perfect due to suboptimal optics that pair with them causing outer layer glare.  It is more noticeable during web surfing/movie watching, but in not in most of my gaming experience--perhaps I don't glance to the side that much when I play.

Good optics can be expensive though.

Edited by Supmua
  • Thanks 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

The Varjo Aero Lens also use variable resolution across the lens.

Ao9YwUK.jpg

The Varjo Aero features a cutting-edge optical design that propels users to a new level of visual fidelity, pushing the pixels tighter together directly in front of you. The variable resolution lenses create an ultra-sharp peak resolution of 35 PPD, right at the centre of focus where it matters most – mimicking the way the human eye works. Alternative commercially available headsets max out closer to 20 PPD.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In a few years though, these features will probably be common in avg consumer headsets (provided that they can make cheap aspheric variable resolution lenses).  For now you have to pay the early adopter's price.  The launch event stream is quite interesting because they go through the techs used in the headset in detail.  This is not some shady company with vaporware products, they have two headsets (VR-3 and Aero) that are certified by EASA for actual pilot training.

1 hour ago, Slecht said:

Just another video, he got better thru the lens video's as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAbCfT-mpNE&ab_channel=VRFlightSimGuy

Looks awsome.

Very exciting!

Don B

According to the stream the full Aero resolution is 7762x3475 pixel in MSFS, which is extremely high.  That's why foveated rendering is baked in, since there's really no setup out there that can handle that kind of resolution without special tricks.  I'm not sure how they arrived at those pixel numbers since the screen panel is 2880x2720 each.

Another thing that sets it apart from a typical SteamVR headset is direct support for OpenXR without using SteamVR layer.  You can put it in either OpenVR mode or OpenXR mode.  This means that it will run MSFS better than typical SteamVR headsets (and hopefully DCS too once OpenXR is supported).

But what's even more interesting is that everybody is coming out with their own version of metaverse, and I believe this will soon have significant implications for day to day usages in just about everything.  Imagine a virtual pilot briefing room before you go off on an MP session, being able to look at maps, SAM sites, virtual targets, etc. in a true 3D fashion...or even a souped-up virtual chatroom similar to Discord but with 3D-avatars plus interactable virtual objects in a full VR environment.

EDIT: ok so they use NVIDIA's DSC 3:1 compression since DisplayPort 1.4 is unable to handle that kid of bandwidth (and why the VR-3 uses 2 video connections).  The combination of DSC and foveated rendering allows it to output high res signal at reasonable bandwidth.  This is why AMD GPUs are not supported at present.

Edited by Supmua

I will say the more I read and the more youtube I watch gets me even more excited for the Aero.

Don B

1 hour ago, JayRoc said:

Seems to be honest since he mentions some negatives...

Maybe check a page back 😉

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

22 hours ago, Supmua said:

According to the stream the full Aero resolution is 7762x3475 pixel in MSFS, which is extremely high.  That's why foveated rendering is baked in, since there's really no setup out there that can handle that kind of resolution without special tricks.  I'm not sure how they arrived at those pixel numbers since the screen panel is 2880x2720 each.

Another thing that sets it apart from a typical SteamVR headset is direct support for OpenXR without using SteamVR layer.  You can put it in either OpenVR mode or OpenXR mode.  This means that it will run MSFS better than typical SteamVR headsets (and hopefully DCS too once OpenXR is supported).

But what's even more interesting is that everybody is coming out with their own version of metaverse, and I believe this will soon have significant implications for day to day usages in just about everything.  Imagine a virtual pilot briefing room before you go off on an MP session, being able to look at maps, SAM sites, virtual targets, etc. in a true 3D fashion...or even a souped-up virtual chatroom similar to Discord but with 3D-avatars plus interactable virtual objects in a full VR environment.

EDIT: ok so they use NVIDIA's DSC 3:1 compression since DisplayPort 1.4 is unable to handle that kid of bandwidth (and why the VR-3 uses 2 video connections).  The combination of DSC and foveated rendering allows it to output high res signal at reasonable bandwidth.  This is why AMD GPUs are not supported at present.

Yeah those numbers made no sense to me, maybe they are doing some sort up up-sampling? I still see no details on foveavated rendering, from what little I can find, it might net you 5fps and it looks like crap. Can you expound on that compression you mentioned?

Excited about openXR though.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

28 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah those numbers made no sense to me, maybe they are doing some sort up up-sampling? I still see no details on foveavated rendering, from what little I can find, it might net you 5fps and it looks like crap. Can you expound on that compression you mentioned?

Excited about openXR though.

Those weird pixel numbers probably have something to do with binocular overlap, geometric correction, etc.

You can read about DSC tech here.  This is one of the reasons why NVIDIA is still ahead of AMD in the GPU arena, imo, more mature software solution especially when brute forcing with hardware can’t get things done.  AMD is catching up though, just not quite at the same level yet.

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/dsc-higher-fidelity-vr/

Edited by Supmua

2 hours ago, Supmua said:

Those weird pixel numbers probably have something to do with binocular overlap, geometric correction, etc.

You can read about DSC tech here.  This is one of the reasons why NVIDIA is still ahead of AMD in the GPU arena, imo, more mature software solution especially when brute forcing with hardware can’t get things done.  AMD is catching up though, just not quite at the same level yet.

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/dsc-higher-fidelity-vr/

Thanks, looks pretty cool, though I do worry a bit about "minimal latency" impact... As frame times are pretty important as you know.