Dynamic gross weight reading on kneeboard?

Airhunter

I get it, but then it would be just like the hornet. I'd rather do the math myself then that. I could get with it being in the Jester menu. Maybe labeled, "Jester Gross Weight" or "landing checks" rather than it be just hitting the DDI to see my stores page. IJS

• Like 4

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

4 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

I get it, but then it would be just like the hornet. I'd rather do the math myself then that. I could get with it being in the Jester menu. Maybe labeled, "Jester Gross Weight" or "landing checks" rather than it be just hitting the DDI to see my stores page. IJS

But you are not hitting a DDI? It's literally asking your RIO for the weight...

Asking jester to tell you a number? Seems a bit pointless. Having it on the kneeboard would be better.

”GTOW-“

”Max Trap Weight- 4400 lbs of gas”

• Like 3

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

43 minutes ago, BreaKKer said:

Asking jester to tell you a number? Seems a bit pointless. Having it on the kneeboard would be better.

”GTOW-“

That is what I originally meant - have a dedicated kneeboard page for it. Not saying it should be some Jester menu thing like the other guy suggested. I just made the comparison to real life being like asking your RIO.

Like the idea.  Doesn't the shooter need to know the weight for the cat? 

Maybe give you launch weight and let you calculate your ladder manually so it's not all new & fancy like the Hornet?

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

3 hours ago, BreaKKer said:

”GTOW-“

Disagree. It's better to make a solo driver ask Jester for it. If it gets constantly calculated on a dynamic kneeboard (like the F-18) then human RIOs will fall back on it also instead of calculating it themselves.

• Like 4

Considering there are still concerns about what the real weight of the jet is, it would be great to have the ACTUAL simulated gross weight with the current loadout, drag index, and take off trim setting (pitch and roll) on the kneeboard since we don't have access to the proper documentation to calculate it ourselves. 

Edited by mattag08
  • Like 4

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

1 hour ago, mattag08 said:

Considering there are still concerns about what the real weight of the jet is, it would be great to have the ACTUAL simulated gross weight with the current loadout, drag index, and take off trim setting (pitch and roll) on the kneeboard since we don't have access to the proper documentation to calculate it ourselves. 

Yup, especially given the A, B and most likely early and IRIAF A's will have different base weights.

Edited by Airhunter

6 hours ago, Airhunter said:

That is what I originally meant - have a dedicated kneeboard page for it. Not saying it should be some Jester menu thing like the other guy suggested. I just made the comparison to real life being like asking your RIO.

I was agreeing with you brother. But I do think having it on a kneeboard is like a cheat. Are you suggesting it just be on the kneeboard waiting for you to look at? A real pilot (solo) would have to do the calculations himself (except for in the Hornet). If you have a RIO, I'm sure he would do it for you. That's why I think it should be a Jester option. If it is available on a kneeboard to glance at at any given time and is dynamic, then it's just like the Hornets Checklist page. 

Edited by Jackjack171
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mattag08 said:

It is actually more simple than that. When Pilots come into Flight Deck Control, they put a weight chit into a box for the Shooters. It has asymmetric loads, weapons loads and fuel etc. That is the responsibility of the Pilot to know how much the jet weighs. You know what you loaded and how much it weighs. If solo, subtract how much fuel you've burned and how much ordnance that you don't have on the way back to the ship or whatever. It's just math! It may be painful to do for some so I get it, which is why I would like Jester to do it or I do it myself. Anything else I may as well jump into the Hornet to look at the DDI.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 4:18 PM, Airhunter said:

I think it would be pretty handy to have a dynamic gross weight readout on a kneeboard page

not realistic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

9 minutes ago, Airhunter said:

What do you mean? Did you even read what I wrote?

Yes, I have read all. You keep saying "it's like asking RIO" but it's not. You want it to have it calculated and for it to appear in the kneeboard but you're still against to really ask Jester through the menu. I could understand to have an option to write it down in the kneeboard by yourself.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

29 minutes ago, draconus said:

Yes, I have read all. You keep saying "it's like asking RIO" but it's not. You want it to have it calculated and for it to appear in the kneeboard but you're still against to really ask Jester through the menu. I could understand to have an option to write it down in the kneeboard by yourself.

I am not against a Jester option if that's feasible. If it really bothers you or ruins the "realism" for you then dont pull up said kneeboard page? I just think it would be neat to have, especially for like air starts and once we get the early and IRIAF A's with diffrent abse weights. Just a suggestion my dude. 

@ Airhunter It’s basic arithmetic. You get a weight chit and calculate max trap fuel state in two seconds. The weapons weights are all round numbers. If you shoot or drop something, then the pilot and RIO do the math in their head and cross check with each other. 

If you need a “dynamic kneeboard” you really need to look into joining the Air Force. 😉

I am reminded that a former high school Algebra and Physics teacher I see every day said that very few of her students could read the analog clock on the wall of her lab. The horrifying aspect is that they didn’t want to learn how to read the clock. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Viewpoints are my own.

Do 12000 - pylon weight (Phoenix rails, LAU-92,  and weapon weight. A 4-2-2 will show around 4200 bring back if nothing is shot, and a 1-0-2 with a full tunnel of GBU-12s is around 7550 bring back. This all makes sure you are under 54K. The 12K number is for tHe F-14B

Edited by BreaKKer

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

On 10/22/2021 at 3:34 PM, Jackjack171 said:

It is actually more simple than that. When Pilots come into Flight Deck Control, they put a weight chit into a box for the Shooters. It has asymmetric loads, weapons loads and fuel etc. That is the responsibility of the Pilot to know how much the jet weighs. You know what you loaded and how much it weighs. If solo, subtract how much fuel you've burned and how much ordnance that you don't have on the way back to the ship or whatever. It's just math! It may be painful to do for some so I get it, which is why I would like Jester to do it or I do it myself. Anything else I may as well jump into the Hornet to look at the DDI.

I know how to do a weight and balance. I'm a professional aviator. We do not have the requisite information to do what you are talking about. Since HB continues to refuse to give us this info, an auto-calculated kneeboard is the next best hope. 

5 hours ago, Victory205 said:

@ Airhunter It’s basic arithmetic. You get a weight chit and calculate max trap fuel state in two seconds. The weapons weights are all round numbers. If you shoot or drop something, then the pilot and RIO do the math in their head and cross check with each other. 

If you need a “dynamic kneeboard” you really need to look into joining the Air Force. 😉

I am reminded that a former high school Algebra and Physics teacher I see every day said that very few of her students could read the analog clock on the wall of her lab. The horrifying aspect is that they didn’t want to learn how to read the clock. 

If you have the W&B data for these weapons and the aircraft simulated, I'd love to have that info. 

Flying the DCS: F-14B from Heatblur Simulations with Carrier Strike Group 2 and the VF-154 Black Knights!

I also own: Ka-50 2, A-10C, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F-86F, CA, Mig-15bis, Mig-21bis, F/A-18C, L-39, F-5E, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-16C, Mig-19P, JF-17, C-101, and CEII

10 hours ago, Victory205 said:

It is like pulling teeth man, I can't even get my friends I fly with online to calculate how much time of fuel remaining they have while up in the air and converting PPH to PPM... I get answers like "I'll do the math when I'm on the ground" 

I just stop trying to explain the significance of such mental pilot maths at that point, and I don't even complicate the math... It is just simple multiplication and division. The low fuel states we experience is simply down to lazy VPs and negligence as well as lack of due diligence of actual flight planning.

Where is Captain Picard facepalm when you need it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1