Question about AG radar slew

ilikepie

noticed that when I slew the ground radar that the slew cross hair is acting like a new steer point with any designation.

I had stpt 1 selected and the corresponding distance to it from the AC. Started using/slewing the ground radar with out designating a point with TMS up and noticed that the distance on the HSI was changing is relation to where the AGR was "looking" rather than relating to the  AC/STPT. 

Question I'm asking is ; is this what is expected in it's behavior, should it be showing the change in distance on the HSI relative to the slewing of the AGR without designation. 

Could it be user error or a repair on the install needed ? Not calling it a bug as I have no idea if that is expected behavior

Action After Contemplation

FTT/designate is only an optional step and not commonly done as it is unnecessary and blanks the radar image. You can bomb buildings and tanks all day just by placing the cursor crosshairs over the target. My advice is not to unless there is some overriding reason. SPI in the F-16 is always at the radar cursors. Designating is strictly a radar function to enter a particular tracking mode. I'm assuming "with" is a typo for "without".

I get confused with "AGR" since that's a specific sub mode of the radar and not generally a generic term for air to ground radar. HSI steering should be to the steerpoint (convenient name, that) which does move with FCR slews. It's normal for the FCR cursor position to move steerpoint and therefore all steering display. Moving the steerpoint with FCR/TGP/HUD SOI moves the steerpoint and will move the steering indications with it as well.

11 hours ago, Frederf said:

Box is a coast track, diamond is an active track. I can't get FTT to act normally. Every time I designate the radar enters FZ mode instead of going FTT.

Thanks! What’s preferable? And what’s FTT ?

When I go in to the ds1 or ds2 levels I cant slew without freeze mode is that correct?

Just wait a few seconds until it scans the area again. It bugged me, too, until I got the hang of it. Also, you can increase the scan rate by narrowing the scan area (bottom left OSB, if I remember right).

Все буде добре

16 minutes ago, Kilo said:

Just wait a few seconds until it scans the area again. It bugged me, too, until I got the hang of it. Also, you can increase the scan rate by narrowing the scan area (bottom left OSB, if I remember right).

Okey will try thanks!

In newer F-16 you can CZ with TMS down, but not in this one. You need to press the OSB with the CZ label.

2 hours ago, Rakamora said:

Thanks! What’s preferable? And what’s FTT ?

When I go in to the ds1 or ds2 levels I cant slew without freeze mode is that correct?

You want the diamond, the real track. If it loses track it will coast just like the AA radar will coast if it temporarily loses a MiG-29. The hollow box in DBS2 is something I don't know anything about but consider it the same as solid diamond. I don't see evidence that it is possible to get into FTT-coast so ignore that idea right now. We don't actually have FTT either in DCS right now. It's being modeled as a pseudo-FTT-freeze "first stage" designation which is PPI with static radar image (which is a real thing, at least in -66v2). Designating again would do traditional B-scope FTT display and just the diamond and crosshairs (no image, just like older -68 radars). I don't know if it's correct because I'm looking at info for nearly but not exactly the same -68 info and contemporary -66 info. They are different.

The "snapback" feeling is weird and probably wrong. When you stop slewing over a certain frame's image it shouldn't jump back on the previous frame to the old location and then only update on the next frame. The cursors should remain where slewing stopped on the current frame's location and the next frame's update updates the image practically seemlessly. That would eliminate that "snapback" effect which is quite jarring to experience. If you have patience though and ignore the snapback the next frame will be where you left your cursor when you released.

Edited by Frederf

That's weird. TMS right cycles the sighting point rotary. The TGP should just follow slaved to the FCR cursors at all times without any input from the pilot. I see how it's doing it in DCS but that's not how I understand it working at all. If TGP is already tracking then SOI away from TGP won't cause an immediate break track but it will if there's any slew/track activity done with the radar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frederf said:

That's weird. TMS right cycles the sighting point rotary. The TGP should just follow slaved to the FCR cursors at all times without any input from the pilot. I see how it's doing it in DCS but that's not how I understand it working at all. If TGP is already tracking then SOI away from TGP won't cause an immediate break track but it will if there's any slew/track activity done with the radar.

I've wanted to say something on this subject but just assumed it was very WIP. It's my understanding from the (admittingly old) "publicly available" pilots guides that because of the F-16's single LOS concept, in A-G when FCR is SOI and a slew is commanded then the TGP will break lock to follow the SPI. Likewise when TGP is SOI and in a track mode then FCR will break lock to follow SPI.

Edited by Crptalk

Ah, I think I've found out what the solid-diamond v. hollow box is. If you haven't slewed and SPI is on steerpoint then designation designates the steerpoint location as hollow box. If you slew some cursor deltas in away from steerpoint and designate it is a solid diamond. I guess it lets you designate the coordinates in the jet directly instead of attempting a radar track. The coast solid-square is something else and would be in place of the solid-diamond during a brief loss of track.