Upgrade from rift s to quest 2 worth it?

Tricky11

Morning all. I currently use the rift s for dcs but I'm wondering if the quest 2 is a worthy upgrade at all? I do have a quest 2 in the living room but no link cable at the moment. Just wondered if anyone has upgraded to a  quest 2 and what are their thoughts.

Cheers

I believe that you can connect up to your PC using wifi.  Give it a try and do let me know the result, as I’m considering the same.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have both and the Quest 2 is definitely a step up in terms of image clarity and virtually no screen door, compared to the Rift S. The only thing I've found is my wifi is not quite good enough to eliminate stutters so I use it with a link cable.

Also, with the link cable, I have it connected to a powered USB hub, this way the headset holds it's charge and I can fly for as long as I want without draining the battery. I found that just using the USB ports on my motherboard the headset wasn't getting enough charge and the battery was draining, limiting my time in DCS.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

39 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

I have both and the Quest 2 is definitely a step up in terms of image clarity and virtually no screen door, compared to the Rift S. The only thing I've found is my wifi is not quite good enough to eliminate stutters so I use it with a link cable.

Also, with the link cable, I have it connected to a powered USB hub, this way the headset holds it's charge and I can fly for as long as I want without draining the battery. I found that just using the USB ports on my motherboard the headset wasn't getting enough charge and the battery was draining, limiting my time in DCS.

Cheers for the info buddy.. 

48 minutes ago, despinoza said:

i upgrade form rift s to G2 and the answer is yes. Is a massive improvement.

The question was regarding going from Rift S to Quest 2. Unless that's a typo you are referencing Reverb G2.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Worth bearing in mind that there was an announcement today that the G2 is getting a mid-life hardware update (better cable and improved tracking), whilst Oculus are supposedly bringing out the Quest 2 Pro, which "might" bring eye tracking and a bunch of other goodies.

Personally I'm going to wait and see the news over the next month.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Worth bearing in mind that there was an announcement today that the G2 is getting a mid-life hardware update (better cable and improved tracking), whilst Oculus are supposedly bringing out the Quest 2 Pro, which "might" bring eye tracking and a bunch of other goodies.

Personally I'm going to wait and see the news over the next month.

Well Oculus Connect is the 28th of this month, so not much longer to wait on any Quest news.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just now, Mower said:

Price REALLY needs to come down on this hardware.

Quest 2 is priced really well for what you get. Long as one don't mind the Facebook Account requirement, which obviously offsets some of the cost of the headset. And you can use it either with the Link cable connected to your PC or via Airlink if you have good wireless connection.

Doubt will ever see VR headsets below this price, at least for a while.

Don B

Upgraded from Rift S to Quest 2 and from a 1080ti to a 3080ti and it is worth it. The quest 2 isn’t confortable but buying VR Cover solved this issue.

Clarity is better and I don’t really need more clarity now and trade more FPS for it. The quest 2 is really easy to setup and it’s a flexible headset. I play with the câble. The sharpening new feature is really great and worth the shimerring increase (and I hate shimerring) from my point of view.

Waiting the 28th sounds a good idea. Personally, I really need to play without AWS and reprojection, so I makes my choice by trying to identify the headset that would not challenge my GPU.

I need now to upgrade my CPU but I am waiting the 12th gen and first feedback.

Update: 

my colleague who bought my rift S told me that he skipped the facebook account by creating a developer account. I don’t try it myself…

Edited by Chapa
  • Like 1

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

6 minutes ago, Mower said:

Facebook is a problem.  It is (and always was, like degenerate google) a DATA MINER.

That is what supplements the lower cost of the Quest 2. The money they make off mining your data.

Will be interesting to see if this rumored upcoming Quest Pro will be offered without FB requirement and how much it will cost. Imagine how valuable the data would be to FB if they through eye tracking are able to focus on what exactly you are looking at in the headset for targeted advertising. I imagine that info would be very valuable to FB to have and to sell.

For now for me I prefer to stay away from Oculus as long as they have this FB requirement.  If not for that I likely would already have ordered the Quest 2 on release.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I don’t like Facebook and before buying the Q2, I asked me the question.

The fact that Google knows everything I am looking for, Netflix what I am watching, some stores what I am buying etc…

Not sure, that I am really concerned with Facebook knowing I am playing DCS… not great but I am not sure that Steam is really better in this regard.

Having some diploma in data science et machine learning, for me, the true issue with data isn’t really where media push everybody to look. It is not great for sure but it sounds for me impossible to be consistent today by boycoting the Q2 for this reason (data collect and selling is everywhere) Would be better without the Facebook account for sure…

Edited by Chapa

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2