Proper USAF Pattern Entry to start Overhead Break?

Hawkeye91

There are hundreds of videos out there of doing overhead breaks but not a single one talks about the proper USAF procedure for entering the upwind for the overhead break. I want to create some realistic mission scenarios and I'm just curios what the procedure would be fo getting to the upwind. I'm guessing more than anything its ATC vectors onto the upwind course of the runway, but even if it is, is there a standard way they sequence you into the pattern? Another appreciated tid bit would be, what is the standard descent profile to pattern altitude?

Edited by Hawkeye91

Getting to initial is going to depend on local procedures.  Could be a VFR entry point, could be a standard arrival, or could be vectors.  Initial is typically a point 3-5 miles from the end of the runway - 1500' AGL.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We do use the charts from the official manual:
grafik.png

Either you have a human controller in MP missions that vectors you, or you manually go to the entry / exit north / east/ west / south and proceed from or to there. 1500' or below. But going by the official map from the kneeboard is no bad idea imho.
I do not know if this is the official chart for Kutaisi in real life, but it is certainly something you can fly by using TACAN or simply coordinates.
Viggen guys usually follow their TILS which works in a similar way, F-16 is fine with TACAN and I always put a steerpoint in the middle of the runway as a backup and as an additional reference for ILS in bad weather. Mirage works in a similar way. I have no clue about the hornet, the charts are from the A-10 ages but those work with all the planes in our squad. IFR means the human ATC might vector you to the IP. Visual follows the chart- note that it usually follows not only radials but also landmarks like rivers, city borders (poor citizens) and similar visual references.
At least that's how we do it, and it works fine. It also works fine for deconfliction between landing and departing flights.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:47 PM, TobiasA said:

We do use the charts from the official manual:
grafik.png

Either you have a human controller in MP missions that vectors you, or you manually go to the entry / exit north / east/ west / south and proceed from or to there. 1500' or below. But going by the official map from the kneeboard is no bad idea imho.
I do not know if this is the official chart for Kutaisi in real life, but it is certainly something you can fly by using TACAN or simply coordinates.
Viggen guys usually follow their TILS which works in a similar way, F-16 is fine with TACAN and I always put a steerpoint in the middle of the runway as a backup and as an additional reference for ILS in bad weather. Mirage works in a similar way. I have no clue about the hornet, the charts are from the A-10 ages but those work with all the planes in our squad. IFR means the human ATC might vector you to the IP. Visual follows the chart- note that it usually follows not only radials but also landmarks like rivers, city borders (poor citizens) and similar visual references.
At least that's how we do it, and it works fine. It also works fine for deconfliction between landing and departing flights.

Probably a silly question, but could you advise where I find these charts please.

Thank you