DCS: House Atreides Ornithopter

Munkwolf

Who wants to build it with me? (mostly kidding... i am decent with code though...)

flyable Ornithopter mod

Some assets for harvesters, worms, etc

use Syria until ED approves us to use map tools to build Arrakis

Edited by Munkwolf
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

Nah, just the books 🙂 Did not watch the new movie, not even the trailer. Trying to put those books into a movie or series can nothing but fail.

Just realized with this topic i did not read them in a decade now btw 😮 Time flies. Guess this winter will me be busy reading them again 🙂

I read the book many moons ago, back in the 80s. But I still like a good movie. 

Lynch FTW! 

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Played Dune 2000 a lot back then, but too long for me to remember, I was quite young at the time so don't really remember the story in the game nor the books

I see what you guys are talking about https://cnc.fandom.com/wiki/Ornithopter_(Dune_II)

Oh, it's a general term ... heh.

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 2

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Ornithopter in DCS would be invincible if it were shielded.

Also did anyone else notice how the instrument panel was totally steam gauges? What a great detail, considering any sort of computers are banned in this universe. Great looking vehicle and cockpit.

• Like 3

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Halloween Sale is the wallet killer. Halloween Sale is the little-death that brings total annihilation. I will face the Halloween Sale. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see the modules I already have. Where the Halloween Sale has gone there will be no new modules. Only the ones I already have will remain.

Seriously, I need to catch the movie. It's actually supposed to be pretty good. And if we can have an Xwing mod in DCS, why not an Ornithopter? 😛

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 4

I watched the new movie a couple of days ago.  Thought it was ace.  It's worth being aware that it only tells "part" of the story and clearly they're intending to make follow ons.

• Like 3

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

WB and Legendary just greenlit a sequel, shame they just didn't let Villeneuve film them back to back, but this is still a Win in my book. Movie is awesome (although, the books will always be superior). 

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

WB and Legendary just greenlit a sequel, shame they just didn't let Villeneuve film them back to back, but this is still a Win in my book. Movie is awesome (although, the books will always be superior). 

Given how quickly it was announced after part one's debut, one could be lead to think that.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Do not forget this Ornithopter.

Closer to the modern version in design than the Lynch movie's version the game was based on. (Edit: You see the ornithopter only in the first two seconds of the vid, after that it's - Dune.)

dune-4.jpg

Edited by ams999
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

On 10/27/2021 at 7:32 AM, NoCoolName66 said:

Nice.. this could be a fun little project over holiday break after i get current keybinds project update wrapped up

Just found this as a possible reference Cockpit/Ornithopter design.

https://assets-prd.ignimgs.com/2021/10/28/ornithopter-cockpit-1635422491206.jpg

https://www.ign.com/articles/dune-how-denis-villeneuve-designed-the-ornithopters

I am already seeing 3d print crysknives on thingiverse/yegi.  How long before there is a Thopter there? Ever reference helps right?

Best of luck to everyone on this project.

• 1 month later...

When you view that video how real does it look to you? Does it appear real like too real to be a prop or special effects? That aircraft could be real but not from here. So for that it would require FLY BY WIRE CODING as it would depend on it for stability. HIGHLY ACCURATE NAVIGATION SYSTEM and wind effects modelled for vertical wing movement. It is possible to build something like an Ornithopter and do not be surprised if you were to see a real one someday. 

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

I've seen the 1980's Lynch movie many times, probably at least 10 times. I hated it the first time, but grew to love it as a niche movie.

Then I saw the Scifi Channel mini-series both Dune and Children of Dune, which were... unique and interesting, but hard to recommend these days. The CGI was... um... well "poor" doesn't even come close. Enhance the graphics with your own imagination. 

but the latest Dune movie I was anticipating greatly, largely on the strength of it's amazing director,  Denis Villeneuve: Prisoners, Sicarios, Arrival (Amy Adams alien invasion with one 'splosion and one shootout... and still awesome movie), and the Blade Runner sequel.

Sooo much anticipation, that during the wait, I went and bought the book and finally read it.

Best scifi book I've ever read, and I've read a few really good ones. And an easy read compared to some (Altered Carbon was a bit of a slog for me though I love the story).

the  latest Dune movie is the first half of the book, so the ending is a bit abrupt for many viewers, but is the highest quality movie I've seen in a couple years. The acting, dialogue, photography, sets and desert locations in Jordan... editing all top notch. The ONLY criticism I have is that in a couple scenes the sound drowns out important dialogue for a minute or so (between Paul and his mother in the wake of the attack, and in the tent). 

The ornithopter in the newest movie... amazing. It looks and flies like one really might!  They actually filmed real helos they were using for filming, doing landings, so that later they could digitally remove the helos, keep the movement and dust, for the ornithopters...and it just WORKS. Though they don't look very lightweight... but the wings are HUGE, like they belong to an Mi-26... which could easily  handle an Ornithopter like in the movie if it were made of steel instead of aluminium or titanium...

• Like 3