Windows 11, maybe leave it a bit guys!

Ok so tonight my Windows update notified me that it was ready for Windows 11. Now because I was a bit bored, curious and stupid! I clicked accept.

The upgrade is quick and easy and Windows itself feels a bit snappier and looks new and interesting. All my files and programs etc were where they are suppose to be too. I even ran a quick CPUZ bench to check my AMD 5600x score and it was identical.

I also updated it and checked for the AMD fixes from Microsoft update and AMD, so all drivers are right up to date.

Both DCS and I-L2 performance in game is properly down. I can get a constant 60fps everywhere, I took a F-16 down at 100ft over Dubai to check. This is without Vsync, on Windows 10 68-82fps, on Windows 11 44-64fps. As I said this is with the AMD fix installed. 

Luckily its very easy to switch back to Windows 10 and DCS is now back to normal.

I checked every setting I could nothing made a difference in Windows 11, however. I did notice my Dram usage was much lower showing 17gb usage when its normally around 26gb. 

I like shiny new things. I like to keep up to date and that. However for DCS and other sims I dont think Windows 11 is quite ready yet.

My specs for reference, AMD 5600x, X570, 1tb Nvme Gen 4, 32gb DDR4 320 C14, 6800xt.

If you want to try anyway, you should be ok to. I found it dead easy to go back. I upgraded, tested and was back on Windows 10 in under 3 hours. So no real issue or panic its just 3 hours I could have spent shooting Migs! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not planning on updated to Win11 any time soon, I was never a fan of fixing things that aren't broken, and for me the start menu is a giant leap backwards.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I had been aware of the Window 11 AMD problem and following the tech websites for any updates. After upgrading to Windows 11 I made sure that the AMD update was applied along with the latest AMD chipset drivers which address the preferred core problem. I also double checked my graphic settings along with VBS and HDR off. My graphics driver for my 6800xt was also updated. It was just so obvious there was a performance hit beyond my hardware reaching its limits.

I fly with 60fps Vsync enabled so my Track IR is in sync with what is on the screen. I could see in the overlay that my CPU was running 4.0Ghz, my GPU was at about 70% and my Dram usage was at about 17Gb. So something else was causing a problem. The stutter panning the Track IR around was constant. This was on all my maps and checked in F-16 and FA-18. Like I said I simply rolled back to Windows 10 and everything is fine now. I just enjoyed a few hours in the F-16 in one of the DCE Persian Gulf campaigns. Butter smooth 60fps as normal.

If anyone has an idea on something I might have missed let me know. For now I will stick to Windows 10 for a bit. 

I shortly tried 11 on my new 5900 system and it was meeehh. I had a serious performance loss but I cannot for sure tell it was 11 only as I had a freeze bug as well that caused me to install 11 first place as I couldn't find the fix in 10 so I gave it a shot. Sadly I carried the bug over, also in DCS with a bad performance, somewhere around 25%ish loss in fps.

But I ran DCS on my 8700k with 11 and had no such loss iirc. If I dont remember a loss, there was none, that's my logic here. With the 5900 and 11 the loss was so obvious that you cannot not remember it, hope you get what I mean.

I might try 11 on this rig again, just for the kicks, I will play around with it for a little longer before I put a final install on it anyway, it installs so quick, even quicker if this damn Gigabyte Bios had a working Netboot but it doesnt.

I for one am lucky that I found the culprit for the freezes on this Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master board, it's any version of SIV they have, install it on my specific rig at least, 10 or 11, and you get annoying freezes watching YT, gaming, etc.. rendering the whole system useless for anything content related. Type a letter, yes ! But for that I dont need 12 cores and 64GB, ehhh

It's nothing new, Gigabyte has just the same rubbish software bundled with their systems sometimes as Asus has, great hardware but the Software...not really.

Edited by BitMaster
  • Thanks 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well I am glad I am not the only one to experience this. The thing for me I dont have much installed on my system, its just a straight gaming rig thats mostly dedicated to DCS. Even my Steam and Origin folders are on another separate SSD. The fps on Windows 10 was pretty much perfect for me regarding DCS. On Windows 11 it was like I was using another machine completely, roughly a 20-25% loss. 

I just spent 2hours and 39 mn watching the interview of two ethic hackers (working for Cyber security) and there was a very interesting bit on how to secure Windows:

One of them explained the French DGA (Direction générale de l'armement) have very stringent requirements for the number of their contact and customers using Windows.

The E.U published a list or measures to take in order to securise Windows but according to the intervied guy, it start with "Hardening" asked as technical measures applied to the O.S to reinforce the level of security, among which 200 measure; unistalling useless services, getting rid of the "guest account" etc.

There is a real concern about Windows level of security and it is directly linked to the way Microsoft uses users data, those data can easily be hacked and leaked, so when one company works with a Defense Industry Agency, they just can't got away with standard Windows settings.

You might not be concerned about this aspect of using Cyber functions (like online gaming) but I am and this is one reason why I do my outmost best to disable/uninstal all of those services and prevent automatic update which is one way to transmit the data collected by all those applications to Microsoft.

You might want to inverstigate the subject for yourself...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

My upgrade icon has also appeared too. From what I have been reading best is to lay off for a while.

But thanks for testing for the community and sharing with us your findings

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

HI Sun4eg

Thanks for the suggestion. I dont thing its HAGS, I am on an AMD card with a VRR monitor, ( I keep vsync on though). Hags is not an option available in my graphics settings. That was in Windows 11 and in Windows 10. 

To anyone that wants to test regardless, I am sure some of us want to upgrade to Windows 11. I know I am teaching most on here what they already know! Run DCS on Win 10 and check your fps in something like a quick free flight. If you upgrade to Windows 11 and you see a loss on the same free flight scenario. Quickly check the obvious like drivers, VBS, HAGS etc. If you have no luck do this. Windows settings, Updates & Security, Recovery then click Go Back and follow the instructions.

The only things you will lose doing this is if you installed something AFTER the update. Anything you had BEFORE the update will be where you left it. I know because I did it. The one thing Microsoft got right was the update and go back process, its really simple.

An extra click after context clicking a file when the options presented aren't what you want (which is most of the time) to select other options and finally the thing you want to do.

The replacement of Copy, Cut and paste options with an iconic equivalent, on that same context menu. WHY!!!???? Everythign else is text. Why make those 3 icons?

There might be others but those two are a constant annoyance. On the plus side... nope, I can't think of anything!

Yeah I didn't spend long using Win 11. I got the impression that my icons had moved, the right click menus were more annoying. It took longer to get into deeper settings. It also seemed geared up to social media users and felt more like my Android phone. 

I liked the look but I actual missed the more practical feel of Win 10. I'm on the fence.