I’d pay good money for a Hawker Typhoon

nick10

Totally agree, unfortunately I don't see ED having this planned anytime soon...

Even though 16 Squadrons in the 2nd TAF operated them during operation overlord and up to VE Day. A further 9 squadrons in ADGB. 

We don't even have a AI one...

I would love to see ED produce it to displell some of myths that have come around over the years. Unfortunately for us afflicted by adoration for the Typhoon it seems that the Mossie was selected to fill in it's role as more information is readily available... Flying examples etc.

However the Mossie, which I adore, just doesn't fill in the for the Typhoon... By far the best ground support aircraft operated by the RAF in Europe. 

For example I was looking for information on the Mossie being used in Cab Rank missions, couldn't find any. 

I really hope that they give this the green light someday, a much maligned aircraft used in extremely dangerous missions that history has seemingly forgot. 

Edited by Krupi
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I agree, read Fenrirs post here regarding, assumed, requirements ED make when selecting aircraft to produce. 

Also that thread links to an ED interview which directly mentions the Typhoon 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/242085-future-of-dcs-video-amp-hawker-typhoon/

Edited by Krupi
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

2 hours ago, Krupi said:

I agree, read Fenrirs post here regarding, assumed, requirements ED make when selecting aircraft to produce. 

Also that thread links to an ED interview which directly mentions the Typhoon 

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/242085-future-of-dcs-video-amp-hawker-typhoon/

Yes the posts in that thread detail the problems of modeling these aircraft well.

ED may not model these aircraft but it’s possible 3rd party developers will. However with a lack of data and reports from pilots of flying examples how much will just be invented?

I need this plane in my DCS hangar ASAP, after a G6 and P-38J

• Like 3

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

4 hours ago, Magic Zach said:

I need this plane in my DCS hangar ASAP, after a G6 and P-38J

these are my exact 1,2, and 3 choices. good taste

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Both the Typhoon and Tempest would be amazing…

… but as has been posted many times before - how do you model an “extinct” aircraft and engine to DCS standards??? 😢

I’ve tried to search for a running Napier Sabre quite a few times - based on that (admittedly limited research) I don’t think anyone even knows what one sounds like

(that’s why the vid of the Jumo engined 262 was SO exciting - seriously!! that’s a “real” 262, running on actual 262 turbines…!  just WOW)

Would be seriously exciting to reach the same point for a Sabre engined aircraft👍👍👍)

ETA - and if anyone thinks Napier’s “H” 24cyl Sabre engine is complex… just search for their 18cyl Napier Deltic marine / rail engine🤪

Edited by rkk01

24 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

… but as has been posted many times before - how do you model an “extinct” aircraft and engine to DCS standards??? 😢

I’ve tried to search for a running Napier Sabre quite a few times - based on that (admittedly limited research) I don’t think anyone even knows what one sounds like

(that’s why the vid of the Jumo engined 262 was SO exciting - seriously!! that’s a “real” 262, running on actual 262 turbines…!  just WOW)

Would be seriously exciting to reach the same point for a Sabre engined aircraft👍👍👍)

ETA - and if anyone thinks Napier’s “H” 24cyl Sabre engine is complex… just search for their 18cyl Napier Deltic marine / rail engine🤪

Extinct is a good description 🙂

There are rumours of running Sabres but they may actually be examples of other Napier engines. 

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

There are rumours of running Sabres but they may actually be examples of other Napier engines. 

There’s at least one project to get a flying tiffie back:

https://www.facebook.com/www.thetyphoonproject.org/

the other reason I like the typhoon is so many countries have some history around this machine. Often pretty brutal given the work was attacking ground forces in the face of heavy flak. 

Sure it was a British invention, but the nature of the RAF at the time means so many pilots from around the world flew it and used it to liberate Europe. 

Australians, Canadians, Kiwis, French and Belgians. 

Edited by nick10
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Point me to the flying Jumo 213... 

Only running example I am aware of is in the D13 in America. 

Also... Extinct?

We have two Typhoon projects on the go and at least one Tempest Mk V. 

Three Mk II also with one looking to be readying for flight quite soon. 

• Like 1

Project IX Cockpit

4 hours ago, Mogster said:

No there is around a dozen examples around the world and two at least are known to be in running order or are in the middle of a rebuild. 

Project IX Cockpit

7 hours ago, Krupi said:

Point me to the flying Jumo 213... 

Only running example I am aware of is in the D13 in America. 

Also... Extinct?

We have two Typhoon projects on the go and at least one Tempest Mk V. 

Three Mk II also with one looking to be readying for flight quite soon. 

I never referenced “flying” examples as my benchmark…. but it took me about 30 seconds to find a video of a Dora engine run.  

The point being, as much as I’ve looked, I still don’t know what a Sabre sounds like - there’s no online video evidence.

Re “extinct”… I did use these “…” - ie it’s as good as, at the moment. RB396 is still a box of parts, but it does look like they are making progress on the rear fuselage.

BUT - that Sabre is still the missing link… until the RB396 project get the ex-Cranfield Sabre running, the engine and the aircraft remains “extinct” - boxes of parts or stuffed museum exhibits.

I really do wish them every good fortune in getting RB396 running, or even flying again.

There are similarities with the Jumo 004 engined 262 - absolutely exhilarating to see and hear it ground run, but who would dare fly such a rare airframe and engine?  

Both the Jumo 004 and Sabre had a lethal reputation for failure and killing pilots.  10 hrs between strip down is often referenced for the jet - but I understand they were an early and easy “refit by replacement”.  Pretty sure I’ve also heard rumours of 10 hrs service life for the Sabre as well

Regarding the Tempest II, in the context of this discussion, it’s a totally different aircraft.  If we are going to have a Bristol Centaurus engined fighter, we might as well go straight to the Sea Fury - which would be a dream in DCS

Edited by rkk01

Typhoon isnt extinct. There is an intact example sitting in RAF Hendon for example. Its barely been flown, it was loaned to the Americans to test, and they put it in store with a couple of hours on it.

As far as flight modelling, it surely can be much harder than the FW190, which other than a few a few replicas has only one single example in the world flying witht he original engine. You use the flight test data, and fill in the blanks using interviews with veterans (im sure there must still be a few out there) or written accounts.

Yes, Id bag a tiffie as well, it would be a good choice.  Id prefer a Tempest, but a Typhoon fits better with Normandy and the Channel maps.

Perhaps its just finger trouble on my part, but it seems to work better on the B than on the A?

I’ve seen the Hendon Typhoon…

It’s as irrelevant to DCS as the BBMF Lanc.  There’s more chance of getting data from the RB396 project (it is now at Duxford…) and of RB396 getting airborne, than of getting access to a unique National artefact in Hendon.

I’m not sure that people are getting my “extinct” reference…. These museum exhibits aren’t living breathing examples - they are like the stuffed animals in Natural History museums.

Duxford is distinctly different (in the UK) - just seeing drip trays under the aircraft tells you that

• Like 1

By 1943 the teething issues of the Napier Sabre had been pretty much solved.

But even in 1940 it was able to run over a 100 hours so I don't know where your 10 hours comes from, I have never heard that before. 

RB396 is definitely our best hope of hearing a Sabre running, followed by Kermit Weeks Tempest Project. 

Project IX Cockpit

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

I never referenced “flying” examples as my benchmark…. but it took me about 30 seconds to find a video of a Dora engine run.  

The point being, as much as I’ve looked, I still don’t know what a Sabre sounds like - there’s no online video evidence.

Re “extinct”… I did use these “…” - ie it’s as good as, at the moment. RB396 is still a box of parts, but it does look like they are making progress on the rear fuselage.

BUT - that Sabre is still the missing link… until the RB396 project get the ex-Cranfield Sabre running, the engine and the aircraft remains “extinct” - boxes of parts or stuffed museum exhibits.

I really do wish them every good fortune in getting RB396 running, or even flying again.

There are similarities with the Jumo 004 engined 262 - absolutely exhilarating to see and hear it ground run, but who would dare fly such a rare airframe and engine?  

Both the Jumo 004 and Sabre had a lethal reputation for failure and killing pilots.  10 hrs between strip down is often referenced for the jet - but I understand they were an early and easy “refit by replacement”.  Pretty sure I’ve also heard rumours of 10 hrs service life for the Sabre as well

Regarding the Tempest II, in the context of this discussion, it’s a totally different aircraft.  If we are going to have a Bristol Centaurus engined fighter, we might as well go straight to the Sea Fury - which would be a dream in DCS

That’s the problem with RB396 being such a rare airframe and the Sabre. Merlins are a relatively known quantity but still incidents do happen. They may get the Sabre running, but would you fly it, in that airframe? It’s the same with the Paul Allen FW190 D13, it’s mostly original so it’s historical value is so great you can’t risk flying it sadly.

Of course if you have complete blueprints, as with the recent find of Mosquito documents, then you can build an exact replica and getting an airworthiness certificate will be much easier.

Edited by Mogster

35 minutes ago, Mogster said:

That’s the problem with RB396 being such a rare airframe and the Sabre. Merlins are a relatively known quantity but still incidents do happen. They may get the Sabre running, but would you fly it, in that airframe? It’s the same with the Paul Allen FW190 D13, it’s mostly original so it’s historical value is so great you can’t risk flying it sadly.

Of course if you have complete blueprints, as with the recent find of Mosquito documents, then you can build an exact replica and getting an airworthiness certificate will be much easier.

That is quite the stretch to compare it to the sole example of a D13 which quite understandably they would rather keep grounded. 

There is currently only one Typhoon which is a museum piece. RB396 is being rebuilt from a recovered crash landing so that would make two, make it three with the Canadian Typhoon. 

Then you have multiple surviving Tempest II and V airframes not including those in restoration to fly with Sabre and Centaur Engines. 

On top of this you have multiple Sea Furys. 

All of these aircraft are based upon tweaks of the original Tornado Airframe design. 

So I would hardly call the airframe rare, complex yes but not rare. 

The Sabre is of course a rarity, however the fact that the Tempest continued to use the power plant shows that most of the issues were dealt with, it was even a contender in the Sea Fury at the prototype stage. 

There are currently at least three projects that all aim to get a Napier Sabre up and running and more importantly flying again. The folk who are doing this know far more than you and I on the difficulties in achieving this and they are still forging ahead so clearly they don't see the power plant as an issue. Even if in the end they decide the engine is too big a problem to overcome they can redesign the engine mount to accept a comparable engine... Griffon etc. 

More importantly RB396 have been given the green light by the CAA/EASA. That is of huge importance. 

Edited by Krupi
  • Like 1

Project IX Cockpit

6 hours ago, Mogster said:

I just also want to point out that the current Mosquitos flying did not benefit from the recent discover of blueprints in Broughton. This find has enabled the People's Mosquito team to develop their own mold in the UK. 

The late Glyn Powell, the driving force behind the Mosquito revival, and his team in New Zealand didn't have the benefit of a full set of blueprints and spent a great amount of time researching and climbing in and over mosquitos in museums in order to get a picture of the assembly and build up a parts list... an incredible feat. 

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

The Typhoon would be a no brainer first day purchase, if only ....

• Like 3

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

5 hours ago, Krupi said:

I just also want to point out that the current Mosquitos flying did not benefit from the recent discover of blueprints in Broughton. This find has enabled the People's Mosquito team to develop their own mold in the UK. 

The late Glyn Powell, the driving force behind the Mosquito revival, and his team in New Zealand didn't have the benefit of a full set of blueprints and spent a great amount of time researching and climbing in and over mosquitos in museums in order to get a picture of the assembly and build up a parts list... an incredible feat. 

Yes. The People’s Mosquito team have said the Broughton blueprints make manufacturing the parts and applying for the necessary certification much easier. 

I’d sure buy a Typhoon module.

If not a module, then an AI one will be fun. Goes well with our Spit IX and Mossie FB.VI.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!