Clouds do not cast shadow on water

Aarnoman

DCS Version: DCS Open Beta 2.7.7.14727 

Brief description of bug: Clouds currently only cast shadows on terrain, but not onto water.

Expected behaviour: Clouds cast shadows on all surfaces including water.

To reproduce:

1) Mission with clouds set in daytime.

2) Observe lack of shadows on water.

This: (in game screenshot)

Example1.png

Should look more like this - note the continuation of the terrain cloud shadow into the ocean, as would be expected (quick mockup in GIMP)

Example2.png

Why is this important: Cloud shadows serve an important function from both a graphical and gameplay perspective.

The graphical function is fairly self explenatory - because shadows are cast on both terrain and water in real life, it will naturally look more authentic.

The gameplay function perhaps not as much: shadows help break up the monotonous ocean surface, allowing for more accurate interpretation of altitude/distance. This has been partly improved already through the addition of the improved water shaders in this open beta update. However, with the addition of cloud shadows casting onto the water surface, this will be singifcantly enhanced, further enhancing the naval environment within DCS.

Edited by Aarnoman
Example2 added
  • Like 10

Addendum example mission on Caucasus, as requested.

See spawned unit and look north - you will see an image as follows. Note the lack of cloud shadow over the water. This is the case for any cloud preset on any map.

Note, don't confuse the water shaders for shadows - they occasionally mimic the look of shadows when directly under a cloud, but as can be seen from a distnace, the clouds do not cast a correct dynamic shadow on water surface.

Screen_211028_194858.png

CloudsNoShadowTest.miz

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

this still happens in DCS 2.9

i am not seeing a problem with your screenshots. from my perspective, the dark spots on the water are shadows. forgive me if i am missing something.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

this still happens in DCS 2.9

Screen_240316_192631.jpg

Screen_240316_192624.jpg

Screen_240316_192418.jpg

Your pictures aren't very self-evident, unlike OPs were. Hard to judge from a still, what are hard shadows in a seemingly more overcast environment. Not dismissing your claim, I just think the examples aren't the best to make your case.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 weeks later...
En 16/3/2024 a las 22:53, Hiob dijo:

Your pictures aren't very self-evident, unlike OPs were. Hard to judge from a still, what are hard shadows in a seemingly more overcast environment. Not dismissing your claim, I just think the examples aren't the best to make your case.

then improve them and put them yourself to see if your examples are better...

En 16/3/2024 a las 21:37, silverdevil dijo:

i am not seeing a problem with your screenshots. from my perspective, the dark spots on the water are shadows. forgive me if i am missing something.

what you are missing is that if you are happy with these pixelated shadows by miles this is not your place, I encourage you to search (on google for example) how are the shadows of the clouds on the sea seen from the air so you realize that this post is about trying to report to ED that these shadows on the sim are not as they should be.

as simple as that, there are two kinds of people, those who try to make this sim as realistic as possible trying to help ED by providing evidence and those who only settle for the basics without any criteria, choose which side you want to be on.

Edited by Ala12Rv-Muscat

Sin-ttulo-3-zpskg9bm6js.png

19 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Muscat said:

then improve them and put them yourself to see if your examples are better...

It's your case, not mine. Jeeze, I was just giving a bit of feedback on your examples...with good intentions.

I won't lift another finger. Mainly because I don't like the demeanor in your last post. Good luck! 🤗

• Like 4

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

@Ala12Rv-Muscat Please post a DCS track showing your issue, along with your options.lua file (from "Saved Games/DCS.../Config"). We'll be able to check whether we get the same result or not.

Or try purging your shaders (DCS "fxo" and "metashaders" folders, both located in "Saved Games/DCS.../" - also purge your GPU shader cache).

By the way, when this thread was created, there was no cloud shadow on water. Zero, nada, zip. Your issue is different.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

This is a strange one. Here's two pic from the same flight. Clouds on 'Standard', water on 'High'

From one angle the cloud shadows very clearly, and sharply, stop at the coast.

clouds 1.jpg

From a different angle (looking towards a low sun) the shadows do seem to be there. But they are only visible when contrasted against the sun's glare.

clouds 2.jpg

OK, I'm on Team 'Cloud Shadows Are There' - but - they are not as visible over the water as over land. A lot depends on the type of cloud and its altitude.

Quick vid and some pics (Water high, clouds standard)

clouds 8.jpg

clouds 7.jpg

clouds 9.jpg

clouds 10.jpg

This last pic was from 22k (online) and I couldn't make out any shadows. The clouds, IIRC, were at 12k. Don't know if this is realistic.

clouds 5 22k.jpg

Test Normandy Clouds Test.miz

Edited by Lixma 06
  • Thanks 2

Maybe it is more a problem with how the water is rendered in DCS, then with the clouds?

I mean bodies of water leave a lot to be desired still in DCS (shallow water/surface layer being to transparent e.g.)....

It is not the most vital part of a flight sim, so I get that there is probably more important stuff to be improved. But still....

Edited by Hiob

6 hours ago, Hiob said:

Maybe it is more a problem with how the water is rendered in DCS, then with the clouds?

Could be. It might also be the case that with current tech increasing the shadow effect over water to look more realistic will make the shadows over land practically solid black.

Couple more pics of real cloud shadows over water.

cloudshadows 2.jpg

cloudshadows 3.jpg

Compare from game to real life 

clouds522k.thumb.jpg.52c1a4a081421498491e5c7b8fecddb8.jpg

Cloud_shadows_on_the_sea (1).jpg

cloudshadows1.jpg

They should look more consistent between water and land. Shadows are caused by blocking of sunlight, not any material properties. They come "on top" of things they're cast on, the reduction in light intensity is visibly uniform.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Flappie said:

@Lixma 06 I agree they don't look the same over the sea, but its that a bug? Dirt stops the light, but water does not.

Normandy.trk 176.36 kB · 1 download

I don't think it's a bug, more an unintended feature of the current engine.

Here's a couple of photos over land and sea. Similar clouds* casting similar shadows.

image.jpeg

* meteorologists don't @ me

Edited by Lixma 06
  • Like 1