F4U Corsair and the R-2800-18W

mytai01

I just found out that the Corsair has a version of the same engine as the P-47D, the R-2800 Double Wasp. That's great since it could help in getting the Corsair out of the hangar and into the air...hopefully.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

1 minute ago, mytai01 said:

I just found out that the Corsair has a version of the same engine as the P-47D, the R-2800 Double Wasp. That's great since it could help in getting the Corsair out of the hangar and into the air...hopefully.

In what way exactly ? Corsair is developed not by ED .

Another thing that engine used in corsair is not exactly the same as in P-47, corsair don't have turbo, it uses 2 stage 2 speed superchargers.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

just my opinion.

i would think ED, though not the creator of the Corsair, would provide input on the engine. just for the simple reason there will be those that compare the P-47 and Corsair for differences not effected by the turbo/superchargers. imagine having to argue the main bearing in one behaving differently in a dive without damage? so i wouldn't think they'd be starting at 0. they'd probly have to start a forum just for the R-2800.

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2021 at 9:04 PM, JimBo* said:

just my opinion.

i would think ED, though not the creator of the Corsair, would provide input on the engine. just for the simple reason there will be those that compare the P-47 and Corsair for differences not effected by the turbo/superchargers. imagine having to argue the main bearing in one behaving differently in a dive without damage? so i wouldn't think they'd be starting at 0. they'd probly have to start a forum just for the R-2800.

Every developer has a proprietary approach to how they code their modules which is as different as to how the various countries and manufactures installed and regulated similar engines. The coding for how ED developed the Merlin for the Mustang and the Spitfire is probably very different even though it was done by the same developer. I asked a similar question when back when the P-47 and the F4U were announced.

• Like 1

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Yep, when you get right down to it, about the only thing that the Corsair and the Jug have in common are the total number of cubic inches and the fact that P & W made both of their engines. Different props, different cowl flaps, different induction and different exhaust systems. I would bet that the limitations for the engines are quite different as well.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...
On 10/24/2021 at 6:04 AM, JimBo* said:

just my opinion.

Third party may have different approach in engine modeling. So any code would be useless for them.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

On 10/23/2021 at 7:54 AM, mytai01 said:

The R2800-18W was the variant used in the F4U-4.

The F4U-1 and early F4U-1A was originally powered by a R-2800-8 engine, late models of the F4U-1A as well as the F4U-1C and the F4U-1D (the one we are getting) were powered with R-2800-8W engines which added a water injection system. Alternatively just check the source shared above.

• ED Team
On 12/26/2021 at 12:18 AM, Cool Breeze said:

The coding for how ED developed the Merlin for the Mustang and the Spitfire is probably very different even though it was done by the same developer. 

😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 11:18 PM, Cool Breeze said:

The coding for how ED developed the Merlin for the Mustang and the Spitfire is probably very different even though it was done by the same developer. I asked a similar question when back when the P-47 and the F4U were announced.

Coding for merlin 66 by ED was just copy and paste of existing V-1650-7 from DCS P-51, only high gear supercharger is different.

Coding for F4U and P-47 is different because done by different devs. Unless third party devs purched engine model code from ED.

Edited by grafspee