F-16's AIM-9 slave mode

falconbr

Dear Sirs,

I would like you to consider the revision of current implementation of AIM-9 uncage behavior and AIM-9 missile diamond slave to target designator box.

Namely, when conditions are:

- AIM-9 L/M selected,

- SLAVE/SPOT modes selected,

- Radar lock-on is obtained,

the missile seeker diamond (small size) stays in the center of missile reticle. The uncage command is needed to slave missile seeker diamond (big size) in the target designator box.

Once uncage, the missile seeker diamond can not recage.

The pictures are as follows:

tlOZEYn.jpg

0Uj4W54.png

The above mentioned is different from any real life manual and HUD videos that I have studied.

I think that correct procedure should be as follows:

- AIM-9 L/M selected,

- SLAVE/SPOT modes selected,

- Radar lock on is obtained,

- Missile diamond (small size) is automatically slaved to target designator box,

- Pilot maneuveres the plane to place the target within missile azimuth limits,

- When proper IR condition is meat, i.e. the tone is reliable, the uncage is need to verify that the missile seeker diamond (big size) tracks the radar target,

- The the missile seeker head (diamond) can recage to small size (inside target designator box). If BORE mode is selected the diamond is recaged to borresight position (center of the missile reticle).

That corresponds to the process depicted in the following picture:

WEoa48b.jpg

Any answer will be appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

Very best regards,

falconbr

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

According to many dogfight and training videos on youtube it seems that real slave mode works differently IRL. 

When on slave mode, the missile seeker should slave on the radar lock without having to press the uncage button. The seeker will of course be caged with the small rhombus showing. The pilot can still uncage the missile with the HUD showing the bigger rhombus.

In other words it should work like this:           

Another video showing how slave mode works, this time on an older F-16C block 30. It should work the same: 

Edited by trelos57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team

I can show the team but its difficult to use video without knowing the blocks and software being used.

If you have any other evidence please PM me

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

57 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I can show the team but its difficult to use video without knowing the blocks and software being used.

If you have any other evidence please PM me

thanks

Hi,

This functionality is common to all C blocks.

PM sent.

Best regards,

falconbr

• ED Team

merged posts, 

yes seems it is already reported, my search skills failed me on this Saturday morning 🙂

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to F-16's AIM-9 slave mode
  • BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone, it has recently come to my attention that the AIM-9, while in Slave mode on the SMS page, will not actually slave it's seeker to the RADAR Line Of Sight. Instead, once an STT lock is gained, it is stuck to the boresight cross. However this is incorrect, as the AIM-9 seeker should  be immediately "slaved" to a radar lock once that is gained. This is what "slave" mode refers to.

The evidence is supported by the publicly MLU M1 update manual, page 139, bottom of the page where the AIM-9 SMS features are described. Additionally, further evidence can be provided in PMs with community managers, if desired.
We can also see this video of the AIM-9 seeker head immediately slaving to the RADAR lock. I know this video is not the exact F-16 version we have in DCS, but this particular behavior of the AIM-9 should be the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBWBnBrMUfkI have attached trackfiles for both AIM-9X and AIM-9M.

Thanks and have an easy week!

AIM9MSlaveBug.trk AIM9XSlaveBug.trk

• Like 5

The entirety of the uncage / re-cage function for Sidewinders is not implemented as far as I can see. It's only scripted to indicate a good-tone and show the diamond on the radar target as soon as you press un-cage as far as I can tell. When you press Cage you can't even re-cage the seeker back into position and break the IR-lock.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1