Rhino instead of S3

Devastator

They probably won't replace an existing aircraft with a completely different one as it will break existing missions.

Besides, the S-3 is more suitable for the timeframe of HB's Forrestal (1990s), which predates the Superhornet's introduction by almost a decade. That said, the S-3 was also still in service for the timeframe of the Hornet and Nimitz-Roosevelt-class carriers as part of the Supercarrier module, so the S-3B is appropriate for both, but the Superhornet is only suitable for the latter.

So personally, I'd rather the S-3B stay as it can cover both, whereas the Superhornet only covers the latter.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 9

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I did seven cruises in the USN from 77 to 97, on three different carriers. Any of the aircraft that could carry a Buddystore drop tank could function as a refueling platform. So the A-7, S-3, and the A-6 would perform that function with no problem. So modeling a Buddystore refueling tank is something DCS should be looking at for Carrier ops. KA-6's were what we saw the most during that time.

Hoss

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sempre Fortis

4 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

I did seven cruises in the USN from 77 to 97, on three different carriers. Any of the aircraft that could carry a Buddystore drop tank could function as a refueling platform. So the A-7, S-3, and the A-6 would perform that function with no problem. So modeling a Buddystore refueling tank is something DCS should be looking at for Carrier ops. KA-6's were what we saw the most during that time.

Hoss

HB is supposed to be working on an AI A-6, so hopefully we will see a KA-6 soon as well.  Anything to replace the low poly S3 and Seahawk models we’re stuck with.  

HB is supposed to be working on an AI A-6, so hopefully we will see a KA-6 soon as well.  Anything to replace the low poly S3 and Seahawk models we’re stuck with.  
ED has working on new S-3 AI and has plans to remade the SH-60 and other low polígonos IAs.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

ED has working on new S-3 AI and has plans to remade the SH-60 and other low polígonos IAs.

Which, based on what we've seen so far it appears to be that this will come about early-mid next year at the current rate. Modeling the new AI planes to the same level as the module planes isn't an easy task as there are a lot of details that have to be added that just didn't exist in the previous renditions. Add to that the propensity for ED to add different versions at the same time (at least for the Ground Units), and I think what we'll see is the new models getting more variations to give those of us making missions a bit more to work with.

13 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

So modeling a Buddystore refueling tank is something DCS should be looking at for Carrier ops.

Yeah, that's one thing I wondered about, I'm not sure buddystores are actually implemented, but they're going to have to be for the A-6 and Mirage F1.

The reason I think that is because we have a dedicated S-3B tanker, but all it is is a copied and pasted S-3B with a fuel tank and buddystore, it should just be a loadout option of the regular S-3B.

13 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

KA-6's were what we saw the most during that time.

HB are working on one, so that's good.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

4 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Yeah, that's one thing I wondered about, I'm not sure buddystores are actually implemented..

No AFAIK buddy-refuelling packs as such don't currently exist in the sim - rather a case of separate aircraft entries assigned refuelling attribute/connection points.

..but they're going to have to be for the A-6 and Mirage F1.

Ideally, but not necessarily - i.e. only if this is intended as a player option. I mean you could have said the same about the Su-33... and for this there isn't even a separate AI tanker entry :)

The reason I think that is because we have a dedicated S-3B tanker, but all it is is a copied and pasted S-3B with a fuel tank and buddystore..

Exactly.

On 10/24/2021 at 3:34 PM, Seaeagle said:

No AFAIK buddy-refuelling packs as such don't currently exist in the sim - rather a case of separate aircraft entries assigned refuelling attribute/connection points.

Thought so.

On 10/24/2021 at 3:34 PM, Seaeagle said:

Ideally, but not necessarily - i.e. only if this is intended as a player option. I mean you could have said the same about the Su-33... and for this there isn't even a separate AI tanker entry 🙂

Blashemy! I won't allow the AI to do all the tanker trolling! I simply won't have this!

Edited by Northstar98
didn't feel like there was enough emotion
  • Like 1

System:

1 minute ago, Northstar98 said:

Thought so.

Blashemy! I won't allow the AI to do all the tanker trolling, I simply won't have this.

Lol well I fully agree that it would be cool to expand the experience with a player tanker-task when applicaple. I am just saying that so far no one seems to have found it interesting enough to implement and as long as it remains an AI-only feature, it doesn't matter much whether the refuelling packs are assigned via the payload editor or by selecting a mirror entry with them.

• Like 1

If they implemented he Buddy Store tank, you could also put it on a F/A-18, they did it too when needed.  If built when the A-7, A-6 come out you could have it as a load out and go along and be the refueling guy on a mission.  Call him, have him come to you if you are beyond Bingo............................. 

Hoss

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2021 at 7:15 AM, Devastator said:

No idea if correct place to open this as wish, but it would be great if the low polly model of S-3 is replaced with a nice Rhino model (not playable as  the S-3 😞) and can be used for refueling from it

No,  I have no objections to adding an AI Super Hornet just replacing the S-3 with the Super Hornet. I would rather have good models of both.

• Like 2