OVGME - the right tool?

16 minutes ago, SparrowHawk003 said:

Hello all,

Is OVGME still the go to modding tool for DCS, or has something else come up in the mean time?

Thanks,

Mick

Yep, it is the tool to go, if you want to manage your MODs safely and with no issues. I use it for DCS and IL2 Great Battles. That's
the good thing with this tool - you can manage different sims/games with one tool. I highly recommend it.

Edited by THERION

Hi Mick,

I can second that too. It's a good tool. You can point it to your root folder, IE the actual installation folder of DCS. You can also point it to your saved game folder that DCS uses. I think there is a little guide somewhere on the web.

Edited by Bossco82

21 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I used to use OvGME, but I switched to it's successor, Open Mod Manager. 😉

I tried Open Mod Manager, but found it too complex for my needs, so I returned back to OvGME, which still works perfectly for my needs.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

technically, any "version control" tool should work, but, they tend not to be user friendly to anyone other than devs (managing/merging multiple branches can be a pain)

having said that, I use a my own custom "slightly modified" variation of OvGME (the code is open source), for multiple repository linking/consolidation purposes but the basic "standard" version is more than adequate for most users and does the job.

just be sure that when downloading any mods from the web sites that you check the properties of files to make sure it is not tagged as "blocked" by windows. locked/blocked files can really mess up things when trying to "revert" your mods.

OpenModMan looks nice but seems to be a beta version? I haven't tried it (yet) though.

• Like 1

I just "Migrated" over to Open Mod Manager from OvGME.  Here are the 3 reasons why I did: 

1. My Old System Board Died - During the re-config of DCS Controllers and MODS on the new System I decided to try some new things.
  2. It looks like the same Developer that created OvGME is responsible for OpenModMan. By sedenion... a.k.a Eric M. 
  3. Development of OvGME stopped in Nov 2017 - OpenModMan is actively being supported and was last updated in July 2021 by sedenion.  

I have been using OvGME for years and was not planning to migrate until I had to upgrade.  I also recommend looking into JoyPro if you fly more than 4 Modules in DCS.  

Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

13 hours ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

I have been using OvGME for years and was not planning to migrate until I had to upgrade. 

I'm a firm believer in not fixing what isnt broken .. I moved from JSGM to OvGME because there were clear advantages in doing so: Easy support for multiple games, central Mod repository, and no 32-bit limitations. However, I don't see any such advantages on moving on from OvGME to OpenMod.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I just "Migrated" over to Open Mod Manager from OvGME.  Here are the 3 reasons why I did: 
  1. My Old System Board Died - During the re-config of DCS Controllers and MODS on the new System I decided to try some new things.
  2. It looks like the same Developer that created OvGME is responsible for OpenModMan. By sedenion... a.k.a Eric M. 
  3. Development of OvGME stopped in Nov 2017 - OpenModMan is actively being supported and was last updated in July 2021 by sedenion.  
I have been using OvGME for years and was not planning to migrate until I had to upgrade.  I also recommend looking into JoyPro if you fly more than 4 Modules in DCS.  
Cheers. 
About the same for me. Wanted to try something new, and there are a couple of new features in Open Mod Manager, like you can have different packages, that will install/de-install depending on what you define in the package.
It's also actively developed like you write.
It might a be a little more cumbersome to setup the first time. But once done, it seems better for me IMHO.
I have just "DCS", and then added Stable, OB and Saved Games as different targets, with the same repository. Much like OvGME, just a little different.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1