Mossie VR Scorecard…?

rkk01

Been wavering on taking the VR plunge for 12 months or more…

but with the but with the Reverb G2 generally more available and flight hours clocking up in the Mossie, I am quite tempted.  The Mossie cockpit is large by DCS standards and does need a fair bit of looking around to find stuff / see stuff clearly

Can anyone offer their thoughts on flying the Mosquito in VR?

Edited by rkk01

First of all what are your PC Spec's? 

I have a fairly old PC (i5 6600K, 32 GB RAM and a 2060 SUPER) and run the G2 with a few settings dialed back I can get close to the constant 45fps needed for reasonable performance and visual quality. 

Looking forward to the incoming engine improvements. 

Regarding the Mossie in VR, it is absolutely stunning. Personally I think it is the best cockpit in VR of all the WWII aircraft. 

I don't have issues reading the panel in front of me, it is a bit harder to read the fuel gages on the right hand side as they are quite small however even these are fine as you as you can zoom in on these if you need to get a detailed reading. 

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Just to add to this there are only two areas that I have difficulty accessing using a mouse in VR is:

1) The Gunsight Dimmer

2) The wing tank switches and cut off switches can be a bit of a pain as they are behind you and low down. 

That said I think that VR actually makes it easier to access the dimmer than in Track IR. 

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I don't have a fancy headset or a 3090, Oculus S and a 1080Ti here, but the VR cockpit in the Mossie is just stunning. It feels cramped and I find looking at stuff in it like the fuel gauges or using the gunsight, you just do what you would do in the real aircraft....lean over a bit, duck down or turn around in your seat. It feels great and looks amazing, the best VR cockpit of all the warbirds by far and the most immersive in my opinion.

If I had to rate it, I'd give it a clear 10/10.

Edited by bart
  • Like 1

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

17 hours ago, Krupi said:

First of all what are your PC Spec's? 

I have a fairly old PC (i5 6600K, 32 GB RAM and a 2060 SUPER) and run the G2 with a few settings dialed back I can get close to the constant 45fps needed for reasonable performance and visual quality. 

Looking forward to the incoming engine improvements. 

Regarding the Mossie in VR, it is absolutely stunning. Personally I think it is the best cockpit in VR of all the WWII aircraft. 

I don't have issues reading the panel in front of me, it is a bit harder to read the fuel gages on the right hand side as they are quite small however even these are fine as you as you can zoom in on these if you need to get a detailed reading. 

Thanks for the very useful response…👍

… not least because I’m running a very similar setup - OC i5 6600K, 32 GB RAM, but with an RTX 3070 GPU

Sounds like the G2 would be good to have…😉

I love Mosquito in VR. As noted, the only real issue is getting to the fuel switches/engine cut-offs but that can be done more easily from the navigator's seat - which I bet they did in RL too. I find the A10C2 is more annoying with the cockpit illumination rotaries and the radios.

I run the G2, which is great. I no longer miss my 4k monitor as the realism is so much greater in VR. I will say though, the high resolution makes the G2 a performance hungry beast and don't expect to max out the settings. I run 106% oversampling on a 9700k/32Gb/3080. I tuned for late teens/20 ms in the frame times using FPSVR (essential tool)  and all is well with the occasional glitch. The glitches are more common in multiplayer of course.

I was looking at starting to OC my CPU but when I looked at temps, it was clear that a 3080 running at 98-100% for extended periods meant I had to totally re-evaluate the cooling solution in my PC with new fans and AIO to go with it.

Overall, very acceptable performance for me - but everyone is different and your FPS threshold may well vary.

EDIT: I loaded FPSVR for the first time in the Mosquito and ran the Free Flight in Caucasus Instant Action mission.

I misrememberd - actually I run 109% SS in SteamVR.

FPS is basically 45 all the time at low level (where it counts for the Mossie) with 50 FPS showing if you climb to about 1500ft.

At low level:

GPU Frametime is 20.x ms all the time, CPU Frametime is the same (it drops a lot higher up) Both Amber, basically.

Reprojection is ~42% which is a bit rubbish!  (and red)

GPU is solid at 98%/80 degrees, CPU varies between about 30-40% @ 45 degrees.

I don't know if this helps, but it should help set some expectations - if only I could get some decent screenshots from VR 😕

Edited by Morat
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, rkk01 said:

but with the but with the Reverb G2 generally more available and flight hours clocking up in the Mossie, I am quite tempted.  The Mossie cockpit is large by DCS standards and does need a fair bit of looking around to find stuff / see stuff clearly

No, the size of cockpit of Mossie in VR is very ok. Here ED did great job. You can try do use IPD (in settings of DCS) to change the size too.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

On 10/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, rkk01 said:

Nt much into WB currently and if, then I usually a 109 guy, but the Mossie in VR  ......  A...fuxing mazing. I really love it and I found me lately just take her out for a spin.  So far I would say best in the VR department and that comes from a absolut HB Tomcat lover.

g2 here too, amd 5900x, 64gig ddr4 and 2070 super and run most things maxed out no problem, i just map the fuel tanks and valves to stick easier than tryin to turn head that far lol.

only thing im not keen on in the mossie cockpit is the VSI its nearly bloody impossible to see  but other than that shes fun to fly and pack a punch with them guns in the nose

Edited by Kiwi_Viper

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, Kiwi_Viper said:

g2 here too, amd 5900x, 64gig ddr4 and 2070 super and run most things maxed out no problem, i just map the fuel tanks and valves to stick easier than tryin to turn head that far lol.

only thing im not keen on in the mossie cockpit is the VSI its nearly bloody impossible to see  but other than that shes fun to fly and pack a punch with them guns in the nose

Kiwi - are you running at 45FPS like me or have you found some magic to get the full 90?

and yes, the VSI is very hidden. I just use the speed and altimeter most of the time. It's a bit approximate, but it works for me.

Edited by Morat

On 10/24/2021 at 8:56 PM, Krupi said:

Just to add to this there are only two areas that I have difficulty accessing using a mouse in VR is:

1) The Gunsight Dimmer

2) The wing tank switches and cut off switches can be a bit of a pain as they are behind you and low down. 

That said I think that VR actually makes it easier to access the dimmer than in Track IR. 

1) I couldn't even find the gunsight brightness dial. I've got it set to the HOTAS, but if you could tell me how to see it... I am curious.

2) I think DeHavelind designed these controls to be operated blind, which is why the are so big. The pilot can just reach behind his seat and feel how they are set and operate them by feel, easy-peasy.

In VR... I have the fuel switches all set to my HOTAS, but I have to use a modifier or two to cover all the settings.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

22 hours ago, Morat said:

Kiwi - are you running at 45FPS like me or have you found some magic to get the full 90?

and yes, the VSI is very hidden. I just use the speed and altimeter most of the time. It's a bit approximate, but it works for me.

yeh i usually average about 40-50 fps in vr with the settings pritty much maxed out, but for combat i dial it back a little but not a heap.

i normally just switch back to track ir for dogfighing etc its easier on the neck lol

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 7800x3D with AIO, RTX4080 Eagle OC, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz HP Reverb G2 & Pico4 Windows 11 Pro

I am very, very satisfied with my VR experience in the Mosquito. It is a work of art.  I don’t have a Reverb G2 so can’t advise on that but my Valve Index and RTX 3070 do it for me. 

• Thanks 1

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.