TEDAC grip photos and references for those trying to build it..

im in research mode to make the tedac grips... or at least something that resembles it.

making this thread for a place for references for just the grips, since there are a few threads that bring up the subject, i dont need to know anything else but the grips!

collected some images from what i found or what others have shared..

grip_4.jpg

In_Dev_03.09.2021.2.jpg

mfc-tedac-masthead-01.jpg

mfc-tedac-photo-04.jpg.pc-adaptive.full.medium.jpeg

AH-64-E-0109.jpg

grip_1.jpg

grip_2.jpg

grip_3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Yesterday I attempted a model in tinkercad. It was not happening. Either I spend the time to get back into autodesk.. of just make something even more simpler but have the button set of the tedac grip. (Maybe something that resemble those F1 racing wheels that has all the buttons if I take the easy route)

Thanks @KeyCat! How is your project going? 

My work on the mfd portion should be done by the end of the week. At least I can say that there is an end of tunnel to that..

@Viper1970 gave me some good suggestions on cad software, what do you use?

Trying to get a model before I even think of buttons..

Edited by hannibal

I really only use TinkerCAD and Meshmixer and do a seesaw between them. The only thing I do in Fushion is to repair a mesh (Meshlab does work sometimes better for repairing - but is even more complicated as Fushion) or let Fushion do a remesh of it to have a finer mesh for smoothing it in Meshmixer. For me it really works this way, also it's not the cleverest solution.

TC is easy and simple to understand and I'm able to do all I want without learning a complex GUI and functions for half a year, before I could start to make some very basic shapes. The fine work at the shapes I do all in Meshmixer, which is also not as complex as other programs. Not as easy as TinkerCAD but learnable in a relatively short time.

For sure many things are more cumbersome this way and did need much more steps, but for me personal it's more urgent to get my models for my pit done as to learn CAD itself. Maybe I will do this if my pit is ready cause I really enjoy to make 3D models, even though I'm very happy to come to an end now with the model making. A little bit of manual work at the pit will be a welcome change now 😅.

Edited by Viper1970

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

1 hour ago, hannibal said:

Thanks @KeyCat! How is your project going? 

My work on the mfd portion should be done by the end of the week. At least I can say that there is an end of tunnel to that..

I still have two more PCB layouts to do before sending it of for manufacturing, hopefully will find some time coming weekend.

@Viper1970 gave me some good suggestions on cad software, what do you use?

Being pretty much a noob on 3D modelling I still have tons to learn but plan is to start with TinkerCAD and the other tools suggested by Viper1970. Will see how that goes later on 😁

Edited by KeyCat

I also really do not understand why there is no company which makes a 3D program, which is a little bit like a hybrid between TinkerCad and Meshmixer. Easy to learn but regardless powerfull enough to make such things as I have done now.

This would fit most people and you didn't have to learn an endless GUI with all the functions, where most of them are needless for many of us. And of course, please with the possibility to work fully offline! I hate to be dependent of the internet! What bothers me most on TinkerCAD is that it's running so bad and slow sometimes and you have to reload your projects again and again, cause they aren't fully loaded the first time, especially if things get more complex.

This is really one of the most time-consuming factors I had during my work. I could have been finished long ago, if this big drawback wouldn't exist. On the otherside its so simple and intuitive, that I never have to spent any time on fiddeling arround how I could do something, but instead just make it.

Edited by Viper1970

CockpitPC1: R9 5950X|64GB DDR4|512GB M2SSD|2TB M2SSD|RTX3090|ReverbG2|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|32GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|2x GTX660 SLI|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC1: R9 3900XT|32GB DDR4|2x2TB HDD|RTX2070|Win11Pro - PC2: PhnIIX6 1100T|16GB DDR2|2x2TB HDD|GTX660|Win7Pro64
ComUnitPC3: AthlnIIX2 250|2GB DDR2|2TB HDD|5950Ultra|2xVoodooII SLI|WinXPPro32&WinME - PC4: K6-2+|768MB SDR|640GB HDD|Geforce256DDR|VoodooI|Win98SE

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

im looking at a side view photo of the tedac grip... kind resembles an oculus touch controller..

im downloading an oculus touch model from thingiverse.. looking to see if i can manipulate that..

trying to find a easy solution to this!

wow @Viper1970im reading ur posts on simhq...amazing work..

Edited by hannibal

Hannibal,

a simple trick with which I started for the TEDAC (I'm mostly use some unconventional methods to come to a solution 😂) is, I took a front view and a side view of it (was here at the forum somewhere, I think even in this thread) and put the pictures in a graphic program. In this paint program I only marked the shape itself black and the rest white, so that in the end only a two dimensional "shadow" of the TEDAC grips exist.

I also removed the shapes of the buttons, switches etc. with the paint program, to have the basic grip only. At this two colored image I did a bit of unsharping to get smoother edges. After this I took Cura (the slicer) and imported that black and white image as a 3D. There are instructions how to use this all over the web.

This ended up in having to shapes, one for the side and one for the front view. I took those two shapes, imported them in Meshlab to be able to reduce the Mesh Cura had designed, to an useful size of polygons (Cura makes much to many polys in this case). Then after the reduce of polys, I put it to Meshmixer for smoothing it a little bit, do some error correction and remove the "floor" produced by Cura and also reduced the polys further (300.000 is the limit for TinkerCAD to import).

Those corrected shapes I imported in TinkerCad and took the sideview and made a negative out of it. This negative I placed within a big Cube and melted them so I did get a negative form. This negative form I placed over the positive frontview and violla, I had the rough shape of the grip with the relatively right proportion (not dimensions). Make a 2D to a 3D the "Viper-Way" 🤣😂. Not elegant but it has done what I needed to begin with the TEDAC grips.

There is still a lot of smoothing, rounding and so on to do for sure, but step by step you get slowly closer to the original.

Edited by Viper1970

DCS - Modules - 1.jpg

DCS - Modules - 2.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello Guys, do you maby have a picture of the side of the Tedac grips? i saw the pictures at the top of this toppic but was wondering if there were any better oness from the side? 

thaankyou in advance! 

Here is a post I found on Reddit in the DIY HOTAS sub. It has link with PDF showing 2D drawings of the TEDAC grips. You could use those drawings and model around the views to create your TEDAC grips. https://www.reddit.com/r/HotasDIY/comments/abydz7/mason_controls_blue_prints_stick_grips_throttles/. It has some other grips and throttles there as well that may come in handy to anyone starting a project. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hey. I'm building one now, and I'm curious to know what 4 position hat switches did you use. I'm using some that I found in aliexpress, but they are a  it flimsy and have quite some play in the center for my liking. I also found some military grade ones for about $37 a piece, and I need 5 of them, so I'm not buying those.