SU-25UTG trainer landing on Admiral Kuznetsov

-0303-

Original source political and omitted. Nice photo. I don't think ED should invest anything in non clickable cockpit planes. But if someone made a Su25-with-hook mod I'd try it.

Hm.. Wikipedia states SU-25UTG was only ever a trainer for carrier landings. No more than 10 was ever active. Still active? Wiki is unclear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-25#Variants

The then Russian President and Supreme Commander Dmitry Medvedev visits the aircraft carrying heavy cruiser 'Admiral N. Kuznetsov' in the Barents Sea, Russia on October 11, 2008.

kcotvrbv8hv71.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• -0303- changed the title to SU-25UTG trainer landing in Admiral Kuznetsov's Flight Operations Center
13 hours ago, -0303- said:

Original source political and omitted. Nice photo. I don't think ED should invest anything in non clickable cockpit planes. But if someone made a Su25-with-hook mod I'd try it.

The Su-25UTG was based on the Su-25UB which we don't have in the sim, so a mod just adding a hook would be pretty far detached from reality. Moreover, like other "navalised" aircraft, the -UTG has strengthned landing gear to cope with the strain of carrier landings, so...

Hm.. Wikipedia states SU-25UTG was only ever a trainer for carrier landings. No more than 10 was ever active.

Correct - unlike the Su-25UB, the -UTG has no combat capabilities.

Still active?

Yes.

Is Su-25 an odd choice for a carrier trainer? Imagine A-10 for carrier training :unsure:. Though A-10 has excellent visibility and a sturdy gear ... Doubt Su-25 was originally designed with Carrier training in mind. But they chose not to design a whole new plane.

qiguszv3qnv71.jpg

From a Russian(?) page about Su-25.

https://soldat.pro/en/2018/07/06/su-25-grach/

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

• -0303- changed the title to SU-25UTG trainer landing on Admiral Kuznetsov

Is Su-25 an odd choice for a carrier trainer? Imagine A-10 for carrier training :unsure:.

Perhaps, but the USN use the T-45 for the same purpose - based on the BAE Hawk, which was designed as an actual trainer, but also used as light attack aircraft and in some ways resembling the Su-25(more than the A-10 anyway :) ).

.. Doubt Su-25 was originally designed with Carrier training in mind.

No it wasn't, but there are lots of examples of military aircraft that ended up in roles very different from those originally intended.

But they chose not to design a whole new plane.

No but as mentioned above, the USN didn't do that either and considering the limited requirement for Soviet/Russian carrier training, it would be even less economical to do so.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A two seat Su-25 and/or a naval version would be a dream come true.  I have been asking for a UTG version for a while. But I would settle for any full module Su-25. 

REDFOR really needs a full module Mig-29, Su-27, and Su-25. The naval version Su-25 would really make for some great scenarios.

Edited by Zeagle
  • Like 1