Why is my engine always dying after few minutes of flight.

DmitriKozlowsky

read forum post

• Thanks 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

2 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

So what counts as 'desert'.

This is ED's first iteration of differing environments
• sand maps (Nevada, PG and Syria) have dust/sand (progressive engine damage below 35m without an active sandfilter).
• temperate maps (Caucasus, Mariana, Normandy and Channel) have moisture (icing, etc.)
• weather i.e. clouds, fog, winds, etc. are not taken into account
• third party dev's can detect what type of map they're on and code for damage, power loss, icing, etc. i.e. dependant on altitude, over water, etc.

It's WIP.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I've been flying in those desert maps for years with Gazelle, UH-1H, KA-50. Never ever have I ever encountered engine damage, even with brown outs. When was this added? Is this DCS wide, or just Gazzele?

Seems new, there are reports of pitot icing no longer working in the PG, while Caucasus is the same as it's always been with icing at high altitude/low temps regardless of precipitation.

The addition of engine damage/loss of power is a new Gazelle feature with the aim of adding a little more realism and a give players a genuine reason to fit the sandfilter.

Not sure what this'll mean for other modules* or the future (i.e IIRC the AH-64D has sandfilters as standard), as none of these changes are documented.

* I assume it'll only effect modules where fitting/using sandfilters is an option

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Does flying includes sitting on ground with rotors turning, but sand filter turned OFF. Is it 35 feet, which seems way too low, or 35 meters , which seems about right?

35m agl, yes on the ground it counts too! The fix will be in the next possible patch.

• Thanks 1

Chinook lover - Rober -

Hi so I just took the gazelle out again today and had two instances where the engine lost power. First was when I landed on the ground and went to take off an it went out. Second was after flying an hour long sortie flying a few feet over the water. I've done both of these many times before this recent patch and it's been fine but now it seems anything to do with getting too low will kill the engine. Both times I had the sand filter installed and was on the Syria map

1 hour ago, Lebens53 said:

Both times I had the sand filter installed and was on the Syria map

It also needs to be switched ON.

SA342 Sand Fliter Switch and Lamp.JPG

Edited by Ramsay
Add picture

2 hours ago, Ramsay said:

It also needs to be switched ON.

SA342 Sand Fliter Switch and Lamp.JPG

I use auto start so in theory this should already be on otherwise thats another thing they should probably look into adding into the start if it's such a critical malfunction. I'll try this out again this weekend and see if it happens again or if these switches are even flipped after auto start.

2 hours ago, Lebens53 said:

I use auto start so in theory this should already be on

Auto start can't know which map you're on or whether the sand filter is fitted, it's on you to do a pre-fight check after start-up (remember this "test" version has accelerated damage).

21 hours ago, Lebens53 said:

I use auto start so in theory this should already be on otherwise thats another thing they should probably look into adding into the start if it's such a critical malfunction. I'll try this out again this weekend and see if it happens again or if these switches are even flipped after auto start.

Hi! It isn't planned to be that criticial, in the next patch updatae it will start reducing engine power after 45 minutes under 35m agl. So it wouldn't be that critical. 

Chinook lover - Rober -

• 2 weeks later...

So this explains it. Was flying from Havadarya, over water the whole time, babying the engine, temps in the green, torque within tolerances, with Engine Break turned off in Special settings, and with air temp set to 25C. I didn't take the sand filter to save weight because I didn't think I needed it, you know, with Engine Break turned off and not flying over desert and everything. Thought I was going insane. 

Edited by Namco51