Newcomer Questions

G2qu4r3d

Hello everyone. I am totally new to DCS, so I would appreciate some help.

1) At the moment, I would like to focus mainly on WWII era. So I would like to ask what DLCs should I buy for start. I guess I would need a map (Normandy 1994), the World War II Assets pack, and probably a plane (such as the P-51D Mustang). Do I need all of these in order to start or it is too much? And if I buy these will some Campaigns be included or I need to buy campaign backs for P-51D as well? And how about the online part? Will I be able to play online using the P-51D?

2) Steam or Standalone version? To be honest, I preffer to have all of my games in Steam. Are there any disadvantages of having the game (and buying DLCs) in Steam? For example I see that there are Halloween discounts at the moment but I can't see them in Steam although in the announcement it says that will also be included in Steam.

Thank you very much for your time,

George.

27 minutes ago, G2qu4r3d said:

Hello everyone. I am totally new to DCS ... So I would like to ask what DLCs should I buy for start. I guess I would need a map (Normandy 1994), the World War II Assets pack, and probably a plane (such as the P-51D Mustang). Do I need all of these in order to start or it is too much? .

If you are totally new to DCS, I would suggest to keep your $$$ investment small until you have had opportunity to fly it and confirm for sure that it is what you expect. With that in mind, you could limit yourself to fly the free TF-51 mustang trainer on one of the free maps (caucasus or Marianas). This way you can learn to fly a warbird, check if your hotas is adequate and check if you need to add headtracking to your rig.

the TF-51 includes training missions and there are aerobatics missions instead of combat missions, as the TF51 is unarmed.

once you confirm that this is for you, purchase the P-51 so that you can graduate to weapons training, it does include some missions and a Campaign.

The ww2 assets pack is needed if you want to fly dlc campaigns, and it is cheaper if purchased as a pack with the normandy map (which is also needed for most ww2 campaigns).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Well first of all welcome 🙂

i would always go with the standalone.

For your Plane and asset question:

as Rudel already wrote, try the free stuff first. Get a feeling for it and consider if it is what you think it would be.

then before you buy a Module, use the two week free trail 🙂 there you can test every Module complete and free.

If you still keep the Virus of DCS in your head, buy the Asset pack and the Normandy map in a combi .)

I have all the WB and love flying them. for me the Mustang is a very cool bird to fly. and for the future the Mossie will be a must have 🙂

Take your time an try everythin you are interesstet in, annnd ask many question here in the forum. We have a very nice community here 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for your responses guys!

I have the Logitech Extreme 3d Pro and I 've spent a few hours on the TF-51D and I am really excited about the game. Since when buying only the P-51D I will have some missions to play, I may take advantage of the Halloween discounts and get it at half price. I will probably stick to Steam though since I have an important amount of money in my wallet from some refunds I got recently. I like the refund policy of steam and from what I saw, there is no actual disadvantage of having the game there, while I can move to the standalone client at any time, being able to transfer my purchases as well (I think it does not work the other way around)..

6 minutes ago, G2qu4r3d said:

while I can move to the standalone client at any time, being able to transfer my purchases as well (I think it does not work the other way around)..

Correct, your purchases at Steam work on Stand-alone, but not the other way.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

With the steam version you don´t benefit from the 14 day free trial offer for the modules and might miss out on some sales as steam has some strict rules about that. And because steam only updates their shop once a day, you might get new modules a few hours later than in the standalone version. But other than that, you don´t have any disadvantages with the steam version. You can join multiplayer sessions with standalone players and vice versa.

Generally, people prefer the standalone because steam doesn´t take a share of the price and more goes to ED directly.

Edited by Eugel
  • Like 1

In favor of Stean, it seems that it downloads updates faster and sometimes their money exchange rate makes some purchases a lot cheaper than at ED's Store.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:51 AM, Rudel_chw said:

If you are totally new to DCS, I would suggest to keep your $$$ investment small until you have had opportunity to fly it and confirm for sure that it is what you expect. With that in mind, you could limit yourself to fly the free TF-51 mustang trainer on one of the free maps (caucasus or Marianas). This way you can learn to fly a warbird, check if your hotas is adequate and check if you need to add headtracking to your rig.

the TF-51 includes training missions and there are aerobatics missions instead of combat missions, as the TF51 is unarmed.

once you confirm that this is for you, purchase the P-51 so that you can graduate to weapons training, it does include some missions and a Campaign.

Agreed.

I find the P-51D a friendly-to-fly fighter and the speed and weapons load are good. It was my first WWII fighter in DCS and I still like it the most of all the prop planes. I find the P-47 very finicky and not nearly as enjoyable to fly as the P-51. 

And the P-51 on sale, and will be soon on Steam as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!