PIMAX Monster 12k, Eyes tracking, INSIDE OUT and Much more !!

ICARIVS

Man thats some nauseating self promotion and arrogance right off the bat tho.. 

• Like 4

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The specs seem really ambitious and almost too good to be true.  We'll see if they can pull that off by Q4 2022.  Why announce a product a year ahead of the released schedule though.

• Thanks 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Well, its bold for sure I guess, Price wise its more than an Aero, and I'm really curious about performance. I mean thats a ton of pixels to push, and I'm no pimax expert but I Think even their current sets have problems in terms of performance.

And I'm curious what VR will look like late next year, I'd like to think a Reverb G3 will be out by then. And maybe Nvidias next monsters.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Thanks 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Pimax still using Pimax math. Two 6k screens - 12k lol.

Yeah it is baffling announcing a product a year out. I personally have never cared much for how they market their product. Which is why I have never owned one. And with their typical delays I expect it will be 2023 before this actually materializes.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

16 minutes ago, FoxTwo said:

Well barrier to entry is $1200 for someone with an 8kx already.

That's a lot more tolerable than $2300 for the varjo.

Aero is 1990.00

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, FoxTwo said:

Well barrier to entry is $1200 for someone with an 8kx already.

That's a lot more tolerable than $2300 for the varjo.

Yeah, you might keep your old customers, but its probably not gonna get you new ones. IDK, from what I've heard pimax is great at hype, less great on actually delivering. YMMV.

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

This sounds a lot like the Valve Index 2. This is good I like the direction both companies are headed its in agreement with what im after. If this headset really delivered what its hyped up to be I would pay 2k for one. Look at all the people willing to pay 2300 for a 3090 they cant get. They could sell these if they actually deliver.

I'm betting that valve actually delivers the better product and that it will be released first which is likley why pimax is announcing so early they want to sound like they were first considering how similar the two HMDs are likley to be. 

Its looking like the next 6 to 12 months has a lot to offer in the way of next gen headsets.

Did anyone notice the 3rd party modules slide ? (@44:45) ..

image.png

.. Napalm and burning flesh anyone ?

I love the smell of Pimax in the morning 😂

Edited by ShaunX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

7 hours ago, cordite said:

That scent emitter module has been hyped since the kickstarter.

Lol. Smell O vision. Finally. 

9 minutes ago, FoxTwo said:

Euro.

Which is around $2300 USD at the current exchange.

Really? I thought Aero was euro1990/$1990usd.

edit: just checked. $1990 usd in north america.

euro 1990 in Europe.

Edited by cordite

It seems Pimax is trying to add all of the thinkable features out there in VR and cram them all into this new headset.  Wireless, face/body/eye trackers, crazy high res, hybrid aspheric/fresnel lenses, auto-IPD, active cooling, stand-alone mode without PC.  I mean it sounds really great on paper, but let's wait and see the actual hardware demo.  I just hope it doesn't turn out like their sword controller which was supposed to be much superior to the Index controller.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Yeah thats the thing, lots of hype but everything I have heard is that most of the pimax stuff is subpar for DCS. I don't own any of it, but everything I've heard from guys that have used both the G2 and Pimax8kx is that they prefer the G2 for DCS even if the FOV sucks, the rest of it is better.

My this sounds fishy detector has always gone off when I hear ultrawide FOV, which to me translates to lower PPD and probably lens distortion and issues. If it were easy to get good visual quality in huge FOV at the same time, I'm pretty sure every headset manufacturer would be doing it.

I have experienced Pimax twice. The 5k and the 8kx (native 4k).

- 5k was too raw when they released it, the color palette was horrible with non-existent black colors and brightness/contrast locked without any possibility of adjustments. I purchased it from their website, wasn't a backer. I sold it the next day. The backers stuck around with this hmd for a year until it finally received the proper color/brightness calibration, but by that time I had the VivePro with Gear VR lens mod and Pimax couldn't top the OLED's.

- 8KX (with Native 4K screens). The screens were awesome, very nice color calibration. However the IPD was all screwed up. My IPD is 65mm and the HMD in no way could deliver it despite advertising the support of 60mm-70mm. In reality, in HMD that I received, it was more like 70mm-80mm. It was impossible to align the lenses, i.e. if I aligned the left lens center with my left eye the right lens was 4-5mm further out and vice versa. So I sold it too..  edit:  also tracking was very bad. The unit would boot up and find my two base stations, the tracking would work fine. Then mid-way in the game it'd lose tracking and the only way to get it back is to reboot the HMD + restart the software, i.e. it'd never recover. I'm sure they've improved it since then, but if it worked like that out of the box why release such raw product?

In other words their QA is utter shit. So don't expect much.

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

Yeah thats the thing, lots of hype but everything I have heard is that most of the pimax stuff is subpar for DCS. I don't own any of it, but everything I've heard from guys that have used both the G2 and Pimax8kx is that they prefer the G2 for DCS even if the FOV sucks, the rest of it is better.

My this sounds fishy detector has always gone off when I hear ultrawide FOV, which to me translates to lower PPD and probably lens distortion and issues. If it were easy to get good visual quality in huge FOV at the same time, I'm pretty sure every headset manufacturer would be doing it.

Well, to let u know, I have owned a Pimax 5k+ since 2019 and it works great for DCS! 

Another thing too with Pimax..., I had a problem with my 5k+ after about 4 months.  One of the panels began to sparkle, and I originally reported with a video showing the issue.  This was just as Covid was kicking off in China, and I was not sure if I would get any customer support and/or action on the defective unit since they were going into lockdown.  Well, Pimax came through big time with very responsive customer service, and I had a new 5k+ (upgraded batch version too!) only a few weeks after originally reporting the problem and return shipment of the bad unit.  Everyone I interacted with both in USA and China were very personable and great to work with.

Today, my 5k+ runs great and at 120hz to play with, it leaves plenty of headroom for any extra that is needed.  I also run the FidelityFX SuperResolution Upscaler in DCS which really tunes in the Pimax for great visual clarity and performance at Normal FOV.

All in all, unless you have experienced a Pimax personally, its tough to criticize the product or the company.  

• Like 2

The Rig: i5 7700k OC 4.6ghz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cringe. Embellishment. Bait and switch. Hyperbole.

• Thanks 1

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

1 hour ago, WindWpn said:

Well, to let u know, I have owned a Pimax 5k+ since 2019 and it works great for DCS! 

Another thing too with Pimax..., I had a problem with my 5k+ after about 4 months.  One of the panels began to sparkle, and I originally reported with a video showing the issue.  This was just as Covid was kicking off in China, and I was not sure if I would get any customer support and/or action on the defective unit since they were going into lockdown.  Well, Pimax came through big time with very responsive customer service, and I had a new 5k+ (upgraded batch version too!) only a few weeks after originally reporting the problem and return shipment of the bad unit.  Everyone I interacted with both in USA and China were very personable and great to work with.

Today, my 5k+ runs great and at 120hz to play with, it leaves plenty of headroom for any extra that is needed.  I also run the FidelityFX SuperResolution Upscaler in DCS which really tunes in the Pimax for great visual clarity and performance at Normal FOV.

All in all, unless you have experienced a Pimax personally, its tough to criticize the product or the company.  

I flat out made it clear that just repeated what I've heard over the years, and specifically DCS users, I'm glad there are two sides to the story, but I've followed that company for years, and I was never convinced to buy the product. I've owned multiple headsets from other vendors though and pretty much everything I've read from DCS users conviced me that it was a nogo compared to other headsets on the market from a performance perspective. 

Do you run the 5k+ in full FOV mode, I mean its an older headset at this point as well, so I'd hope performance is good enough these days.

Well unless they have some secret sauce nobody else has figured out, I don’t need to own one to say that aint no way they have higher resolution, better field of view and run smoothly at higher settings than other current offerings.  It just would defy any logic. 
But what do I know. 

Edited by Mr. Big.Biggs
  • Thanks 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.