PIMAX Monster 12k, Eyes tracking, INSIDE OUT and Much more !!

ICARIVS

21 minutes ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

Well unless they have some secret sauce nobody else has figured out, I don’t need to own one to say that aint no way they have higher resolution, better field of view and run smoothly at higher settings than other current offerings.  It just would defy any logic. 
But what do I know. 

It looks like they intend to track the eyes and present higher detailed image on the exact spot you looking at. This way part of the picture you not focusing on can be rendered cheaper

• Like 1

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

1 hour ago, agrasyuk said:

It looks like they intend to track the eyes and present higher detailed image on the exact spot you looking at. This way part of the picture you not focusing on can be rendered cheaper

This has been the myth and fantasy discussed for years. And yet no one has demonstrated this at any meaningful level. IIRC the varjo guys get like 5 fps boost with this tech and that's in their expensive headset not the aero and its supposedly a bit janky. 

For this to be meaningful in VR, it needs to:

A) work seamlessly with rapid eye movements (latency and tracking and processing bottlenecks there)

B) give you a good performance boost, like 30-50-100% more fps for it to be worth it. 

And this far I dont see any FR tech that does either of these. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Pimax comes out and announces a supposed new product that is at least a year or more out, and encourage folks to buy existing product and that will be put towards the new product in a year or longer. Sounds like someone needs some financial assistance to me.

Not to mention their lens math - don't add up and never has. No two 6k screens do not equal a 12k image, just like two 4k screens do not equal an 8k image. 

I own a lot of headsets but Pimax is not nor will ever be one of them. I just don't like how they do business. Not to mention the lies in their advertising. No they are not the first to bring out a "hybrid" headset, guess they never heard of Quest or Quest 2. And no they are not the first with Micro LED lens - guess they missed the Varjo presentation. Varjo headset will be in the wild long before this new one by Pimax.

I mean seriously come out with this big presentation on a product that is a year or more longer out... a lot can happen in a year.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 minutes ago, dburne said:

Pimax comes out and announces a supposed new product that is at least a year or more out, and encourage folks to buy existing product and that will be put towards the new product in a year or longer. Sounds like someone needs some financial assistance to me.

Not to mention their lens math - don't add up and never has. No two 6k screens do not equal a 12k image, just like two 4k screens do not equal an 8k image. 

I own a lot of headsets but Pimax is not nor will ever be one of them. I just don't like how they do business. Not to mention the lies in their advertising. No they are not the first to bring out a "hybrid" headset, guess they never heard of Quest or Quest 2. And no they are not the first with Micro LED lens - guess they missed the Varjo presentation. Varjo headset will be in the wild long before this new one by Pimax.

I mean seriously come out with this big presentation on a product that is a year or more longer out... a lot can happen in a year.

Indeed!  Getting folks locked into their ecosystem, all vaporware at this point. 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 hour ago, javelina1 said:

Indeed!  Getting folks locked into their ecosystem, all vaporware at this point. 

Yeah, IDK, most of IMAX claims are of the too good to be true variety. They reek of used car salesmen to me TBH. 

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Well, IMO there's nothing wrong with the way Pimax is promoting. What they do is giving an outlook on what they are developping. Exactly what all the other developers had been doing in the past. I recall companies like Star VR, HP, even Varjo... you name them. And  Pimax is just a company like any other trying to sell their products. What you see here is just the same sh*** that any other car company or whatever is also doing. So your comparison is quite right @Harlikwin. But name a company acting in another way!
It will be of course a different story when they field the new product and everyone has the opportunity to judge by himself.

Just remember: They started croudfunding and have not been a very big player at the time they came to the surface. And until today they are unbeaten when it comes to the FOV/FPS balance and pricing. Even their support is nothing someone could complain about.

I own all kinds of headsets with the Pimax being the one in everyday use in DCS. Only had issues once, when it refused to work after a Windows update blocking my USB ports. Problem was solved with a Pimax employe within a day.

• Like 1

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

Every other company in the field is willing to settle for selling a scuba mask. Whatever faults Pimax has, they're the only one pushing the envelope on FoV.

I've had the same doubts and concerns about Pimax as a company, which is why I've been waiting and hoping for someone else--anyone else--in the industry to step up, and I'm pissed as hell that no one has. HP, Vive, Varjo, every few weeks it seems they have a new headset or leaked patents or whatever, and every one is yet another fucking scuba mask.

If I scrimp and save I can probably buy an 8KX next spring. Worst case, it does suck after all and I return it for a refund. Best case, I can get the 12K for more than half-off a year later. It doesn't matter if the release date gets pushed a couple quarters, since I couldn't afford it before then anyway, and the credit offer is good for 1 year after the 12K's release.

• Like 4

On 10/29/2021 at 4:19 AM, KWard said:

Every other company in the field is willing to settle for selling a scuba mask. Whatever faults Pimax has, they're the only one pushing the envelope on FoV.

I've had the same doubts and concerns about Pimax as a company, which is why I've been waiting and hoping for someone else--anyone else--in the industry to step up, and I'm pissed as hell that no one has. HP, Vive, Varjo, every few weeks it seems they have a new headset or leaked patents or whatever, and every one is yet another fucking scuba mask.

If I scrimp and save I can probably buy an 8KX next spring. Worst case, it does suck after all and I return it for a refund. Best case, I can get the 12K for more than half-off a year later. It doesn't matter if the release date gets pushed a couple quarters, since I couldn't afford it before then anyway, and the credit offer is good for 1 year after the 12K's release.

Very much agree with this.  I will never go for the scuba mask products and will not be separated from my Pimax 5k+ if I can help it.  Very disappointed that other manufacturers have not made good progress with FOV.  I am still hanging on for better VR products with acceptable FOV.  Can't believe VR headset manufacturers are still not getting a grip on this FOV issue.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png

9 hours ago, Talisman_VR said:

Very much agree with this.  I will never go for the scuba mask products and will not be separated from my Pimax 5k+ if I can help it.  Very disappointed that other manufacturers have not made good progress with FOV.  I am still hanging on for better VR products with acceptable FOV.  Can't believe VR headset manufacturers are still not getting a grip on this FOV issue.

Happy landings,

Talisman

The reason is that the tradeoff for FOV is resolution and clarity in your FOV. At this point the tech really just isn't there to do both, so you have a tradeoff. And one that people are happy to make. The fact Pimax is the ONLY, company either means they have some magical tech, OR, they don't and their users either don't care or don't know any better. I'm not really sure which. 

But I do know if it was "good" and "easy", literally everyone would be doing it, and that says volumes IMO.

17 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

The reason is that the tradeoff for FOV is resolution and clarity in your FOV. At this point the tech really just isn't there to do both, so you have a tradeoff. And one that people are happy to make. The fact Pimax is the ONLY, company either means they have some magical tech, OR, they don't and their users either don't care or don't know any better. I'm not really sure which. 

But I do know if it was "good" and "easy", literally everyone would be doing it, and that says volumes IMO.

I am running my Pimax at resolution 3312 x 2724 with good fps and good competitive fun on MP too.  I think that a good FOV is particularly advantageous and immersive for combat flight sims and I find that my viewing resolution quality combined with Pimax FOV advantages makes for comfortable and enjoyable flight simulation.  I am always looking out for the latest VR headset release and checking out the specs, but so far always disappointed with lack of progress on FOV.  Very pleased that at least Pimax can deliver what I want as a customer.  However, I would like to see some competition for Pimax in this regard.

Happy landings,

Talisman 

• Like 4

Bell_UH-1 side.png

• 2 weeks later...

Question to 8kx owners: would you trade the FOV for higher resolution? The Varjo seems to have a very good resolution and so optimised drivers that it runs as fast as the current headsets. (You tuber VRflightsimguy runs it faster than a G2 in MSFS). But in DCS I can imagine that having a good FOV is better for say hovering in a Huey. Better resolution on the other hand would make all the warning lights readable apart from the ability to spot enemies etc. The new 12kx, we’ll do we have the hardware to drive this headset in a year?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jonfog said:

Question to 8kx owners: would you trade the FOV for higher resolution? The Varjo seems to have a very good resolution and so optimised drivers that it runs as fast as the current headsets. (You tuber VRflightsimguy runs it faster than a G2 in MSFS). But in DCS I can imagine that having a good FOV is better for say hovering in a Huey. Better resolution on the other hand would make all the warning lights readable apart from the ability to spot enemies etc. The new 12kx, we’ll do we have the hardware to drive this headset in a year?

Personally No,I have had The Oculas CV1 and The Pimax 5K+ .The Large FOV totally improves immersion by 500%....It's like going from  wearing a pair of blinders to going to  a surrounded panoramic. 

• Like 1

Patrick

mini.gif

On 11/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, jonfog said:

Not sure, I’ve tried the vive pro 2 and the first reverb and those got sent back. My 8kx has good enough visuals that it rival those two HMD’s + FOV so perhaps not relevant. I preferred the 5k+ to the reverb g1 though. It might be the varjo is such an improvement that I would choose that one, but I’m not in a situation where I really feel like I need to try the varjo. I like the different ways you can tune the pimax and if their next HMD can deliver there will be plenty of compromises available in settings even though other hardware will not be able to max it out.

On 11/13/2021 at 4:01 PM, jonfog said:

I'm a user of the Reverb G2 and 8KX.

I hardly use my Reverb G2 when I'm piloting, the fact is that the FOV, even limited to 150 is far, far better than what the Reverb offers. It's significantly more immersive and makes things like formation flying and aar far easier. There's a drop in resolution, but I can still read all the gauges(F-14A). If you're doing something like dogfighting, having the peripheral is good, since you odn't have to wrench you neck as much as another headset. 

However, the 8KX is extremely performance intensive, and my 3090 isn't powerful enough still.

Fingers crossed the Pimax 12KX with proper eyetracking will address many of the performance problems while having a better resolution.

I went from 5k+, which I loved, to the vive pro 2. The fov is decent on the VP2, better than G2. Not nearly as good as pimax, but it sure is sharper. I found it a solid upgrade.

But if you stick with the 5k+ I can totally understand why. It is immersive for things like formation flying. But it looks blocky and pixellated by comparison. Reading the cockpit is so much easier with VP2.

• Like 1

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

4 minutes ago, SneakyBastd said:

I went from 5k+, which I loved, to the vive pro 2. The fov is decent on the VP2, better than G2. Not nearly as good as pimax, but it sure is sharper. I found it a solid upgrade.

But if you stick with the 5k+ I can totally understand why. It is immersive for things like formation flying. But it looks blocky and pixellated by comparison. Reading the cockpit is so much easier with VP2.

Yep the Vive Pro 2 is a pretty sweet headset for our combat flight sims. I know some prefer a larger FOV, in my case though I much prefer the sharper visuals over larger FOV. Perhaps someday we will have it all.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

37 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yep the Vive Pro 2 is a pretty sweet headset for our combat flight sims. I know some prefer a larger FOV, in my case though I much prefer the sharper visuals over larger FOV. Perhaps someday we will have it all.

You have the Aero on order right?

7 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

You have the Aero on order right?

Yep so far.

Don B

On 11/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, dburne said:

Yep so far.

I could've went to the bank on that fact....  😁

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 4 weeks later...

Well I guess my CPU Intel-i9-9900K and GPU RTX-2080Ti are too humble to cope with that...

I think I'll be needing a brand new High-End PC to shake hands with this Pimax innovation!

Question: Can the current NVIDEA RTX 3090 handle the 12K @ 200Hz? 

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

7 hours ago, BiBa said:

Well I guess my CPU Intel-i9-9900K and GPU RTX-2080Ti are too humble to cope with that...

I think I'll be needing a brand new High-End PC to shake hands with this Pimax innovation!

Question: Can the current NVIDEA RTX 3090 handle the 12K @ 200Hz? 

probably not

By the time Pimax 12k headset comes out probably there will be at least 40xx GPU's.

Don B

4 hours ago, dburne said:

By the time Pimax 12k headset comes out probably there will be at least 40xx GPU's.

And for DCS it still not enough to run a 12k headset. Cuz CPU gets a vote too.

23 hours ago, Harlikwin said:

And for DCS it still not enough to run a 12k headset. Cuz CPU gets a vote too.

AMD Ryzen 9_5950X might do the job:

Clock frequency: 3,40 GHz    CPU Cores: 16
Turbo: 4,90 GHz    CPU Threads: 32

...and as dburne mentioned: By the time Pimax 12k headset comes out probably there will be at least 24 Cores CPU's.

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

50 minutes ago, BiBa said:

AMD Ryzen 9_5950X might do the job:

Clock frequency: 3,40 GHz    CPU Cores: 16
Turbo: 4,90 GHz    CPU Threads: 32

...and as dburne mentioned: By the time Pimax 12k headset comes out probably there will be at least 24 Cores CPU's.

Irrelevant to DCS, it uses 1 core.