Multicore CPU performance improvement

Prophet

Beware! :devil_2:

It might be the case where this trick isn't actually providing a GAIN but rather getting rid of some sort of a "bug " and bringing back the nominal performance.

Remember dxiag - turn off the hardware sound acceleration trick? In some games-soundcard combination it trippled the FPS. It doesn't mean that one can claim "I get 3 times higher FPS than anyone else". He doesn't get the FPS any higher than a person with no game-soundcard combination issue.

So, untill I see XP vs Vista (with the trick) comparison I will say it's a bogus.

Well I don't deny that if I were to install it on my XP partition, that I may get more FPS without the affinity change. However, surely, if you can get more FPS by doing it than without, then why wouldn't you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Intel E6750 @3.2Ghz | 2GB OCZ PC2-6400 RAM | XFX 680i SLI | BFG GTX260 216SP | Western Digital 3200AAKS 320GB SATA II HDD |

| Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA II HDD | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard | Samsung 245B 24" TFT Monitor |

| Logitech Z-5400 Digital THX 5.1 speakers | Logitech G15 | Logitech MX1000 | TM Cougar #27955 | TrackIR 3 Pro

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm this also.

In some cases, changing the affinity to 2 CPUs more than doubled my FPS!

Amraam,

Can you or someone else, post the steps on how to change affinity to 2 cpu's, for both Vista and Xp 32 bit ?

Thank you , i'm eager to try this....

Well I don't deny that if I were to install it on my XP partition, that I may get more FPS without the affinity change. However, surely, if you can get more FPS by doing it than without, then why wouldn't you?

There's no point in not using it if it works but there is a point in warning people who are going to dump XP for Vista+trick just because they think they will get higher FPS. It is not confirmed yet.

There's no point in not using it if it works but there is a point in warning people who are going to dump XP for Vista+trick just because they think they will get higher FPS. It is not confirmed yet.

That is true. It might even be a placebo. No one actually confirmed that if application starts with 2 cores on its mind by default, and then ALT-TABBED and forced on single core only creates FPS drop in result. Only ED programmers/debuggers can confirm what is really happening behind the scene.

Well I'm very happy with my pimped (internally and exterior too) XP SP3, so Vista is a no-no, maybe Windows 7 SP1 will be, but until then, thank you.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Start the game,

alt-tab out,

hit ctrl-alt-del to start windows task manager,

R-click on DCS in applications and select "go to process",

R-click again on DCS.exe to then select "set affinity",

Select all your CPUs and click ok.

Done!

• Like 1

i7 930@ 3.8GHz, Corsair H50-1, Asus P6X58D-E, 6gb Patriot Ram, ATI 5850 1 Gb, Antec 300, F3 1GB HDD, Corsair 24" Dell 2408WFP.

Saitek X52 Pro+Rudder, TrackIR4

Please remember to post your OS that you are running when posting your results, it may be that Vista has an advantage with this Sim over XP but we won't know until further results are compared.

I have one Intel Core2Duo system (3.2 Ghz) and 2 Quad Core systems (1= Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz and the 2nd= AMD Phenom X4 9850 @ 3.0 Ghz) to test this on.

So to start off, I first tested it on the Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz running WinXP 32 bit with an Nvidia Quadro FX570 graphics card and 4Gb of system ram, no difference in fps from single core or enabling all four cores for DCS.exe. Tonight I will test the other two systems and then also test it while on Vista 32 bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe it has something to do with ALT+TAB :D. I remember that trick has been used by some LOMAC players to regain FPS.

I am using Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 on Athlon64 X2 6000+ with swap disabled. Only about 3fps boost is achieved with affinity set for both cores. Something what I have been expecting as game is multithreaded, however I think that setting can lead to some stutter in complex situations, just like in LockOn.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

ALT+TAB may be better FPS regain fix for Vista, because Vista still is the most revolting memory hog OS to date.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

What people talk about is the game performance. What ED is talking about is the handling of file handling with extreme big missions - read: big amount of units on the map.

Absolutely correct!

That's exactly why I have 2 statements in my post:

1. I still wonder about the file-handling-performance - which I still do.

and

2. Vista is optimized for multiple CPU-usage, which gives a performance boost on multi-CPU/Core plattforms - which is apparently the case.

@ Topic:

My difference on XP32 Pro = practically 0, no matter what setting. I get a very minor increase, if I shift all programs to one core using the other "exclusively" for BS. But that boost is about 1-3 FPS average, so it could as well be due to other circumstances.

Edited by Feuerfalke
  • Like 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

for me, it seems like Vista is running BS with less FPS than XP, until you "loose the break" by running it on multiple cores... just a feeling, but most of the FPS numbers i see around are not very high on vista, even on good machines.

without changing anything, i get 45-65 FPS out of my XP 32bit:

Q6600 2.4Ghz

8800 GT 512 MB

onboardsound

1680 x 1050

everything maxed out, exept water (normal) and shadows (all planar)

4xAA

8xAF

v-sync on/enabled

TrackIR and SaitekSST running (and maybe 20 troyans, on a very fragmented HDD :))

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

how you guys do the affinity thing, sorry for the ignorance. but I am not familiar with it

Thank you

peter22

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

how you guys do the affinity thing, sorry for the ignorance. but I am not familiar with it

Thank you

peter22

Start the game,

alt-tab out,

hit ctrl-alt-del to start windows task manager,

R-click on DCS in applications and select "go to process",

R-click again on DCS.exe to then select "set affinity",

Select all your CPUs and click ok.

Done!

Did you rebooted your PC after changing the affinity or did you closed the game, changed the affinity and restarted "just" the game?

This option does not remember itself. So I just started the instant action, took the screen shot. Alt-tabbed and made the change in task manager. Alt tabbed back to the game, took the second screen shot. Then did it again from another perspective. There was no reloading of the game or mission, all from the same instance.

I also alt-tabbed out once I initially entered the cockpit, just habit from LOMAC.

And I am using V64, but it should be the same process for XP.

Edited by =Prophet=

2 Groove and other sceptics (except GGTharos... he's hopeless :))

The presence of this feature is agreed to by Dmut and have reasons in some LO problems solved in DCS. However, as he said, the instruction "SetCoreAffinity" to set (try to guess...) the game affinity to one core on DCS.exe module start remained there. This, some Vista DX9 features and the fact that game and the launcher are 2 different aplications, gives you what you get:

Under windows Vista setting the DCS.exe process affinity after its launch gives additional 10-50% of FPS.

Less pronounced effect may appear on XP systems.

Have a nice day.

Edited by DarkWanderer
  • Like 1

You want the best? Here i am...

Okay, as promised I have done a test, and for XP I cannot confirm this. PC specs below, used the following settings:

WinXP SP3

1280x1024

Catalyst AI set to advanced

8AF, 4AA

Highest settings in BS

Recorded 5 minutes of a track using FRAPS.

The result was that in both cases FRAPS showed exactly the same values for min., max. and average FPS (avg. rounded to one decimal).

There was one difference though. I logged CPU load with task manager, and when the affinity was set to one core this core had a load of ~75% and the other of ~50%, whereas when I set the affinity to both cores each of them showed a load of ~60%.

So if this tweak works, then it seems to be restricted to Vista.

2 Groove and other sceptics (except GGTharos... he's hopeless :))

The presence of this feature is agreed to by Dmut and have reasons in some LO problems solved in DCS. However, as he said, the instruction "SetCoreAffinity" to set (try to guess...) the game affinity to one core on DCS.exe module start remained there. This, some Vista DX9 features and the fact that game and the launcher are 2 different aplications, gives you what you get:

Under windows Vista setting the DCS.exe process affinity after its launch gives additional 10-50% of FPS.

Less pronounced effect may appear on XP systems.

Have a nice day.

So it seems that there might be improvement on Vista systems over XP (due to this and others chiming in on Vista systems that it does help), so I will have to do an install on Vista tonight to test this out, since my XP test on a quad core cpu showed no difference or improvement in fps. This might just be a feather in Vista's hat for once.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

and that setting will remaing in there or I have to repeat the process averytime I open the exe?

My Rig:I7 4790K OC to 4.5 GHz .Memory ram 16GB 64 Bit MOB Asus Maximus hero VII Nvidia NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 T Asus Monitor 4K at 3840x2160 Windos 10 64-bit on SDD 500 and DCS on separate SSD drive. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog CH pro pedals

and that setting will remaing in there or I have to repeat the process averytime I open the exe?

As I said, DCS process sets its affinity to one core everytime it starts - so tyes, you have to repeat.

But now there's possibility that ED will fix that.

Acedy, thanks for test, will fetch the results to Dmut.

You want the best? Here i am...