Who and for what Would you like to buy any new modules?

mosqui

Add me to the (very likely long?) list of people that are holding on DCS module purchases for the forseeable future.

Like with others here, DCS 2.7 is unplayable for me. 
And it gets worse with every new version release of Open Beta (or Stable, doesn't matter) - which I do test everytime, following preparation of my installation after seeing the prompt for update.

Something that should have turned on enough alarms already is seeing inumerous people with RTX 3080/3090 or RX 6800XT/6900XT complaining about performance, which (IMO) is just not acceptable.
Mainly because those are probably the top 10% or 15% of the total DCS population. Now, if it's that bad for those on top hardware, then just imagine how much worse it is for the majority of users that, almost surely, can't or won't upgrade to those top levels (current GPU prices are unacceptable).

Yes, the new effects, clouds, water, propellers, and etc, it all looks great, but the performance hit is just not acceptable.
It looks to me that the tech used on this is either not mature enough to be applied, or simply too expensive (on resources impact) to make it pratical for public/customer use with the current engine. Either way, optimization seems necessary, urgent. Not something to perhaps do later.

Also, yes, it's great to see such amazing texture details from hi-res Normals and Roughmets on everything but, with all honesty, seeing those at 4K and 8K sizes, and in 32-bit for so many cases, is kind of disturbing. The downsides are obvious and easily seen in-game, as it devours VRAM (Video Memory) on GPUs like there's no tomorrow, and exponentially increases required storage size and activity/loading on the drive (SSD).
This kind of (excessive) detail should be an optional, for example a separate (free) DLC, and not imposed to everybody, unable to opt out of it.
It has been pointed more than once before but, still maintain, those oversized Normal and Roughmet textures should be 1K and 2K sizes, and 8-bit, by default and for everybody.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:30 AM, NukeBear01 said:

ED needs to find a balance between game graphics and performance. When players’ hardware can’t support the smooth running of the current game version and lower they graphics settings, they should get the “old version”  high-level graphics  of the game instead of poor low-level graphics.There are many players who would rather the game graphics level be at 2.5.6 if they can get better game performance. What they really want  is the new modules and the new functions of the old modules.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:27 AM, Golo said:

Yes, absolutely. What is even point of having nice graphics when you are unable to fly with it. Dont get me wrong I love how the version 2.7 looks, but it is not worth loosing half of my FPS over. If you cant do it without significant performance loss, which is most important feature for me, then dont do it. 

ED I suggest instead of testing new versions on your supercomputers, you get mid-low system for that and then decide if its good enough to implement them. Because loosing 30FPS on high end system is inconvenience, on mid-low system it is reason for sim retirement.

Fully agree.

I'm actually still flying DCS 2.5.6 (its latest stable relase) and, to anyone with performance issues, that's what I recommend going back to.

It's not like 2.5.6 was a marvellous example of performance and optimization (it's not), it too had some of the same issues but, indeed, performance is night and day (so much better!) compared to 2.7 and its latest releases.

The small group of friends I fly with, we've been all similarly using latest 2.5.6 stable DCS installations. We simply do not use 2.7.
Of course we don't have the latest eye-candy of 2.7, but we're more than happy with that trade-off for performance and stutter free experience.

If you add to it mods like performance shaders, terrain textures, reduced texture sizes all around on Normals and Roughmets, etc, it all just runs so much better while still looking absolutely great, that it becomes kind of easy to forget about 2.7 and stay with 2.5.6.  

The main issue about staying with 2.5.6 really is to be left out, for most recent and future modules - and on point for the topic at hand.
In my case for example, I was looking forward to get upcoming modules such as the F-15E Strike Eagle, A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair, Su-17 Fitter, Mirage F1 and MiG-17 Fresco (whenever they get out, that is) but, as things are, I don't see that happening. 

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Have to agree, Performance doesn't justify the graphics at present.  Sure its a fact dcs looks better but not so great that equals the ridiculous draw on hardware.  Absolutely will not Buy the Apache,  Hind is lagging behind both in its progress and FPS, and lets not Start about the Blackshark 3....  All we can do is make these uneducated guess's as to why they release shiny objects when it destroys so much performance.  You would think this stuff would come out after Multi core and Vulcan.  

Truly don't understand the direction or the Leadership decisions on allot of these early access modules dev and where is the CORE improvements....

Put allot of time trying to help others with issues and help add to bug reports.  Right now with how VR performance has just gone to hell,  feels like a non recoverable sinking ship.  I hear all I need to hear,  Folks with 3090's in vr not able to fly comfortably anymore,  As 18B Instructor use to say,  "The Ship Has Sailed"

Core should be the Number one 5 meter target,  Not Cash cows that wont be complete for years down the road....

Edited by Enduro14
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Gotta add my voice to this topic too...  I've long had to play DCS on laptops.  I've always been able to do that by reducing settings to get smooth frame rates and I just accept the lesser picture as the cost.  My problem is that with recent updates I'm running out of settings to reduce and I'm about out of 'wiggle room'. 

While I greatly appreciate Marianas and the incredible work which has gone into it, it really is unflyable for me.  But performance is decreasing across all of the maps for me!  If performance continues to degrade I simply won't be able to play. I'd be really disappointed about that because DCS is incredible!  

DCS's strength is that it's a combat simulation.  When I use it as intended I don't have much time to spend admiring the scenery, and besides there are other sims for that.  Please ED, prioritise the combat simulation and the framerates to enjoy that, even at the expense of the scenery outside the cockpit.

Thanks for the awesome simulation (and for hearing me out).  There really is nothing like it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At the moment the only thing that would make me buy modules directly from ED (third parties I view differently) are significant updates to core, especially AI and better use of hardware/ more efficient engine.

I think most people are happy or at least content with the current level of visual quality, so I don’t really understand why ED tries to cram ever more eye-candy into the already squeaking engine we have now. 
I mean DCS right now is lacking heavily in the entire AI spectrum and it’s not as if improvements in that area , along with an improved FM for AI will come without their own cost in processing power.

So personally I’d rather see them stopping to try to get ever better graphics out of the current engine and leave some buffer for other stuff that requires processing power, even if that will most likely be drawn from CPU alone.

Sure they maybe can offset some of that with multi-processor support and the graphics stuff with Vulcan,but until it’s here I m sceptic if the gains will be that big , given the age of the engine.

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 6

2.7 goes to stable. No fix for FPS loss. In my case it's from stable and constant 60 (locked) to 40-45-50 (ground, low, high, sea, land, you get the point) I could make a better use of money i spent on Ah-64 preorder. What's more i bought Channel. i really dont know why...

Edited by BIGNEWY
profanity
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, q800 said:

2.7 goes to stable. No fix for FPS loss. In my case it's from stable and constant 60 (locked) to 40-45-50 (ground, low, high, sea, land, you get the point) I could make a better use of money i spent on Ah-64 preorder. What's more i bought Channel. , i really dont know why...

Post in this forum, I suspect allot more people will be unhappy with this patch going to stable.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

• ED Team

If you have performance issues post your dcs logs, your dxdiag, let us know your system spec, add a track replay showing an example of a drop in FPS. 

without this we are unable to assist, it's just a guessing game. 

Now I have a very strong system, I have just updated to windows 11 also, and I am seeing better performance than ever. The team are aware some people are seeing issues, we have lower spec machines to test on also, but we are not seeing the problems some are claiming to have. That is not to say it isnt happening, but we are unable to reproduce at this time. 

Please ensure windows and all drivers are up to date, 

remove all unofficial mods, edits, or shader mods.

run a slow repair or verify if steam. 

Renaming your dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup ) and then running DCS again to set all settings to default to test, check you have no shaders, scripts or unofficial mods creating a problem. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2