Virpil throttle not working in DCS ...

Go to solution Solved by CTBlankenship,

Howdy all,

I have a problem with the Virpil throttle working in the A10-C cockpit. I assigned the throttle levers to Throttle Left and Throttle Right. After this assignment, when I move the throttles, the little white line shows that DCS is getting the signal from the Virpil throttle, BUT the throttle in the cockpit does not move when I move the thrust levers on the Virpil throttle.

Also, I've assigned the six push buttons to Taxi and Landing lights on and off as well as APU Start and APU Off and they work, so I know the throttle is communicating with the A10-C II.

I've uninstalled DCS ... then reinstalled it and then installed the A10 from scratch. I had high hopes for this but the solution evades me.

Otherwise this is $811 down the drain.

Thanks,

C. T. Blankenship

Intel I7-4770K @ 4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, EGVA GTX 1070 SC, Three ASUS PA248 24" monitors, 500 GB SSD, Saitek X-56 Throttle and Stick, TrackIR

You may have a double binding of the axis' to another device.

There is definetly no general problem with the virpil throttle (I use one, too). So eventually you will work it out - no worries.

Edit: You could reset and recalibrate the throttle in the virpil software, see if that makes a difference. But since you stated that you get a responce in the controlls options menu, I strongly suspect a double binding.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

OK ... now things are getting interesting. Just on a whim I used the Startup Procedure (auto start) and both engines startup ... AND both of the throttles now work ... soool, the problem is not on the VirPil side ... go figure.

However, when I'm working with a manual start the original problem still exists ... this game can be confusing at times.

Thanks ... 

• Like 1

Intel I7-4770K @ 4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, EGVA GTX 1070 SC, Three ASUS PA248 24" monitors, 500 GB SSD, Saitek X-56 Throttle and Stick, TrackIR

1 minute ago, CTBlankenship said:

OK ... now things are getting interesting. Just on a whim I used the Startup Procedure (auto start) and both engines startup ... AND both of the throttles now work ... soool, the problem is not on the VirPil side ... go figure.

However, when I'm working with a manual start the original problem still exists ... this game can be confusing at times.

Thanks ... 

In some modules, certain controls would not work until the electric or hydraulic systems are running.

I have no(!) idea if that is the case with this module and the throttle. Just a thought.

Good thing - your hardware is fine. Everything else can be sort out! Good Luck!

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• Solution

The solution to this problem still evades me but I found a work around. The Virpil throttle has a bank of six buttons ... I mapped the Engine Start action and Engine Stop action to four of those buttons. As soon as I press the Engine Start button, the throttle advances as expected and works for the rest of the game.

Thanks to all that participated, your time was most appreciated.

C. T. Blankenship

• Like 1

Hi,

I have the CM2 Version but I guess you got the new CM3 Version right? DCS will block the throttle movement if don´t press the idle and cut off buttons. I would guess that the default profile of you CM3 has mapped virtual buttons to throttle axis if you pass your detent positions. The best way to find out if this is the case, just check via the vpc joy tester if buttons get pressed if you move the throttle. You can assign these buttons to DCS.

If the default profile has no buttons assigned to your throttle axis you can do it on your own.

You can find an youtube tutorial how this is done (you can also use this if you want buttons for flaps but still use the flap axis)

Greetings

Merlin😀

• 1 month later...

I have the first Virpil throttle version, and after pausing 4 weeks on DCS I wanted to fly a round in the A10CII again. Buttons on the throttle work, but the engine does not start. 4 weeks ago everything was fine, no virpil update. ED again messed around in one of the not tested updates is my guess. Btw, in Il2 everything still works fine, perhaps you should get som quality testers from them 😉

Update: after restarting DCS now it works again. Funny... I changed nothing - only ED did throw updates around. OB version as well as "Stable". I hope I dont need to restart now all the time due to some codebugs introduced by ED to get the feeling of a "real buggy plane" 😄

Edited by Docsnuggles

On 10/27/2021 at 6:18 PM, Merlin_VFA34 said:

Hi,

I have the CM2 Version but I guess you got the new CM3 Version right? DCS will block the throttle movement if don´t press the idle and cut off buttons. I would guess that the default profile of you CM3 has mapped virtual buttons to throttle axis if you pass your detent positions. The best way to find out if this is the case, just check via the vpc joy tester if buttons get pressed if you move the throttle. You can assign these buttons to DCS.

If the default profile has no buttons assigned to your throttle axis you can do it on your own.

You can find an youtube tutorial how this is done (you can also use this if you want buttons for flaps but still use the flap axis)

Greetings

Merlin😀

I had the same issue - its definitely not Virpil, ED messed around with input in the updates it seems. Restarting DCS now in the first time fixed it for me atm.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2021 at 9:37 AM, Docsnuggles said:

update again: on takeoff i had now a ctd. No other game makes such troubles as DCS actually. Clean install, no mods.

Yes, MSFS. To the point I decided to just unistall it.

Personally I have had minimal ctd with DCS (Flown for two years and had one handfull of them).

Edited by MIghtymoo

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR