Added the Hind to our server mission. Would like to get some Hind pilots feedback.

You need to set up the radio presets for your hinds. You are the mission maker, it is your job.

I disagree with people who think we should have arming window options to tune our radio frequencies. In many modules there is the ability to manually tune radios, it does not exist in the Mi-24. We rely on the ground crew to configure the radios for the combat theater and other mission assets.

You are the mission maker. You serve this role as our ground crew.

There is nothing more annoying than to join into a hind slot you carelessly plopped into your mission, and I can't communicate with anything in the briefing because you didn't set up the darned radios!!!

• Like 1

For hind and hip there are too many radar sams, fighters and long range IR. Infantry and man pads make the best chopper gameplay. What kills is complete absence of infantry, stingers, fortifications and fortified enemy outposts. Hind and hip are fun to use in semi partisan warfare like Afghanistan or Chechnya. With a rare tank or IFV in between. Also use random spawns. 

Check this to see what I mean https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/283224-syrian-random-combat-helicopters/?tab=comments#comment-4786861

Otherwise good direction. Short flight time. but keep in mind I mostly play chopper. 

Edited by Sobakopes

On 10/26/2021 at 6:33 PM, Miles Vorkosigan said:

We added the Hind to our Cold War 1973-1977 server missions and would like to get some feedback from Hind pilots. What is working and what would you like to see in the mission?

Thanks for your effort @Miles Vorkosigan

Could you please help me out on where to find your mission? Is it a MP only mission, or can it be played SP as well? If it can be played SP, I'd like to try it.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:03 PM, randomTOTEN said:

You need to set up the radio presets for your hinds. You are the mission maker, it is your job.

I disagree with people who think we should have arming window options to tune our radio frequencies. In many modules there is the ability to manually tune radios, it does not exist in the Mi-24. We rely on the ground crew to configure the radios for the combat theater and other mission assets.

You are the mission maker. You serve this role as our ground crew.

There is nothing more annoying than to join into a hind slot you carelessly plopped into your mission, and I can't communicate with anything in the briefing because you didn't set up the darned radios!!!

"it is your job"

"...because you didn't set up the darned radios!!!"

Wow... just wow...

Someone spends a shit load of time to create a mission for you to enjoy for free and you respond/give feedback like this?! Seriously dude... If you can't bring up the decency to respectfully give feedback, just learn how to create your own missions instead...

Sorry, had to vent... posts like this piss me off

• Like 5

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hi Miles,

First, I need to apologize for an error I made. Here I said,

On 10/26/2021 at 3:03 PM, randomTOTEN said:

there is the ability to manually tune radios, it does not exist in the Mi-24.

I clearly forgot we have the Jardo-1A radio, which in fact can be manually tuned. Oops.. my bad. Pretty much nobody makes use of this radio, outside of well built rescue missions.

Anyways,

On 10/28/2021 at 8:56 AM, Miles Vorkosigan said:

I am not a Hind pilot but I think I have the presets correctly configured. Jump in and try again. 

Hey, thanks for taking my very harsh response and making something useful out of it. I didn't really mean to come off that badly, but I'm telling you, this is a unanimous problem. I actually hadn't even joined your server when I made that post, because I was so sure it was true.

Thank you for asking the Hind community for tips, and thanks for acting on my testy suggestion.

I joined your .miz "Estonian Liberation 10-31-21," in slot "NATO HIND 1-1." I read your briefing, including the images, and looked at the F-10 map. I used the Target range script to locate the target range, and realized it's very far away for a Hind (37 minutes 1-way I calculate). Okay, that's fine.

You did a pretty good job setting up the radio. All you could really add (as an option) is the tower frequency for Anapa, considering it's so close. I assume you didn't program the range frequencies 270mhz and 260mhz because it's so far away...

What's further needed is that information somewhere in the Briefing... I'm specifically talking the channel numbers. Let me give you an example not related to the Hind: You placed an AWACS in the mission. When you placed it, you gave it (or let it keep) the frequency of 251.0 mhz AM. If you would have ended the process there, the mission wouldn't work, because your users wouldn't know how to contact the AWACS (assuming it was visible on the friendly unit list). Those of us experienced would have gotten lucky, because that looks like a default frequency (in fact they all do) so we could have guessed it. But you understood that part of the process of setting up an AWACS was to inform us how we should contact it. By putting it's information (freq) in the briefing.

So back to the Hind. You would like me to check the presets. So I jump into your Hind slot and I'm looking at 4 radios, 3 of which exclusively use presets (and are actually useful). Lets start with R-863, the main radio. I know (highly suspect) it's the one you set up 😉

I see I'm sitting cold at some sort of FARP. I should call the FARP Controller to request startup clearance.. which preset is that? For which radio?

You see my problem here?

For the R-863 I could try calling the FARP on each of the 20 frequency presets until I found the one you set. Then I could repeat the process until I identify every single one of your presets.

Likewise, in an A-10C I could call on every single frequency possible with the UHF until I found the one that is tuned to the AWACS. But you already anticipate that problem. I'm just asking to extend that throught process to the Hind (and I guess I should have mentioned that point in my first reply).

You don't fly the Hind, so I guess I really shouldn't blame you. In all the instant action missions where you have to call somebody, you are told in the briefing (and often via popup message) which radio to use, which preset channel to select, and who to call. This is easy and seamless, and really makes the radios as easy to operate as they're actually designed.

Let me tell you how I actually verified your radio setup... despite the complete absence of info in the briefing. I have SimpleRadioStandalone running. I pulled up the radio overlay, which gives me a fictitious real time readout of the radio crystals you inserted during maintenance. I.e. I can see the real time preset frequency. I then compared them to the F10 info (Anapa, FARP) and your briefing. Easy.

Without this cheat, it's basically impossible to use the radios for the Hind. Because nobody knows how to build a mission for it (other than ED/Belsimtek). And we Hind pilots have to suffer through this on damn every single mission. (Yes, even *that* mission). Thank god for SRS.

Thank you for making the effort Miles, and I hope this helps explain the issue, and the solution needed.

I would also suggest that if you make the presets identical for all aircraft (i.e. AWACS is always on #2), you don't have to specialize instructions for each module.

Seems Sirrah doesn't like to read the truth...

Edited by randomTOTEN

3 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

Seems Sirrah doesn't like to read the truth..

Sure.. that's the reason why I reacted to your initial feedback... 🤦‍♂️

I only reacted because you were rude. Why not just communicate with people like you would irl? (in the above post you show that you can)

Anyways, my appologies for going off topic.

On topic: Found the server yesterday, but unfortunately both Hind slots were taken. Hopefully I can give it a go later this week.

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 4

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

2 hours ago, sirrah said:

I only reacted because you were rude.

I really don't care for your reactions. I didn't ask for them, I'm not in control of them, and I don't appreciate them. In the context of my minor annoyance for radios, having to endure you trying to tell me off is unacceptable behavior, and I will not stand for it. You are in no position to tone police me.

2 hours ago, sirrah said:

Why not just communicate with people like you would irl?

IRL I will not tolerate these communications with me. And I will not accept it here.

Already I have worked for free to improve this person's mission. Don't you dare tell me about the value of free labor or mission design. As of yet, you have provided zero feedback for Miles' mission. You couldn't even find it without asking for a handhold (it took me less than 45 seconds to find). You are not in a position of moral superiority here.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're having a bad moment. These happen, maybe it's happening here and now. If you cannot treat me with respect I will not communicate with you. And I will not tolerate your outbursts.

Edited by randomTOTEN
puncuation