Best weapons loadout for AI F14

Gunfreak

So the AI doesn't work with AIM54s on the Tomcats, only firing them at 25nm instead of the 75+. What loadout would you give the Tomcats to make them more effective until the Phoenix's are fixed.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

Hi all, I recently bought F14 tomcat mainly to use Phoenix long range missiles by launching the missile from 60 - 65 miles.  What angers me is that when I ask my wingman to attack a single aircraft, it approaches 20 miles and then fires a phoenix.  I did a test with an AI wingman F15E armed with a 120C aim and he behaved the same way, he fired from a range of 20 miles I would like to know if there is a bug on AI COMBAT A/A. 

3 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

So the AI doesn't work with AIM54s on the Tomcats, only firing them at 25nm instead of the 75+. What loadout would you give the Tomcats to make them more effective until the Phoenix's are fixed.

Sparrows, 4 or 6 of them, and then fill the rest with Winders. Restrict the mission to a mid 80's scenario, so they can remain competitive. And prey they don't face MiG-31's....

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

It's kind of a pain to set up, but I give them the old baseline ED AIM-54Cs, which the AI will use from proper ranges. Curiously enough, the player can also use these missiles. Do note that they won't look right on the glove stations as they hover out there, but are fine on the centerline.

Screen_211026_222654.png

The code for the old missiles is "{7575BA0B-7294-4844-857B-031A144B2595}" and you can either add them to your MissionEditor\UnitPayloads\F-14A-135-GR.lua (or F-14B.lua) files or you can open up a mission in a text editor and modify the payloads directly, then open the ME up and save the mission payload as a custom payload.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NeedzWD40 said:

It's kind of a pain to set up, but I give them the old baseline ED AIM-54Cs, which the AI will use from proper ranges. Curiously enough, the player can also use these missiles. Do note that they won't look right on the glove stations as they hover out there, but are fine on the centerline.

Screen_211026_222654.png

The code for the old missiles is "{7575BA0B-7294-4844-857B-031A144B2595}" and you can either add them to your MissionEditor\UnitPayloads\F-14A-135-GR.lua (or F-14B.lua) files or you can open up a mission in a text editor and modify the payloads directly, then open the ME up and save the mission payload as a custom payload.

I've never edited a lua. 

Where in the document do I paste the code?

16 hours ago, NeedzWD40 said:

Screen_211026_222654.png

I don't have a UnitPayloads for F14, infact the only plane I have in that folder is the mossie. Even though I have like 8+ or so aircraft in DCS.

Unfortunately I don't remember well but it was a few months ago, I had created a bombing mission with a B1 LANCER IA. I had a spare F14 IA which, after a warning from an awacs, engaged a Russian bomber, I don't remember what type, fired an aim 54 phoenix from a distance of about 70 miles. I don't know if some update has ruined aim 54 phoenix IA, this is very annoying

On 10/27/2021 at 2:42 AM, Gunfreak said:

Where in the document do I paste the code?

I decided to make it easy for everyone and made a simple mission template:

F14 AI Missiles Example.miz

Load up the mission in the editor, select one of the F-14 groups, then look at the payload section, then right click on "Mission Payload" and copy it. Name it whatever you desire and you now have the old AIM-54 loadout for the new F-14s. You'll have to do the same for both F-14A and F-14B, and if you need the weapons for a different tasking you'll have to change the tasking and repeat the mission payload copy. I have included three configurations for the payloads on all AI planes, including the hovering AIM-54s on the glove stations (the AI doesn't care). You'll find the AI will engage targets from about 70-80nmi depending on conditions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NeedzWD40 said:

I decided to make it easy for everyone and made a simple mission template:

F14 AI Missiles Example.miz 14.53 kB · 4 downloads

Load up the mission in the editor, select one of the F-14 groups, then look at the payload section, then right click on "Mission Payload" and copy it. Name it whatever you desire and you now have the old AIM-54 loadout for the new F-14s. You'll have to do the same for both F-14A and F-14B, and if you need the weapons for a different tasking you'll have to change the tasking and repeat the mission payload copy. I have included three configurations for the payloads on all AI planes, including the hovering AIM-54s on the glove stations (the AI doesn't care). You'll find the AI will engage targets from about 70-80nmi depending on conditions.

Thank you!