A2G GM/SEA mode odd with Boats

pchRage

I have a 3-ship of ...ships... big cargo tankers moving in a straight line at 17kts.

At 40nm the SEA mode radar sees nothing.  At ~20nm it see's a single dot.  If I EXP.. nothing shows up.  If I try to TMS UP, nothing happens.  If I try to hit TGT having the cursor centered on the ship, nothing happens (probably because I couldnt bug target). 

I redo the test using GM mode.. and it sees the ships in Norm/DMBS1/2.  I can TMS Up, TGT, etc per normal.... BUT.. why would GM be able to see these ships MOVING at 17kts?

GM sees and tracks moving targets just fine except for DBS which tends to blur out motion. SEA doesn't get DBS modes probably for that reason. FTT isn't really in right now in the sense that it actually tracks objects. Despite the "F", FTT tracks don't have to be stationary. FTT is the tracking mode associated with mapping radar modes other than GMT (which gets MTT). GMT filters out stationary but GM does not filter out moving. We have a sort of freeze mode designate instead. The antenna markers are jittering like they're doing real FTT but it's clear it's not tracking a ship which will move away from the diamond. I don't know if FTT is happy to track a truck going down the highway at 120 mph but a ship at 17 knots is fine.

I was able to detect a Seawise Giant at about 43nm (possibly 80km) beam aspect in GM and the same in SEA.  I got the same performance EGM/RBM and gain min/max didn't seem to do anything except change the brightness of the return. My understanding is that radar detection depends on TGP rendering range (or it was). I was unable to see the ship in TGP outside of 80km and when I got closer slightly I could clearly.

SEA radar mode is a filtered version of GM. Right now our ocean is jet black no returns in GM. That's reasonable for still water but in poor weather winds make waves and waves make radar clutter. SEA mode is designed to filter out the sea state clutter which is troublesome in GM over rough water. When the ocean is giving no clutter then there's no point in using SEA mode.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DBS is the only blurry thing because of how it works. Norm/exp should be fine in GM or SEA.

TMS up and exp should work identically in GM and SEA. And I haven't noticed them any different is DCS except that SEA lacks DBS. EXP currently has a blacked out sector with a few degrees of the nose so you won't see a ship straight ahead.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I was wondering about this too. So for me in SEA mode I can find my targets (stationary) however I can't designate them unless in expanded mode. In expanded mode ships are not really white but darker images (they are harder to see in contrast) but can still make them out. After I designate them, pressing the TGT doesn't slew the TGP automatically which is a real pain. With recent updates pressing the TGT button now cycles through two other things and I can't find any information on what is does. I can't remember what it's called. maybe TGT, DSB1, DSB2. i JUST remember one and two accurately.

Evolve Art Studio | https://creativevisions.art

10th Mountain Division - 1-87, TF Summit

10 hours ago, RepoManR6 said:

I was wondering about this too. So for me in SEA mode I can find my targets (stationary) however I can't designate them unless in expanded mode. In expanded mode ships are not really white but darker images (they are harder to see in contrast) but can still make them out. After I designate them, pressing the TGT doesn't slew the TGP automatically which is a real pain. With recent updates pressing the TGT button now cycles through two other things and I can't find any information on what is does. I can't remember what it's called. maybe TGT, DSB1, DSB2. i JUST remember one and two accurately.

it supposed to slew the tgp, when you designate anything on the ag radar, but currently it doesnt, but if you cycle thru tgt> oa1>oa2 and back to tgt by pressing tms right short, it will put the tgp to that target point.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, but is the "sea mode" correct or still WIP? 

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

14 hours ago, TEOMOOSE said:

it supposed to slew the tgp, when you designate anything on the ag radar, but currently it doesnt, but if you cycle thru tgt> oa1>oa2 and back to tgt by pressing tms right short, it will put the tgp to that target point.

Thanks for pointing that out! That's kind of weird.

Evolve Art Studio | https://creativevisions.art

10th Mountain Division - 1-87, TF Summit