Seafire - just “because”

rkk01

Surprised by my recent reading, which commented on the Seafire vs the well known and lauded US carrier fighters.

Apparently, even to the end of the war, the Seafire was the best allied carrier borne interceptor - the classic Spitfire role.  This was an important anti-kamikaze role, with the Seafire having much higher acceleration and rate of climb compared to the Hellcat and Corsair

8 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Surprised by my recent reading, which commented on the Seafire vs the well known and lauded US carrier fighters.

Apparently, even to the end of the war, the Seafire was the best allied carrier borne interceptor - the classic Spitfire role.  This was an important anti-kamikaze role, with the Seafire having much higher acceleration and rate of climb compared to the Hellcat and Corsair

That’s what you’d expect though isn’t it, in the ETO the Spitfire was always in an arms race with the BF109 as thoroughbred pure interceptor.

Dedicated carrier planes have concessions making them easier to handle at sea, the Seafire had very little of that making it a highly marginal carrier plane until the later models with more mods. Landing accidents were common, it seems the undercarriage tended to collapse or cause bouncing that caused a miss with the tail hook. Applying the brakes would stand the aircraft on its nose. Accidents were way worse than US types.

• 4 weeks later...

If you download a mod ww2 carrier, it’s possible to already take off and land on them with the existing Spit.  Would be easier if there was a mod to add a hook.

If you want to see how marginal they were on carriers, go read about the being used to support the Greece screw up

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I know there are carrier warbird mods that use the P-51…

But it would be fantastic (and relatively doable..?) for a DCS Seafire or community mod of the Mk.IX…

There are various Seafire skins for the IX, but it does need a hook 😉

• 5 months later...