TrackIR External fighting with camera center

Nealius

With TrackIR external view control enabled, and viewing a camera that auto-centers the object (F2, F3, F6, F7, F9, etc.), the TrackIR vertical axis fights with this auto-centering, and the object "jumps" when passing through the vertical centerpoint of the screen. This does not happen on the horizontal axis. This does not happen in F1 cockpit view, and typically doesn't happen in the free camera views like F11, which rules out an issue with TrackIR curves. 

See attached video and track file demonstrating the behavior in F2 view, F11 view, and F1 view. Note centerpoint jump in F2 view. Note absence of centerpoint jump (but edge jump) in F11 view. Note absence of centerpoint jump in F1 view.

TrackIR.trk

Edited by Nealius

• 6 months later...

Still having this issue. My Opentrack profile does not have a deadzone on the pitch axis. My TrackIR axes in DCS do not have deadzones, curves, or saturation adjustments. I still have this strange deadzone on the vertical centerpoint of the camera, often exacerbated at higher zoom levels.

In case you don't want your headtracker to change the view centering, disable the 'TrackIR external views' feature in the Misc. options.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Have you tried resetting or making a new TrackIR profile?

if it skips in the middle it sounds to me like you have two verticies bunched up near the centerpoint of your TrackIR profile

This shouldn't be a DCS issue, but an issue you have with TrackIR.

Reset your profile, and use the 3D head movement to better understand what's going on here.

You should never have to touch TrackIR in DCS.

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

In case you don't want your headtracker to change the view centering, disable the 'TrackIR external views' feature in the Misc. options.

I want external headtracking without the view centering, as it is in all the DCS cinematics where TrackIR external views are enabled yet there is no view centering. 

2 hours ago, XCNuse said:

This shouldn't be a DCS issue, but an issue you have with TrackIR.

The issue is not seen in OpenTrack nor other sims like MSFS or BMS. It only occurs in DCS.

Okay so do you have a profile that is then linked to DCS, and isn't the same profile that MSFS or BMS use?

Once again I'll say reset your profiles.

Again, this is an issue with your TrackIR profile, not DCS.

14 hours ago, XCNuse said:

Okay so do you have a profile that is then linked to DCS, and isn't the same profile that MSFS or BMS use?

Once again I'll say reset your profiles.

Again, this is an issue with your TrackIR profile, not DCS.

I have six profiles, all reset from zero. They are not linked to any games: Game detection is blank. All six profiles exhibit this behavior on DCS and not on any other sims. The fact that this only occurs in DCS is an indication that there is some issue with its interaction with DCS or DCS itself. Those are the only two conclusions available. I am also not the only one who experiences this with OpenTrack+DCS.

It is not TrackIR. It is OpenTrack.

Edited by Nealius

3 hours ago, Nealius said:

My mistake for not mentioning OpenTrack in the first, post, however all subsequent posts claerly state I am using OpenTrack.

Then you should edit the title of the OP if you can.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

Then you should edit the title of the OP if you can.

Title is referring to the DCS setting specifically named "TrackIR External Views," as the "bug" or whatever it should be called is only evident when that setting is enabled. It's an issue specific to that setting, as clearly stated in the opening post. 

This is slightly frustrating, as no matter how carefully I word things and no matter how much information I give, it feels like respondents are skimming over my text instead of reading it fully.

Edited by Nealius