F-14 and autopilot and A/P ref light

hreich

I am struggling with autopilot for F-14...I am trying to engage autopilot Alt hold...

I am in a stable flight with v/s less than +-200 fpm...I have all sas channels engaged , AP switch and ALT HOLD switch are set to ON..

A/P ref light isn't on...What is correct procedure to activate autopilot alt hold mode...

Sometimes it works, sometimes id doesn't...If i have only AP switch and ALT HOLD switch  set to ON (without presing NWS button) is some sort of autopilot activated? Maybe current attitude hold?

What are parameters to get A/P ref light switched on? 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

Yep, i tried yesterday - it works only partially...I didn't get light to turn of, but i got altitude hold...

Is there altitude some restriction involved - ie, you can't engage alt hold below some altitude?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

28 minutes ago, Caldero said:

Hi

I tried this morning, AP on, ALT on, amber text lights on, I put the tomcat in a stable flight path, vvi less than +/- 200 fpm, NWS press, amber text goes out, AP ALT engaged and working

Regards

When I do this exact procedure at high altitude as soon as I press NWS, Amber light goes out but plane pitches down, exceeds 500ft/min decent, amber light comes back on.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

23 hours ago, _Redwing_ said:

This may be your problem - taken from today's open.beta update log file: 

• Partial fix to AP altitude hold not engaging and holding properly (WIP).

That explains a lot. I wrote a post about it a few days ago and was told I was possibly not "leveled" enough for it to engage.... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't want to engage. I have flown the F14 for quite some time and although I'm no pro, I never had any issue engaging the AP until very recently. Sometimes I'll push the button and the plane will even initiate some sort of movement that I'm used to see when engaging AP, but clearly it doesn't engage completely. Plus the AP Reference light stays ON.

Anyways, glad to know it's not me and it's a new glitch. (although it's not entirely great news either haha)

That being said, I'm not sure how much of a fix this was, cause yesterday after the patch that problem was still very much present.

Edited by Sylosis

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

I just tried using the autopilot at 30k ft and i'm unable to... Every time I activate it (I am able to activate it) it is like it turns into HAL and pushes my nose down at 1,000 fpm despite activating it trimmed at level flight or around +-200 fpm...

Still has issues that needs to be ironed out at high altitudes I think. Also, sometimes I feel like the autopilot is disengaged but the plane still feels like it is engaged when I try to fly it with the stick. 

For high altitude, it's hosed at the moment. It can even be activated outside of the +/- 200 fpm limit again. The last update mentioned, "WIP" so we'll just need to wait for a fix to be applied. Personally, I'm using this to practice trimming a little more. 😁

At higher altitude, a bandaid fix for now is:

1. Disengage Autopilot
  2. Retrim
  3. Reenable Autopilot, AP Vector, AP Altitude Hold, AP Heading Hold, but do not press the AP reference / NWS toggle button.

Or just disable AP, and fly by trim.

Almost seems like the AP isn't self trimming. *shrug*

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, IronMike said:

We're pretty close, so hopefully it will come with the next patch.

Thanks lots and I understand you are also working on the F-4E release 🙂

Edited by scommander2

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

39 minutes ago, scommander2 said:

Thanks lots and I understand you are also working on the F-4E release 🙂

The F-14 AP has top priority currently, but only for the part of the team working on it. Generally these things do not interfere with each other. We almost had it for this patch, but decided to postpone it another cycle as we were not 100% happy with it. Thank you for your kind patience in the meantime!

• Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, sLYFa said:

The new AP is already available in the current open beta built and its fantastic, no more rapid attitude changes on CSS inputs or alt hold.

any step-by-step AP guides out there for the updated AP system you know of? Cause I still can't get mine to work properly (with FFB stick)

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

The AP works basically the same as before but with much better control algorithms underneath. The only new thing is ground track mode. 

There are still issues with FFB though. 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

3 hours ago, sLYFa said:

The AP works basically the same as before but with much better control algorithms underneath. The only new thing is ground track mode. 

There are still issues with FFB though. 

thanks, cause yeah I'm doing things by the book but my ALT AP is doing wonky things with my FFB trim and most definitely not holding an altitude. (sometimes seemingly trimming all the way down)

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

• 1 year later...