Smoke & Particle Effects killing FPS

EcosseFlyer

Hi

I`m guessing this has already been reported before by other users but is there any word yet on improvements to the smoke and particle effects that cause huge FPS drops (for me its 60 to 30).

It makes it impossible to use gun/rocket/cluster munitons runs in any plane, especially bad in the Huey with mini guns.Im primarily a ground pounder and this is pretty much the bread and butter of these modules.

In addition, any vehicle that is burning after damage causes huge drops too, compounded when mission makers place numerous huge smoke stacks across the maps for immersion.

Even allowing us to turn them down/off/reduce the complexity of them in the settings like we can with clouds would help? If im destroying 10+ vehicles in a convoy for example, each burning wreck adds to the slow down.

Its certainly the smoke as when looking elsewhere my FPS is back to fluid 60. I look at the wrecks it drops to 30 (I`m running vsync so thats why it cuts in half. Ive tried no vsync and there is still a terrible lag and stutter when looking at smoke)

Edited by EcosseFlyer
  • Like 2

Wookie

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 3600XT@4.4GHz+ || MSI B450 Tomahawk Max || MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z || 32GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 RAM@3200 || 32" Monitor || Win 10 Home || TM Warthog HOTAS || Logitech ProFlight Pedals || TrackHat Clip || Rift S

Modules: A-10C & A-10C II || KA-50 2 & 3 || FC3 || CA || UH-1H || AV-8B || L-39 || F-86F || F-5 II || Mi-8 || M-2000C || F/A-18 || SA-342 || Super Carrier || F-14A/B || AH-64D

Maps: Caucasus || NTTR || Persian Gulf || Marianas || Syria

• EcosseFlyer changed the title to Smoke & Particle Effects killing FPS
  • 6 months later...

I use current openbeta 2.7, but even with non-beta I had the same problem during my roughly 2-months of playing DCS. I use Su-25T, but the smoke seems to be the issue. Granted, my RX570 8GB is oldish, but normally I have 20-30 FPS which is OK for me. I lowered many details, but I don't know what makes the smoke less dense.

In my case when the smoke is too much, the game freezes with Steam overlay FPS indicator showing anything from 1-5 FPS. The sound goes on, if I was shooting guns, their sound is stuck. I can go to task bar and end the application, in which case it actually switches to DCS with its dialog whether I want to quit and this works. But nothing else does. Except for quitting and sound, the game is totally frozen. GPU runs around 100% at that time.

It always happens with smoke or some similar particle effect in the screen. Happens when I switch to ground unit that is smoking, or when bombs explode, when my plane is on flame, etc.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube