New to KA 50

Synical80

Hey guys I’m new pilot to the black shark and am wondering is there a way to get rid of the trim stuff and fly this baby like a regular chopper? Every time I turn on the flight director she pitches down and I still have to constantly set trim. Thanks in advance

Hey guys I’m new pilot to the black shark and am wondering is there a way to get rid of the trim stuff and fly this baby like a regular chopper? Every time I turn on the flight director she pitches down and I still have to constantly set trim. Thanks in advance
Hold the trim button pressed when you move the stick, and release when you're trimmed.
For the flight director, I used fly it like an airplane and don't trim at all. Not sure idmf that is how one should, but it works for me.
I use an FFB stick though, so it's easier, I know...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Synical80 said:

You ask for the impossible. A 'regular' helicopter (whatever that is) is being trimmed constantly.

If you don't like twhat the flight director in the Blackshark is doing after being turned either a) simply don't switch it off all the time or b) look up or check some yt videos how it's put to good use.

3 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Hold the trim button pressed when you move the stick, and release when you're trimmed.
For the flight director, I used fly it like an airplane and don't trim at all. Not sure idmf that is how one should, but it works for me. emoji2373.png
I use an FFB stick though, so it's easier, I know...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info I seem to fly better with the flight director but find myself having to turn it off when I try to slow down to hover I also have issues with quick turns at slow speeds it just seems jerky. But I’ll try holding down the trim when turning to see if that helps. 

2 hours ago, Rongor said:

You ask for the impossible. A 'regular' helicopter (whatever that is) is being trimmed constantly.

If you don't like twhat the flight director in the Blackshark is doing after being turned either a) simply don't switch it off all the time or b) look up or check some yt videos how it's put to good use.

I have watch some videos but it’s just really twitchy on turns maybe I’m not doing something right.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Synical80 said:

Thanks for the info I seem to fly better with the flight director but find myself having to turn it off when I try to slow down to hover I also have issues with quick turns at slow speeds it just seems jerky. But I’ll try holding down the trim when turning to see if that helps. 

I have watch some videos but it’s just really twitchy on turns maybe I’m not doing something right.

I remember someone telling me that's wrong way to do it but I fly with FD when I need to maneuver.  Even Wags fly with FD on his videos.  I turn it off when I need to hover or cruise.

But Shark is not like other helos.  You just have to get used to the trim stuff.  Once you know and predict how it behaves, you will be able to control it accurately.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

Hello Taz1004,

"I remember someone telling me that's wrong way to do it but I fly with FD when I need to maneuver."

It is not wrong. 🙂

If you use the Flight Director (FD), you will maneuver without the autopilot system, whose channels are switched off, but whose dampers are still working, and without dependant weapon system functions, e.g. 'turn to target', that need the autopilot system.

If you use trim method to maneuver, you will switch off autopilot for the time you shift down the trim button, too. Trim method might be more efficient (faster) in combat, when you need to freely maneuver as well as to use the weapon system, than taking your hand from stick to push the FD button on and off.

Although using trim method has become second nature to me, I often use the FD in situations like nap-of-the-earth (NOE) flying to target area, where I do not expect hostile fire, or when I need permanent 100% control authority, e.g. air acrobatics.  

"But Shark is not like other helos.  You just have to get used to the trim stuff.  Once you know and predict how it behaves, you will be able to control it accurately."

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. 😂

Edited by Fastbreak
  • Like 2

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

Consider the following method:

1. Switch on Pitch, Roll, and Yaw channels, then takeoff. Keep Pitch and Roll activated all the time, until after landing.

2. If you intend to turn your nose while hovering, switch off Yaw channel momentarily, switch on again after achieving the desired heading

3. While doing cruise flights, keep Pitch, Roll and Yaw activated. If you need to adjust heading or speed, press down the trim button and keep it depressed, then steer until you achieved a desired nose-pitch and heading, then release the trim button. Use enroute mode at your own discretion, if you are inbound a PVI-800 navpoint. Keep Altitude channel activated optionally to keep altitude, select baro or radar mode.

4. While doing cruise flights, keep Pitch, Roll and Yaw activated. If you need to adjust speed and or altitude, press down the trim button and keep it depressed, then steer until you achieved a desired nose-pitch and altitude, then release the trim button. Use enroute mode at your own discretion, if you are inbound a PVI-800 navpoint. Keep Altitude channel activated optionally to keep altitude, select baro or radar mode.

5. When you arrived at your destination, keep Pitch, Roll and Yaw activated. Switch on flight director. Deactivate Enroute mode if enabled before. Now maneuver freely adjusting flight attitude, the activated channels will now support your control by dampening out pilot induced oscillations. You have to keep pressure at controls to keep desired attitude. Optionally you can use the trim button to ease the pressure (for example to fly a continuous circle with a stable bank angle). Optionally keep also altitude channel active to have it support you keeping altitude, but don't forget to deactivate it if intending to descend or climb intentionally.

Channels only = most stability in continuous flight profile, profile is defined by the use of the trim button. Helo will actively try to return to the exact defined setting.

Channels with Flightdirector = stability augmentation during flexible flight regime, helo won't fight your inputs but use of trim button may help you keeping a momentary attitude.

Leave the "trim button trims rudder pedals=on"  for this module. It's realistic in this case, as the real Blackshark receives rudder trim at well und doesn't feature a spring loaded pedal setup or twist grip like our home cockpits..

Then of course, this all needs practicing.

Hope this helps, good luck!

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...