Option to have the IPD scale for each module on the Specials tab

Hotdognz

In the special tab the IPD scale sets the size of the cockpit for the planes and also maybe the world scale, this option needs to be available for every aircraft I believe, I base the scale for each plane in VR based on the modules joystick size and my Warthog, I have observed the following for my settings.

F18 60 IPD
F16 63.5 IPD
Gazelle 60 IPD
KA50 Blackshark IPD 67

And so on it goes, whilst this does not seem a large amount trying to keep a medium number like say 62 still results in some cockpits looking way oversize like the K50 for example, having a separate IPD adjustment for each plane on the ideal place for this would be the Special tab where settings for each plane is listed.

Cheers Stephen

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 4

I understand your comment, but it has to be the other way around:

All modules must be scaled properly by ED or 3rd party developers to have real size at one set "IPD/world scale". Common user absolutely shouldn't be forced to fiddle with IPD to, more or less, scale each and every module separately. After buying few modules it would be a big mess.

Remember changing "IPD/world scale" you are changing not only the size of the cockpit, but the whole world around you as well, you would see i.e. some absolutely massive trees in one module or tiny toy soldiers running around in some other.

Proper unified scaling must be obligatory for each developer.

Edited by bies
  • Like 7

On 10/29/2021 at 10:21 AM, bies said:

I understand your comment, but it has to be the other way around:

All modules must be scaled properly by ED or 3rd party developers to have real size at one set "IPD/world scale". Common user absolutely shouldn't be forced to fiddle with IPD to, more or less, scale each and every module separately. After buying few modules it would be a big mess.

Remember changing "IPD/world scale" you are changing not only the size of the cockpit, but the whole world around you as well, you would see i.e. some absolutely massive trees in one module or tiny toy soldiers running around in some other.

Proper unified scaling must be obligatory for each developer.

Exactly.  One would hope that each developer is actually measuring the cockpits as part of the development process.  Cockpits are different sizes IRL.  The Mirage is tiny, the A-10 huge. Going on how big your TM stick is looking is about as unscientific as it gets.  Trust that the devs have got it right, rather than how it 'feels' to the untrained observer.

• Like 3

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

The cockpits are the right size. Your VR settings are screwed up. That should be obvious 🤪

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes, some modules seems to be simply wrong, like Ka50 being massive or the Mirage 2000 too small

• Like 1

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The cockpits are the right size. Your VR settings are screwed up. That should be obvious 🤪

That's not how the VR settings actually work. That's the whole point.

The “explanation” you're inventing in lieu of any actual experience or understanding of the topic is what the solution the OP is proposing would allow — not something the game currently can provide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

16 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

You obviously have no idea how VR works, we have no option to adjust our scale settings out side of DCS that I know off.

Whilst it would be great to get devs to adjust the size of the existing modules to be the correct size, that in it self would be an enormous amount of work I would have thought, the existing IPD scale works and would be well suited to adding to each module individually, and would be a lot easier to code in as it all ready exsists and would be a quick and simple solution to the issue.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hotdognz said:

Whilst it would be great to get devs to adjust the size of the existing modules to be the correct size

I’m sure the models are the correct size. Your request is kinda ridiculous.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

I’m sure the models are the correct size.

Based on what?

Your request is kinda ridiclous.

How is it ridiculous to ask that cockpits appear at the right sizes, and if it's too much work for the developers, to offer an option to fix that on a per-module basis? You're not really offering anything in the way of argumentation here, which is pretty ridiculous in and of itself seeing as how you've shown that you have no idea what the issue even is. So your basis for evaluating what is and isn't ridiculous, and your opinion on the topic, are pretty much null and void.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

59 minutes ago, Dave317 said:

I don't think it's ridiculous.  Some of the cockpits and pilot models feel like they should be different sizes.  Sounds like a good idea to me.

And you know this because you’ve sat in the real cockpits? The very nature of the IPD setting is that it would be unique to the headset and consistent across all the apps you use. 

Just now, SharpeXB said:

And you know this because you’ve sat in the real cockpits? The very nature of the IPD setting is that it would be unique to the headset and consistent across all the apps you use. 

No, that's not how the VR settings work. The very nature of the IPD setting is that it would be different depending on the game's internal intended scale, even as — and especially if — the headset (mechanical) IPD is consistent across all apps… but that is still not consistent or unique since it depends on the user. Again, please read up before trying to invent this kind of nonsense in your quest to keep the game unrealistic and bad-looking.

And you should be asking yourself the same question: how can you be “sure” that the cockpits are the right size when you've never seen them IRL or in VR and thus have zero points of reference compared to the VR users who at least have one?

• Like 1

A couple yes.   I also know how big my legs and arms are. 

1 hour ago, Dave317 said:

A couple yes.   I also know how big my legs and arms are. 

Then you’ve got a topic for a bug report. But adjusting the IPD constantly is a ridiculous solution. Once you’ve set this on the HMD, unless you’re switching users there would be no reason to ever change the setting. Unless your head changes size…

And your own arms and legs could be a different size than the pilot model. So not a good way of determining the scale. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Then you’ve got a topic for a bug report. But adjusting the IPD constantly is a ridiculous solution.

Exactly. So presumably, you're for this solution that avoids that?

Once you’ve set this on the HMD, unless you’re switching users there would be no reason to ever change the setting.

Yes there is: if the in-game scale is wrong. That's why games have that setting: because they presume a specific scale for the person wearing the headset, and they presume that the person has their headset set up in a specific way, and most importantly: they allow each user to have user-specific settings for each game. Just relying on the headset only works if exactly everything is always right and always equal, but the fact on the matter is that they're not.

What looks like the right size of a person for you will not look like the right size of a person for me, because we're not the same person. What IPD works in one game for one user does not work for a different game and a different users, because [drum-roll] they're different users and different games. This is why even such backwards OSes as Windows allow each user to store their settings separately and why games allow their settings to be stored on a per-user level.

And your own arms and legs could be a different size than the pilot model. So not a good way of determining the scale.

...but it is a very good way to determine whether the size matches you and how you see the world. That's why DCS has an IPD setting to make things match up properly. It has this for the very good reasons listed above. What it doesn't have is module-specific IPDs that can be used to fix any perceived incorrect scales between the modules, which necessitates constantly adjustments of IPD. You know, the thing you started out saying was a ridiculous solution.

So even though you have no idea how VR works, having never actually used it, and even though you don't have any point of reference for either in-game or real-world scale, and even though you previously thought the proposed idea was ridiculous, we can only conclude that you now support it for some unfathomable and incoherent reason?!

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I’m sure the models are the correct size. Your request is kinda ridiculous.

ED admitted themselves that they got the Stennis size wrong and corrected it.

And it's not just physical dimension.  For a long time, people raised doubts on Blackshark scale in VR but others kept saying it's physical scale is correct.  But few patches ago around when 2.7 was released, ED corrected the camera focal length of Blackshark and that changed/fixed the scale.  If they have incorrect camera focal length, then it's like viewing with reading glasses on.  Everything looks big or vice versa.

27 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

ED admitted themselves that they got the Stennis size wrong and corrected it.

And it's not just physical dimension.  For a long time, people raised doubts on Blackshark scale in VR but others kept saying it's physical scale is correct.  But few patches ago around when 2.7 was released, ED corrected the camera focal length of Blackshark and that changed/fixed the scale.  If they have incorrect camera focal length, then it's like viewing with reading glasses on.  Everything looks big or vice versa.

Well just add that to the list of VR’s problems… in any case it’s probably not the size of the 3D model. It’s likely an issue with the headset or user. 

Edited by SharpeXB

21 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

It’s likely an issue with the headset or user.

It literally can't be. That's the entire reason why the setting exists to begin with: to adjust for the headset and the user, since it can't be done the other way around.

And even if that weren't true, it wouldn't be likely anyway since we already know for a fact that they've gotten dimensions wrong, so that's the most obvious and first thing to suspect. Again, just because you do not use VR and are not familiar with how it works doesn't mean that it's automatically the VR user's fault and that the developer has done -- and can do -- nothing about it. Especially not with the history consistently showing it being the other way around. Wilful ignorance is not a good basis for your assumptions about what's going on here.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Well just add that to the list of VR’s problems… in any case it’s probably not the size of the 3D model. It’s likely an issue with the headset or user. 

Not likely.  If it was headset or user, problem should occur on all modules.  The point of this "Wish list" item was that it is not.

• Like 1

SharpeXB

This is a s a Wishlist thread if im not mistaken not a debate about VR, your adding nothing to this conversation so maybe you should just keep your comments about this to yourself, if it was implemented you would have no reason to use it so it would not affect you and you would ignore this option.

It affects me, I have no issues with VR scale in other sims just some modules in DCS and I would like a simple solution to fix that issue for me and maybe lots of other users, your really just wasting our time by adding nothing of value here.

Edited by Hotdognz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hotdognz said:

This is a s a Wishlist thread

If this is an actual problem it should belong in the bug reports… really. 

If this is an actual problem it should belong in the bug reports… really. 

It's not a bug. Really.

It's just an option related to a part of the game that you have on multiple occasions stated that you have no familiarity with.

Stop trolling threads where your assumptions are wrong and your opinions are worthlessly based on wilful ignorance.

• Like 1