6900XT vs 3080TI, no debate

Hi guys

I just changed from 6900XT to 3080Ti because of FPS problem in VR for DCS, and I make the good choice I think.

Here are my results, with @speed-of-heat track, DCS 2.7.7 OB and no mod, no FSR, no shaders, no mirrors :

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar2cEt5yMycgm6skZyUPKfQMjm4mKw?e=so7zI5

and settings under DCS 2d and VR :

image.png image.png

image.png

So 3080Ti is about 40% more powerful than 6900XT under DCS.

I have Win 10, 8600k@5.1Ghz, 32GB of DDR4 XMP

I want to add that my 6900XT made extremly good results under benchmarks like 3dmark, superposition, Heaven. I think the card isn't the problem.

If it can help some people to choose their GPU 🙂*

PS : I post this twice in VR and PC forum

Have a nice day

Edited by dureiken
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There's so much that governs what works best on a system. Just out of curiosity I used your settings (except I had to choose 3200x1800 resolution, so a bit higher than what you had - I guess you have an ultrawide?) with a 6800XT (a lower card) and using that track file I get minimum 50fps, maximum 96fps with a mean of 68fps. I'm on Windows 11 and I do have smart access memory enabled (Ryzen 3600X @ 3950MHz, 32GB ram at 3666MHz). I have no other cards to compare against of course! No doubt a 6900XT would be better and I guess a 3090Ti too, but maybe my system favours Radeon cards for some reason? Who knows!?

P.S. What did you use to log the FPS? I just got the Radeon software to log it but if there's something better I'd like to try that.

Edited by netizensmith
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 12:12 PM, dureiken said:

f it can help some people to choose their GPU 🙂*

I really like your effort, but to draw that conclusion you have to provide way more information. What are the specs of your system? Win? Driver Version?
I had a look into your mission file and theres pretty much nothing in it - the FPS on the AMD seem to low.

Awesome that the nvidia runs on your system way better - but i doubt that its such a difference in general.

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

I have the G1 headset as well so I tried the vr settings too but amd recorded an empty file so no definitive results available to put here in terms of numbers. Similar results in general to the 2d though. At the lowest setting I wasn’t even needing reprojection as I was getting sub 10ms gpu frametimes.

I agree knowing the specs on the rest of his system would be useful. However, I own a 6800xt and I have used a 3080 and a 3080ti when installing them in systems for friends. In almost every game I tested including other flight sims the difference between the Nvidia and AMD GPU's performance reflects what is seen in popular and reliable review sites. Thats using a recent 6 core or more Intel or AMD based system. It makes no difference.

In DCS though there is a big difference, Nvidia is clearly better. My 6800xt should be better than a 3080, its not, the 3080 is ahead. The 3080ti even more so. If you look at Point Blanks videos on Youtube, same results. It could be the larger memory bandwidth. I dont know. It would explain why DCS requires such a leap in GPU power when going up in resolution, ie, 4k. As I have put in other posts getting DCS to run a solid 60fps at 4k is a pig. 

I dont have a massive game library to compare all this I admit. Something about the DCS game engine performs better on Nvidia at the moment! I'm not in a position to swap my 6800xt at the moment. Plus it performs equally to Nvidia in every other game I own. I'll wait and see if any updates such as Vulkan makes a change in DCS.

• Like 2

Your trying to convince Ford guys a Chevy is better.  It will never happen….

Even if the Chevy is better 🤣

• Like 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

7 hours ago, JayRoc said:

I really like your effort, but to draw that conclusion you have to provide way more information. What are the specs of your system? Win? Driver Version?
I had a look into your mission file and theres pretty much nothing in it - the FPS on the AMD seem to low.

Awesome that the nvidia runs on your system way better - but i doubt that its such a difference in general.

I have Win 10, 8600k@5.1Ghz, 32GB of DDR4 XMP

And the mission file is the one from speed of heat.

9 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

I agree knowing the specs on the rest of his system would be useful. However, I own a 6800xt and I have used a 3080 and a 3080ti when installing them in systems for friends. In almost every game I tested including other flight sims the difference between the Nvidia and AMD GPU's performance reflects what is seen in popular and reliable review sites. Thats using a recent 6 core or more Intel or AMD based system. It makes no difference.

In DCS though there is a big difference, Nvidia is clearly better. My 6800xt should be better than a 3080, its not, the 3080 is ahead. The 3080ti even more so. If you look at Point Blanks videos on Youtube, same results. It could be the larger memory bandwidth. I dont know. It would explain why DCS requires such a leap in GPU power when going up in resolution, ie, 4k. As I have put in other posts getting DCS to run a solid 60fps at 4k is a pig. 

I dont have a massive game library to compare all this I admit. Something about the DCS game engine performs better on Nvidia at the moment! I'm not in a position to swap my 6800xt at the moment. Plus it performs equally to Nvidia in every other game I own. I'll wait and see if any updates such as Vulkan makes a change in DCS.

Well that's a shame. Hopefully Vulkan etc. will give AMD users some better performance. I'm more than happy with my 6800XT and wouldn't buy nVidia anyway but it's still annoying to know the 3080 is better for DCS!

Hi Netizensmith,

Yeah just so I dont confuse anyone. A mate of mine bought a 3080 about the same time I bought my 6800xt. In exchange for fitting it for him and setting up the drivers etc. I tested it in my own system and it was slightly better in DCS over my 6800xt. Rough figures my 6800xt peaked around 75fps the 3080 78fps. I use Vsync 60fps so I thought what the hell!

Same guy bought a 3080ti recently and again I got to check it out in my system. It was much better than my 6800xt, with vsync disabled so I could see how much. 90-95fps vs 70-75fps. The other thing my 6800xt will struggle if MSAA is used at 4k. The 3080ti didn't still managed high 70's

Other games, Sniper Elite, Battlefield 5, Sturmovik, were all fairly even checked on a quick test as I was mostly focusing on DCS and he wanted to take his system home.

• Like 1

Yeah to put this one into perspective if you are like me and use a 4k monitor, you will probably use vsync @ 60fps. Also at 4k it's my opinion but anti aliasing is not really important anymore. I've used these card this year and know a 2080ti, 6800xt and a 3080 can do this very very well on high settings with SSAO and max trees/clutter. 

What sets the 3080ti apart is I could do a quick test with 4x MSAA enabled and fly downtown over Dubai in a F-16. The other difference I should include is that using a watt meter I noticed the system pulling nearly 500w to do this. Temps were higher too but not at their limit. My system with the 6800xt uses about 260-300 watts without any anti aliasing.

In the UK the 3080ti is roughly a £400 premium over a 6800xt too.

I Just really wanted to backup the OPs point that DCS seems to favour Nvidia GPUs in the FPS race. However if your using vsync or similar for VR. Does it matter?

I owned an RX 6800 XT and now have a RTX 3080. I run 3 screens at 7680 x 1440 and the high resolution is something the AMD card does not like. The Nvidia beats the AMD card by appr. 50%. The specs are in my sig.

Edited by xoxen
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

9 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

HI Xoxen,

I'm curious mate, did you find the same in other games or is that just DCS? My 6800xt is fine at 4k native resolution with my other games, its DCS that makes it reach its limit but only when I am running native 4k resolution.

Hi Bossco82,

I did not test other games with triples, so my knowledge is for 1440p. There both cards are comparable with slight advantage of the 3080. If you have a look here (link), you can see comparisons of 3x 1080p and 3x 1440p with different settings.

Overall I can say I was very satisfied with the AMD card but not in DCS and triples. As I´m playing DCS (nearly) exclusively, I needed to go the other way. Based on all of my observations the AMD card is good up to 4K and then the gap becomes larger. Most probably related to the VRAM speed and connection. Someone in another thread mentioned something like this.

Edited by xoxen
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

Thanks for the reply Xoxen.

I found pretty much identical. I am really impressed with the new AMD stuff. I had a 3700x cpu and a 5700xt gpu before and the step up to what AMD produced in 2020 is tremendous. I went from a 2080ti to my 6800xt and in every other game, IL-2, Battlefield 5, Sniper Elite 4, Call of Duty WW2 and Project Cars. The 6800xt was better than my 2080ti, better than the 3080 I tested which was EVGA and comparable to the 3080ti I tested also EVGA. In DCS though and only DCS Nvidia card have a definite advantage especially handling MSAA.

Until I saw posts from yourself and Pointblanks videos on Yotube. The difference is so obvious when you have both I thought I had an installation error or something. It would be nice to know for certain what causes such a difference. Just to settle the curiosity. 

Hi Bossco82,

I am of the opinion that this will improve over time as AMD is known for getting more performance out of existing hardware as a result of better driver support. I always had Nvidia but read, that this was the case for the 5x00 series as well. If I read anything which could help to feed your curiosity I will let you know.

I simply was too impatient to wait for it.

Edit: And maybe Vulcan will bring even better support. But also here I was too impatient.

Edited by xoxen

Hi VitS,

Thanks for checking that for me, actually really helpful. I was curious as to whether its shader core count or memory bandwidth that causes the limit for me personally at 4k.

Compared to my 6800xt at 3840x2160 I get 55-65fps same settings and mission. That difference has got to be caused by the resolution increase. 

Edited by Bossco82