GPU not working full

X_legio

Hi.

The problem is, that once below 45 Im out of motion reprojection and everything gets a bit jittery. So its actually a visible difference between 40 and 45fps, especially when looking to the side.

And if the GPU were maxed all the time, Id be much less often below those 45fps. Actually with my current low settings only being low should drop the fps below 45fps.

Looking at my pic from before, one can see, that in that situation even I have GPU-frametimes of ~15, that should result in someting like 60fps, I actually only have 35fps, hence no motion reprojection and a jittery image...  

41 minutes ago, Wali763 said:

Hi.

The problem is, that once below 45 Im out of motion reprojection and everything gets a bit jittery. So its actually a visible difference between 40 and 45fps, especially when looking to the side.

And if the GPU were maxed all the time, Id be much less often below those 45fps. Actually with my current low settings only being low should drop the fps below 45fps.

Looking at my pic from before, one can see, that in that situation even I have GPU-frametimes of ~15, that should result in someting like 60fps, I actually only have 35fps, hence no motion reprojection and a jittery image...  

Try running the headset in 60hz mode, gives you a much lower minimum threshold and motion smoothing keeps doing it's thing perfectly down till about 33fps/30ms.  You may see a slight refresh rate flicker when you immediately switch from 90 to 60 but your eyes should adjust, I never saw it after about 10 minutes.  Anything below 16ms is obviously buttery smooth as you're beating refresh rate, generally my cpu get's saturated by AI before my gpu; I will have 14ms frametime but still be motion smoothing to 30fps because the cpu is running at 18ms.  Running the G2 @100% with openvrfsr @0.7 with speed of heat's clearwater shader mod only.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hi.

Thx for the advice. Running at 60fps makes (in my case) for a more pleasent ride. But my overall problem still exists.

Even my CPU and GPU frametimes are low (eg 10ms CPU and 15ms GPU) I have drops below 45fps when in 90hz-mode with GPU-utilization only at eg 70%.. Had the same with 60Hz using a bit higher video settings.

To my understanding when in motion reprojection, if the GPU is able to render 45fps, it will "stop" there, so there might be lower GPU-utilization. But once below the 45fps the GPU should work at ~100% to get as many fps as possible, if the CPU is able to keep up, which in my case it is. Still I often have 35fps AND 70% GPU-utilization. The CPU cant be the bottleneck, since as stated before I usually have around 10-15ms CPU-frametimes (in normal situations) and in my understanding everyting up to ~22ms CPU-frametimes should not bottleneck the GPU.

With 60fps its the same, but the GPU-frametimes are different since I then increased the videosettings.

Is there another potential bottleneck, that could restrain my system?

Could a damaged cable to the headset (audio often has dissconections, so video could be problematic too) be the reason? 

Thx

My 3070 generally sits about 85-90%, getting around 13-22ms on mostly high settings on syria.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Thx for your input. I also tested this with another game and also my GPU was not maxed most of the time. But since this affects also Nvidia-GPUs its probably not an AMD-thing, but more likely the  implementation of VR in DCS or VR in general.

Still this raised the question for me, what an GPU-upgrade in VR is worth? Spending an extra 800e (over the resale-value of my current 6700) to have the new GPU run at 75% on average with still mediocre settings (compard to my monitor-settings right now) does not make any sense to me.

Anyway, I guess I will have to accept this. Which actually isnt a real problem, since Im still mostly on Monitor/TrackIR and will stay there until the next gen of headsets comes along. Too much tweaking to get a still poor result for me.

I think until the multicore update to the engine comes round, the VR side of things are going to struggle to fully utilize the hardware. With VR in DCS as long as it's smooth and acceptable visual quality then don't go chasing framerates and accept that for now that you're not going to get 90fps.

Youre probably right about the multicore-support.

I did some more tests, which in DCS are sometimes pretty hard, since if you change someting, it often will not get applied after the restart. Cleaning FXO and METASHADER did not help me in the past too often, so I dont use it.

What I found was, when going to "force DX11" my GPU-usage went up to 95-98% (which means 50-70fps with my lowish settings), so where it is supposed to be. But turning on motionvector again, this changed. Of course the GPU was not fully utilized when the cap of 45fps was reached, but also below 45fps utilizations was not maxed. Still the drops were not as bad as in DX12.

But since DX11 is visibly blurrier, I dont want to use it.

Going back to DX12 with no motionvector, I often had drops below 30fps und GPU-utilizations sometimes briefly down to 25%. For the most part I had 70-80%.

These findings to me seem to point the finger towards DCS and its somehow imperfect (some might say poor) implementation of VR. Since other people with 3070s also have this sitiuation at least does not support my thoghts, that it might be related to AMD-hardware. I just think (as this was mentioned often before by better informed people than me) that VR-DCS cant use some hardware to its full potential.

Maybe people with 3090, that have a higher bandwith and more computeunits, dont witniss this problem. But Im not willing to pay the prices asked for those GPUs.

So for me in the end its simple. Ill stay in 2D until the new engine (Vulcan) maybe can cure some of the problems DCS has in VR and will use my Reberb only for occasional jumps into VR in DCS.

Also putting my hopes into the upcoming (dont know when though)  Valve-headset. I saw a video, where it was mentioned, that Valve work on split rendering, which could mean, that the headset with its own chip, could support the GPU, which again could mean, that finally higher fps (monitorlike settings) in DCs-VR could be possible.  

Edited by Wali763