Roadmap for the Supercarrier?

Stearmandriver

I think a fair guess is that they don't know themselves...The last 2 years have been the hardest for business, for staff, for everyone in a long time. The hurdles that it's created and unknowns as to what the next 12 months hold could make it extremely difficult to be able to state 6 months or 3 years away.
We've also seen how the community turns ETA's around and can be less than patient if estimates aren't reached, so all these factors combined - it makes sense for ED to release no information at all until it's actually ready. 
Sucks for us who aren't bitter, are patient and only would love some sort of non-obligated guesses as to when - even them guessing probably just opens up more problems, so I think they're making the wise decision by being tight lipped. 

I agree. I understand the frustration, but if more were as eloquent as you, all of us might benefit from potentially added info.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

I think a fair guess is that they don't know themselves...The last 2 years have been the hardest for business, for staff, for everyone in a long time. The hurdles that it's created and unknowns as to what the next 12 months hold could make it extremely difficult to be able to state 6 months or 3 years away.

We've also seen how the community turns ETA's around and can be less than patient if estimates aren't reached, so all these factors combined - it makes sense for ED to release no information at all until it's actually ready. 

Sucks for us who aren't bitter, are patient and only would love some sort of non-obligated guesses as to when - even them guessing probably just opens up more problems, so I think they're making the wise decision by being tight lipped. 

Oh I think that's fully possible; likely even.  It's completely understandable. 

It's also not a difficult thing to communicate. 😉

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 8:12 AM, BIGNEWY said:

We have told you all many times, supercarrier work is ongoing, it is bringing new features to DCS and it will take time.

Early access features of DCS: Supercarrier include:

I think its important to remember that "Early Access" isn't an excuse in and of itself.

Customers don't buy a product in Early Access to be able to utilise it in that state...they purchase it on the understanding that it WILL be completed within a reasonable timeframe.

Its not "You purchased it in an Early Access and you got what you paid for" we DIDN'T we PAID for a module early (thereby giving ED funds at a sooner date than product release date) in the expectation that ED would fulfill their promise to move the module to RELEASE state...

Yet instead we've seen countless other modules flipped out to Early Release (and more to come) with increasing little or no move towards completion of the EA modules. Each additional EA module creating an ever greater "development deficit" of work that needs to be completed but for which there is less revenue expected (as ED have already banked the EA purchases)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Airbag_signatur.png

Just seems to me like no one at ED really wants to tackle the SC anymore, I guess devs have perhaps the more pressing matter of fixing core game bugs or working on other new modules or DCS features which would be more interesting to work on I could guess. 

I mean, it doesn't seem really surprising to me, as a personal comparison, when I work on a coding project, there are the exciting parts and the boring parts (to me, the exciting parts being the main core classes and functions that run the program and the boring parts, everything else, mainly everything front end related). When something is boring I usually always delay that thing to the point I'm feature creeping the main program with interesting features to work on while delaying some obvious but boring things to work on. 

I've had the same impression with the a10cII radio that was promised but not yet released in well over a year of waiting, yes it is just a simple radio, but I guess it ain't the hot new item devs want to be tackling right now just as the SC ain't the hot new thing anymore. 

At the end of the day, who am I to be conspiring on what is happening inside ED's headquarters, their business, they run it they way they chose. Still, the early access excuse is slowly but surely becoming harder to swallow, for the SC, small and obvious fixes would've been expected to come out fast but they actually didn't. On the other hand the early access period has been much more dynamic on other bigger modules such as the fa18 and f16, regarding bug fixes and feature updates. Idk, perhaps all EA's are equal, but some do seem more equal than other. 

(I mean come on, not to change the subject but the a10cII arc210 is being waited on for more than a year now and is the only "big" new feature that needs to be added while the f16 has absolutely been killing it for the past few months with the updates) 

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

• ED Team

I can not keep repeating myself here. 

Work is on going with the supercarrier, it is just taking time with new features. 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
10 hours ago, jasonbirder said:

Customers don't buy a product in Early Access to be able to utilise it in that state...they purchase it on the understanding that it WILL be completed within a reasonable timeframe.

Is that a reasonable time frame set by you? If you are setting your own timeframe with no knowledge of the workload, or the challenges being faced by a team you are going to be dissapointed.

1 minute ago, toni said:

No matter how long, do you have in mind  some new Carrier module itself ?

work is ongoing now for 

• Air Boss station.
  • Briefing room.
  • "Burble" effect.
  • Wave off and bolter return to pattern radio messages.
  • Functional barricade net. 
    and more.
  • Like 5

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, draconus said:

Are there night wands somewhere wip?

yes

• Thanks 6

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Is that a reasonable time frame set by you? If you are setting your own timeframe with no knowledge of the workload, or the challenges being faced by a team you are going to be dissapointed.

As a customer who has purchased Early Access modules (Remember its NOT a FAVOUR from ED "allowing us to get "early access" its a transaction in which ED get substantive funds for an unfinished product TOO)

Surely the ONUS is on ED/Community managers to communicate that Timescale to the customers...not for ME to "guess" !

Most people would not consider YEARS with little movement, little communication and no roadmap/timetable reasonable...and so if it reaches that point surely an indication of planned activity and proposed timetables is a far, far better response than "yeah, it'll come when it comes...whatever"

My fear is this - I've bought the F/A18C Early Access, the Super Carrier Early Access, the A10C2 Early access one thing I've NEVER seen is an Early ACCESS module completed.

• Like 6

Airbag_signatur.png

• ED Team
8 minutes ago, jasonbirder said:

As a customer who has purchased Early Access modules (Remember its NOT a FAVOUR from ED "allowing us to get "early access" its a transaction in which ED get substantive funds for an unfinished product TOO)

Surely the ONUS is on ED/Community managers to communicate that Timescale to the customers...not for ME to "guess" !

Most people would not consider YEARS with little movement, little communication and no roadmap/timetable reasonable...and so if it reaches that point surely an indication of planned activity and proposed timetables is a far, far better response than "yeah, it'll come when it comes...whatever"

My fear is this - I've bought the F/A18C Early Access, the Super Carrier Early Access, the A10C2 Early access one thing I've NEVER seen is an Early ACCESS module completed.

We do tell you, early access can take a long time, years, you know this, you have been around these forums for a while now, it should be no surprise to you. These projects are years in planning and development, without early access you would not see these modules at all. 

As for not completing early access, go to the store page, all early access modules are marked as such, the ones that are not marked have already left early access and been completed. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

As for not completing early access, go to the store page, all early access modules are marked as such, the ones that are not marked have already left early access and been completed. 

Ah...I was about to say that for ED itself there are NO modern fixed wing jets (you know...the CORE of ED) out of Early Access barring the original A10C (released on Disk and no longer for sale) and the F5E (Originally released by Beltimsek)

BUT somehow ED has decided the DCS A10C 2 IS out of early access (despite the obvious omission) so I guess you CAN say hand on contractual agreement if not on Heart that you HAVE moved at least ONE module from Early ACCESS to Completed!!!

• Like 1

Airbag_signatur.png

• ED Team
27 minutes ago, jasonbirder said:

Ah...I was about to say that for ED itself there are NO modern fixed wing jets (you know...the CORE of ED) out of Early Access barring the original A10C (released on Disk and no longer for sale) and the F5E (Originally released by Beltimsek)

BUT somehow ED has decided the DCS A10C 2 IS out of early access (despite the obvious omission) so I guess you CAN say hand on contractual agreement if not on Heart that you HAVE moved at least ONE module from Early ACCESS to Completed!!!

The A-10C II was not in early access, it is an upgrade to the original A-10C which is also included in the A-10C II purchase, obviously you are not happy and you want to argue about what early access is and isnt, but we are getting off topic now, feel free to PM me if you want to continue this. 

thanks

• Like 3

Can you speak to where bug fixes might be in the priority table for the SC?  The Bugs section here is riddled with reports that seem to go unacknowledged by ED; things like multiple Tomcats not being able to spawn without blowing things up, AI aircraft getting stuck on a cat for the whole mission (on a waist cat, fouling the deck for all recovering aircraft), etc.  Are/will these things be fixed before new features are added? 

Thanks...

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, jasonbirder said:

32 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

We do tell you, early access can take a long time, years, you know this, you have been around these forums for a while now, it should be no surprise to you. These projects are years in planning and development, without early access you would not see these modules at all. 

Well the major problem with all this is: You are both right 🤷‍♂️😀

EA is the only way to get the money to keep the wheel spinning. Also this wheel needs more and more money in cause of more demanding customers. And yes for sure, I am one of them.

It is as everywhere and always about the little things. 

I mean it would be such a great surprise and I bet the community would be thankful when there suddenly something like night wands (as an example) would appear in the next update.

The "shut the front door, holy moly, nice, finally!" posts would be endless. Just for that.

You really got the picture BN. The Air Boss station and briefing room are not really what the majority is waiting for. They are nice and cool, no doubt great to have. But not the big thing of importance right now. Then there is the response with the greater plan behind them and they are something like the basement for further upcoming things.
Ok I buy that, all fine. I believe you.

But still with my non coder, no knowledge about what is going on behind the scenes - uneducated guess: Night wands cannot be dependent on these major features that are shown in the list. And they are so important and heavily needed for the daily gameplay.

Super Carrier module owners (yes granted, counts of course for all modules) really need another candy drop every now and then, then topics like this wouldn't be so consistent.

Not publishing every new info immediately to the community is totally right in cause of the danger of the potential blame if things don't work as intended, but I wish you CM's would have a bit more freedom of what you are allowed to tell us. Decision makers would make our all and their lives so much easier.

But this counts for every Developer.

• Like 5

BIGNEWY, once again, while the team work on core features that don't exist at the time and require research, development, testing etc (and that SUPERB! Keep up the hard work), there are many "low hanging fruits" that are easy to accomplish (some was done by external users as mods) - and we as SC users would really appreciate to became an integral part of the module. 

Again, as a quick example - In the near future you plan to integrate the dynamic weather - meaning the wind will change every few hours or so. You'd have to create a feature for the SC to turn into the wind or otherwise it will be extremally hard to land on the boat... So creating a quick F10 command to simply make the boat to turn into the wind - should be easy. It would be nice to have now, it would help in MP and SP.

Why don't you guys make a poll asking what people would like most and priorities accordingly? It worked with the F18/16... 

Thanks. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

work is ongoing now for 

• Air Boss station.
  • Briefing room.
  • "Burble" effect.
  • Wave off and bolter return to pattern radio messages.
  • Functional barricade net. 
    and more.

Thanks BIGNEWY for addressing this thread.  Coming from a flight sim that required a monthly monetary subscription and has not had a meaningful update in YEARS, I appreciate ED and the third party developers efforts.  By comparison to that flight sim, ED is moving at light speed.  If the SC you gave us didn't have such great features already, we wouldn't be clamoring for more.

Hang in there!

• Thanks 1

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

1 hour ago, nickos86 said:

So creating a quick F10 command to simply make the boat to turn into the wind - should be easy.

Pilot can just call inbound and it would be up to the ship boss/captain when and how he allows you to land. Otherwise player pilot asking for carrier turns is unrealistic. CA integrated ship command could work like that however.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

2 hours ago, draconus said:

Pilot can just call inbound and it would be up to the ship boss/captain when and how he allows you to land. Otherwise player pilot asking for carrier turns is unrealistic. CA integrated ship command could work like that however.

The mission editor and the game itself should support the carrier turning into the wind on it's own via a WP command. It's unrealistic to expect anything like cyclic ops to be a part of this module, so including those features (even though they are not 100% realistic) is a very welcome addition.

Edited by BarTzi
  • Like 5

On 12/28/2021 at 5:12 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Les hemos dicho a todos muchas veces, el trabajo de superportadoras está en curso, está trayendo nuevas funciones a DCS y llevará tiempo. 

Agradezco que algunos de ustedes sientan que el tiempo es demasiado largo pero es lo que es, el trabajo es complejo y tenemos que seguir siendo pacientes. 

Gracias

todo lo que necesita saber está en la página del producto 

Las funciones de acceso anticipado de DCS: Supercarrier incluyen:

• Modelo poligonal muy detallado con texturas de alta resolución que incluyen marcas y meteorización realistas.
  • Animaciones que incluyen cables de detención, deflectores de chorro de chorro (JBD), antenas de radar, elevadores de aviones, burbuja de catapulta entre las catapultas 1 y 2, vapor de las catapultas y elevadores (barandillas) alrededor de los elevadores de aviones cuando se bajan.
  • Sistemas de iluminación detallados que incluyen luces de línea de largo alcance, IFLOLS, "luces de conejo" animadas a lo largo de la línea central del área de aterrizaje, iluminación de la cubierta, focos y número de barco en la isla.
  • Sistemas funcionales de armas de defensa aérea que incluyen Sea Sparrow, CIWS y SeaRAM.
  • Estacionamiento en cubierta que permite el desove de hasta 14 aviones en cubierta.
  • Comunicaciones de radio portadoras dinámicas para recuperaciones de los casos I, II y III.
  • Vehículos de cubierta estática (tractor de cubierta de vuelo AS32A-31A, tractor de cubierta de hangar AS32A-32A, grúa de salvamento y accidente de aeronave AS32A-36, vehículo de extinción de incendios P-25) que pueden ser colocados por los diseñadores de la misión.
  • Tripulación de cubierta animada para lanzamientos de catapultas de proa y cintura.
  • Tripulación de cubierta estática que pueden colocar los diseñadores de misiones.

Durante el período de acceso anticipado, se agregarán las siguientes características adicionales:

• Estación Air Boss.
  • Sala de prensa.
  • Ocupa la estación del oficial de señales de aterrizaje (LSO) con la cámara PLAT, incluido el soporte de realidad virtual.
  • Más interacciones de la estación LSO.
  • Integración de armas combinadas.
  • Efecto "Burble".
  • Salude y bólter vuelva a los mensajes de radio de patrón.
  • Red de barricada funcional.

cueck, thanks

Edited by Huilque151

On 1/2/2022 at 8:15 AM, draconus said:

Turning into the wind at the inbound call would work as a general fix, but there should also be a mission editor trigger to turn into the wind, that way milsim groups can command the carrier to turn into the wind at specific times (cyclic ops event windows) - right now with wind that doesn't change we can just tell it to turn into a specific heading, but when dynamic weather is implemented we would need a "turn into wind" function in the editor or otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.