Realsimulator's RS-F35 Throttle First Impressions

Supmua

First Impressions: Realsimulator's RS-F35 throttle
RST.jpg.97173bd63cd557c4d99dba16653e7420.jpg
The RS-F35 throttle is a replica of the F-35 throttle from Realsimulator, and I'm quite lucky and honored to be able to check out the pre-release version recently.  So I want to give some early impressions after having used it for the past few days, for people who might be interested.

The throttle is not a true 1:1 replica but slightly modified to accommodate home users, especially VR users who may want to bind extra buttons that are difficult to reach in VR, so it actually has much more functionality than the real thing.  The throttle base is meant to be the counterpart of the FSSB R3L joystick base, which means that it will accept multiple different grips in the future.  So this is a long-lasting device by design that will be able to pair with future grips from the company.

There is not much to say about the build-quality from a Realsimulator device, it is premium.  The throttle base is metal (Aluminum) and it is thick, solid and heavy (unlike flimsy thin aluminum seen in other devices), probably heavier than the Warthog throttle, which means it won't move when you plop it down on the surface.  The grip itself is made of high-density resin, and no visible seams can be seen on the device.  The switches are not milspecs, but are just fine for home use.

The F-35 throttle grip has very organic appearance and is quite comfortable to hold and operate.  The original already has crazy amount of buttons and switches, but RS goes a step further to provide more to accommodate VR users.  Most of the switches are 5-way (even the speed brake), except for the range knob and the antenna elevation control.  One gripe I used to have about my current F/A-18 throttle is that it doesn't have enough grip buttons for the A-10C operation unless I use a modifier switch, but I'm happy to report that there is no issue with this throttle as it provides much more functionality than I need.

The base itself is as long as the Winwing's Super Taurus throttle, has 5 different positions for mechanical detent (stainless steel screws) that can be configured based on your needs.  It has 9-inches of linear travel unaffected by gravity, unlike angular-based devices which require tension setting, which makes throttle operation very smooth and precise.  The base itself has a dial switch with center detent as well as center press, an On-Off switch, and an On-Off-On switch.  It has micro-USB ports in the front and back, allowing flexibility in terms of front/back connection.

The throttle itself may have a simplified appearance but don't let this fool you.  Through some crazy software engineering, this throttle which has 49 buttons is quite a little monster and is on another level when compared to other throttles that I have used in the past.

For example, it's got split throttle control even though it is a single throttle device.  In this mode, when you rotate the range knob clockwise with the index finger (antenna dial switch can also be used for this) the throttle control splits, right throttle input increases and the left throttle power drops, and the degree of the split depends on how much the range knob is rotated.  Rotate it counterclockwise and the opposite split occurs, all this happens while you are moving the throttle up/down to increase or decrease the power and both inputs stay separate.  There are also other modes where you can choose to affect the left or right throttle input and leave the other one at default, all this is done via a flick of a switch.

The throttle has 8 physical axis inputs, but through clever programming it becomes a 16-axis device.  This is listed as HID 1 and HID 2 in the setting, one of which is virtual.  You can really do something crazy with this.  I can control up to 8 dial switches at once using a single dial knob via software setting.  For example, in the F/A-18C, all of my internal and external light switches are controlled by a single knob from the throttle base.  This allows more freedom of having all kinds of settings and bindings based on your imaginations.

The true power of the device, however, is unleashed when paired with the FSSB R3L base or any Realsimulator grip, which allows access to 8 memory slots.  Whatever you can do with the throttle by itself, multiply that by 8 plus extra functionality that comes with those other devices such as macro, voice/text overlay, etc.

So far, I've used this with DCS World (had to brush up my AAR skill which has gotten quite rusty), MSFS 2000, Mechwarrior 5, Star Wars: Squadron.  The throttle's operation is very smooth and very precise with long throw, and the overall functionality is out of this world due to great software engineering.  The throttle split control is quite a real surprise and pleasure to use even though I probably won't be using it much in my actual gameplay.  While its capability is already beyond my need from a few days of usage, I'm pretty sure that I've only scratched the surface of this device.

For those who are interested, the big question would be whether you really need this throttle.  The answer is probably not as any typical throttle can probably fit most of your needs since any device will still take you from point A to point B.  But for people who are looking for something extra and something premium in a modern and high-tech throttle with superior software and hardware engineering, with flexibility of interchangeable grips, the RS-F35 throttle is at the top of my list and I'm pretty sure that it will be my go to throttle (once I get my own) since it's such a pleasure to use and so incredibly powerful.  Keep in mind that this is a test unit so I won't be able to go too deep in terms of operations or other details, and things can still change until the final release.

You can also watch LowBlow's video stream here for more info. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1151652728
Cool F-35 video here.  

EDIT:  The throttle split control is almost like a cheat mode for AAR for dual-throttle aircrafts, it allows you to bank left or right very smoothly, slightly, and accurately without affecting the pitch. Shaky hands during AAR? No problem. Bind throttle control to the Antenna dial in memory slot 2. Switch to mem slot 2 during AAR and you can dial in throttle inputs by 1 pixel at a time.

EDIT: Just realized that the hardware detents are preinstalled, all you have to do is screw each all the way in (Allen #10) as needed. Quite clever.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 3

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

This could end up being a permanent solution for me instead of switching throttles around… especially given my already high opinion of RS products. 👍

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Just rewatched Lowblow’s video and I have a question he doesn’t address:

Do the antenna knob have a center detent? The range knob seems to, and you indicate above that the BP2 knob (the potentiometer on the base) does.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

1 hour ago, RogueSqdn said:

Just rewatched Lowblow’s video and I have a question he doesn’t address:

Do the antenna knob have a center detent? The range knob seems to, and you indicate above that the BP2 knob (the potentiometer on the base) does.

Yes it does.  All the knobs have a center detent as well as center press function, not to mention zero jittery.  These are high quality switches also, they have distinctive sounds when clicked on that you can hear and feel right away.

This throttle will definitely cover most if not all of your needs since it has more buttons and switches than anything else out there (plus 8 memory slots), unless you are very anal about having a true dual throttle.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

7 hours ago, cordite said:

Did I hear correctly, that the physical detents can be disabled without opening the unit?

I haven't had a chance to play with physical detents so cannot comment, but I'm planning to have a brief AV chat with Manuel later today and that is one of my planned questions/comments.  I think you can do this without opening up the case and they're located on the bottom side of the throttle, but I'm not 100% sure (as of yet).  The default settings have 5 different positions (Idle, Hover start, Hover end, AFB, Emergency), but for most aircrafts you would probably need just the Idle and AFB.  I think the Emergency position is mainly for the Eurofighter.  It also seems that these detent positions can be set to activate DX inputs as well.

Edit: I've confirmed that the physical detent is a stainless steel screw-in device that can be inserted into the bottom holes.  You can just flip the throttle over and screw them in.  These detents can also activate DX inputs via setting.  Variable throttle response curves (sensitivities if you will) can also be applied to these different zones

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

This throttle will definitely cover most if not all of your needs since it has more buttons and switches than anything else out there (plus 8 memory slots), unless you are very anal about having a true dual throttle.

I guess it depends on whether I can deal with it when it comes. If not I can always remount the Winwing Super Taurus to the cockpit.

I haven’t flown the Hornet in months, though. I’ve been on a Viper kick. I installed the DeltaSim cursor in my throttle, which already had Cubpilot’s hall sensor mod, corrected switch housings, PTFE tape on the inside, and a TUSBA R2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Icebeat said:

waiting for price and release date.

Hopefully very soon 🙂

1 hour ago, AlexCaboose said:

Been waiting for this since they announced it months ago! 

The hardware is pretty much final, the software needs a bit of tweak but it's mostly ready (IMO).

2 hours ago, Foogle said:

What's the footprint; will i need new mounting plates?

If it's a new footprint, does Monstertech et al have the dimensions so we can get proper mounts on release?

I don't have the exact dimensions but the mounting holes for screws are in the exact same locations as the TMW throttle (similar to the FSSB R3L which can share the mounting plate with the TMW stick base).  The length of the throttle base is the same as Winwing's throttle as I place them side to side in my current setup. 

I'm currently using Monstertech's TMW mounting plate and it fits well.  Of course the throttle itself is longer than the plate so you will either need a longer profile (the 14 cm one) if you plan to utilize screws.  Right now I just use 3M doublesided mounting tape without screws with the TMW mounting plate and it will not move at all as it's already quite heavy.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kiseki_Yu said:
It's so cool! Does the Realsimulator F35  joystick grip will come together? or in 2022?

Very cool in deed, both in hardware and software. I think the F-35 grip will probably be coming in early 2022. They typically would focus on one product at a time, and right now the throttle is the main focus.

The F-35 grip is very interesting also and is def on my wishlist (as I’m a big F-35 fan). Currently the RS F-16 is my go to grip due to the most amount of buttons avail, but it looks like the F-35 grip will top this. Would also love to see an actual F-35 module for DCS but will probably have to settle for the MSFS version for now.

Edited by Supmua

On 11/2/2021 at 7:09 PM, Supmua said:

I don't have the exact dimensions but the mounting holes for screws are in the exact same locations as the TMW throttle (similar to the FSSB R3L which can share the mounting plate with the TMW stick base).  The length of the throttle base is the same as Winwing's throttle as I place them side to side in my current setup. 

I'm currently using Monstertech's TMW mounting plate and it fits well.  Of course the throttle itself is longer than the plate so you will either need a longer profile (the 14 cm one) if you plan to utilize screws.  Right now I just use 3M doublesided mounting tape without screws with the TMW mounting plate and it will not move at all as it's already quite heavy.

Can you show your mounting setup with the TMWH plate? I currently am using the WW Super Taurus and I’d like to see the difference on the Warthog plate.

Edited by AlexCaboose

I shifted the unit a bit so the plate would stick out to the side. But you can see the rough size of it, next to the Winwing.

dccc5ca377582686121ae3d934b29d40.jpg

17小时前,Supmua说:

Very cool in deed, both in hardware and software. I think the F-35 grip will probably be coming in early 2022. They typically would focus on one product at a time, and right now the throttle is the main focus.

The F-35 grip is very interesting also and is def on my wishlist (as I’m a big F-35 fan). Currently the RS F-16 is my go to grip due to the most amount of buttons avail, but it looks like the F-35 grip will top this. Would also love to see an actual F-35 module for DCS but will probably have to settle for the MSFS version for now.

It's really awesome! The RS F-35 Hotas system is on my wishlist!

I saw in the video that the RS F-35 throttle can also apply to twin-engine jets. What throttle grips are in the future plan of RS? I think that F-16 is one of them. Does RS also consider a dual throttle?

I have Winwing Super Taurus. Your picture shows that the RS F-35 throttle base has the almost same length as Super Taurus. How about the weight? The Super Taurus has 4~5kg. Because you said that you put the RS throttle on the TM throttle plate, so it's much lighter than Super Taurus?

It's really awesome! The RS F-35 Hotas system is on my wishlist!
  I saw in the video that the RS F-35 throttle can also apply to twin-engine jets. What throttle grips are in the future plan of RS? I think that F-16 is one of them. Does RS also consider a dual throttle?   I have Winwing Super Taurus. Your picture shows that the RS F-35 throttle base has the almost same length as Super Taurus. How about the weight? The Super Taurus has 4~5kg. Because you said that you put the RS throttle on the TM throttle plate, so it's much lighter than Super Taurus?

They did think about the dual throttle, but then it won’t be the F-35 replica that they want and it would also drive up the cost, not to mention significant deviation from the pro version.

People who actually utilize dual throttle typically do it during acrobatics, BFM or AAR—hence the throttle split option is there for them. For simpler dual throttle operation during startup or shutdown, you can just set up the side switch for that purpose. There are specific settings that will bring the throttle to IDLE or OFF positions. There are also 8 memory slots if you want to bypass that and bind them directly in DCS so your imagination is the limit.

The throttle weight around 9 lbs (4 Kg), heavy for its slim profile but this is optimal for stability during use especially without mounting. They tried lighter casing but it became wobbly and unstable.

1小时前,Supmua说:

They did think about the dual throttle, but then it won’t be the F-35 replica that they want and it would also drive up the cost, not to mention significant deviation from the pro version.

People who actually utilize dual throttle typically do it during acrobatics, BFM or AAR—hence the throttle split option is there for them. For simpler dual throttle operation during startup or shutdown, you can just set up the side switch for that purpose. There are specific settings that will bring the throttle to IDLE or OFF positions. There are also 8 memory slots if you want to bypass that and bind them directly in DCS so your imagination is the limit.

The throttle weight around 9 lbs (4 Kg), heavy for its slim profile but this is optimal for stability during use especially without mounting. They tried lighter casing but it became wobbly and unstable.

Thank you very much for explaining!

Yes, from my experience, in DCS, I do not need a separated throttle even for AAR.

• 4 weeks later...
Re micro-USB ports; did they seem like they would hold up? I haven't had much luck with the longevity of those things. Why didn't they go with A or C?

I did ask about USB-C since I’m all for newer tech and was told that they’re following the formula that has worked well (FSSB R3), with low radio interference and should last a long time. Changing USB protocol might involve significant redesign.

As for USB-A, no idea. Each company has their own design philosophy.