Building a home cockpit for f18.

Gonzzo

Hello what is the distance between the f18 stick and OBS panel right in front of it. Does the stick in real life have less forward movement?

This is my first prototype, Im setting the distances based more on comfort that the real thing.  So far its much nicer flying on this that using the desk mounts. 

IMG_3184.jpg

Edited by Gonzzo

7 hours ago, Gonzzo said:

This is my first prototype, Im setting the distances based more on comfort that the real thing.

I'd say the comfort requirement is the way to go. dimensions of my project were derived from several plywood/cardboard mockups, I made the distance such as to not knock the stick and knuckles onto the Instrument panel while sitting as close to it as possible .

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Yea makes sense. After looking in the game it does look like the stick has less movement forward and more movement when you pull back on it. I like just starting out with wood pieces its easy to mock the locations for the basic pieces. 

I have the same issue in my F/A-18 cockpit built using Jself's files (which are AWESOME, btw!).

The virpil cm50 stick has the same range of motion in both directions of the pitch axis.  Eventually what I will have to do is engineer a way to externally limit the forward throw of the stick, and then compensate for that with a curve in the software.

I will add that, as I'm sure you know already, the Warthog base has too much throw in all directions when used with an extension.  Maybe someone could design a 3D-printed "box" structure that could be mounted above the base to define the limits of stick throw?

Edited by War_Pig

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thx, that really helps, thx for the diagram Mr. Burns. Maybe i can rig something up to get the throw a bit closer. Also i attached my fbbs r3, waiting for proper mounts to come in. Ill talk a look at jselfs files War_Pig. Thx 

BED02965-C6E1-485B-8871-9C40FB549CB0.jpeg

Edited by Gonzzo
  • Like 1