How do you guys feel about accusasions of toxicity coming from DCS community?

chlywly

For reference, I'm new here. I've been off - on DCS for many years. Mainly I've always found it too difficult and time consuming to get into. However, I've always been a massive aviation WWII buff, and as of recently and due to the Tomcat, F16 have finally started getting into DCS and I think at it's current state it's absolutely incredible (save for some glaring AI issues, which I also realize are quite tough to iron out).

With that said, I find the community quite helpful and pleasant but I'm also quite new.

I came across this Youtube video and scoped out the comments and seems many people feel the DCS Community has some type of toxic elitism toward other Simmers.

How do you guys feel?

Edited by chlywly

23 minutes ago, agrasyuk said:

Meritless discussion.  I really don't care how someone somewhere might feel about me. 

Unfortunately true, its decades of video game mania LoL 🤪 🙃 😜 😡😲

Then came Online Forums use to be Video Game Magazines and articles to discuss in school.......🤪

Always been a bit crazy don't expect it to change much the human aspect is vArIEtY in all directions its what it is..... kinda like the Mr Men varieties

c5950baedd3221d7f116cbff241d57a6.jpg

🤣

Edited by WRAITH
  • Like 1

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Well, I watched. Couldn't care if he was banned from a user group outside of this forum.
I find this forum very helpful!
Technology is the new religion.
Mad magazine had a joke about a guy and a girl that was going to hook up and watch some some tapes together. Too bad one had VHS and the other one Betamax.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chlywly said:

For reference, I'm new here. I've been off - on DCS for many years. Mainly I've always found it too difficult and time consuming to get into.

Heh, DCS is pretty damn hard to get into, nobody'll argue that. Keep at it, though, it's a lot of accomplishment.

With that said, I find the community quite helpful and pleasant but I'm also quite new.

It's an internet community. It has all the usual personalities that implies, both good and bad.

I came across this Youtube video and scoped out the comments and seems many people feel the DCS Community has some type of toxic elitism toward other Simmers.

Gamers in general are freqeuently toxic. DCS is a game, the people who play it are gamers, the usual tropes and personalities apply.

How do you guys feel?

#1 I don't. Nor should anyone else over 12.

#2 He got banned from a Facebook group. Who cares?

#3 See previous comments about the internet and gamers. Also, it's a free(ish) internet. People can kick you out of their groups or not play with you for any reason they want.

#4 Video is a wouldbe youtuber. Like most youtuber's drama = publicity and clicks. Congratulations, you just fed him a few dozen/hundred extra views by propogating his video. Which was the REAL point all along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

For reference, I'm new here. I've been off - on DCS for many years. Mainly I've always found it too difficult and time consuming to get into. However, I've always been a massive aviation WWII buff, and as of recently and due to the Tomcat, F16 have finally started getting into DCS and I think at it's current state it's absolutely incredible (save for some glaring AI issues, which I also realize are quite tough to iron out).

How do you guys feel?

Well, I fly with a number of guys.. Some of which have multiple forum user accounts because they feel they cant talk their mind through one.
So they act nice and humble with their main account. Then in their other, they try to speak their mind.

I suppose its about how you feel towards others. And how you feel about being looked upon by others.

I dont think it matters what game you play, it matters how you enjoy it, and how much fun you have from it.
Its just a game.

• Like 1

The secret to enjoying your time in any online enthusiast community is to sort out the different cliques, ascertain who's a thicko and who's decent, then interact accordingly. I find DCS to be no different.

I have encountered elitism within DCS, of course. I find that this elitism is mostly aimed at newbies who are asking (quite reasonable) questions on how to get into DCS. They paint this image of things like the Hornet being difficult to get into because of their supposed complexity. That just simply isn't true. I've flown everything in DCS and none of it strikes me as something I'd describe as approaching difficult. What DCS does demand is a measure of patience and willingness to read some concise manuals. The best thing you can do, as a newbie to DCS, is to just grab the aircraft that interests you and eschew any notion that you need to 'work your way up to it.'

We have trainers and instructors IRL because there's no respawn, yet, and airplanes are expensive. If you bin it in the sim, just restart. Get a stick, get the airframes you liked as kid or recently fell in love with, and go at it. 

I see most of this on the Steam forums, but the Steam forums are Chernobyl levels of radioactive and don't reflect on the DCS community, at large.

Another key thing to remember is that the creator of that video only contains a singular POV. What are the odds he'd leave certain details out? I've admined for a number of game servers in Bad Company 2, ArmAs, Counter-Strike, and a few others. You probably wouldn't be surprised to find out that most ban appeals leave out key points in the individual's interactions. The claim "I got banned for no reason" or "I got banned for saying THIS" far too often leaves out the litany of slurs, or unsportsman-like behavior, or some other thing that they did.

In the end, the DCS community is a lot like other PC games that don't provide hosting entirely through the developer: each server has its own culture and microcosm and it would be very folly to judge the whole community based on the interactions with a single one. 

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I think it´s just a bunch of people with everything that comes with it. There are far more crappy people around than some would like to think, usually they just hide in plain sight. Different matter when it comes to the anonymous internet. People generally are mostly interested in themselves, and their immediate convenience. Anything else often comes second, or tenth, or not at all. 🤔

• Like 1

PC: i7 8700k 32GB DDR4 3200 Mhz  RTX 3070 Ti Hotas Warthog Thrustmaster TPR Track ir 5 Bodnar BBI-32 Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Lewitt LCT 240 Pro
Jets: A-10A A-10C Warthog A-10C II F-14 Tomcat F-16C Viper F-5E Tiger II F/A-18C Hornet F-15C Su-33 MiG-29 F-86F Sabre 
Choppers: AH-64D Mi-8MTV2 UH-1H Huey Black shark 2 Maps: Nevada Normandy Persian gulf Syria The Channel 
WW2: BF-109 K4 Fw 190 D-9 Dora Mosquito FB VI P-51D Mustang Spitfire LF Mk. IX  Other: Supercarrier WWII Assets Pack NS 430 Navigation System Combined Arms 

13 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Due to be locked, it's a baiting discussion.

And posts hidden until reviewed so noone will see this either, ED mods what are you afraid of?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

• ED Team

Ok, a few things here... and I am not opening this for discussion, I am making a statement based on the original post and some of the similar suggestions that followed.

First, we do not condone any toxicity between communities, squadrons, individuals, etc. We know it exists EVERYWHERE, but we feel confident in our customers and users that its the vocal minority that are like this. But this forum is for support of DCS World and it's modules. PERIOD. We are not referees or PC warriors. We are employees of a company that make games (yes simulators). 

This forums is not for comparison to other sims, sure, if you have a feature you like somewhere else, and you cant describe it in any other way than how its done in X or Y game, then we will allow it, but the fighting and bickering that comes from comparisons its exhausting, and honestly, people have opinions, they are allowed to have opinions, and who am I to change that. If some one wants to come to me and discuss why I think our warbirds are better than another company, then DM or whatever, I will discuss, but I would only talk about what makes us good. We do not set our goals based on another piece of software, we base our goals on reality. Mr Grey expects us to do good against real life, again. PERIOD.

I should add to the above, this is to not only protect us, but also protect other members, and other developers. We do not want people coming here dumping on other developers or their hard work. We know what it takes to make an enjoyable product, we know they work hard to do the same, this is not a place to trash anyone, including them. So its not about hurting our feelings, or whatever else people tend to come up with.

This forum is not for policing MP servers, FB (Meta?) groups, content creators, other forums, etc. We are not here to control these other groups, if they banned you from their group, then that is between you and them. True story, I have been banned from the odd DCS groups... that is their choice, and if they don't feel you are a fit for their group, then you are probably better off. But again, we do not control or discuss these disputes here AT ALL. Again, exhausting, I think you would much rather us focus on development and bug reporting. Fun fact, I had someone want us to change our TOS to address server bans because they were banned from a server. Nope.

And posts hidden until reviewed so noone will see this either, ED mods what are you afraid of?

We are afraid of people being upset and arguing and fighting about stuff that doesn't really matter for the scope of these forums. So call us woke, or whatever the cool kids term is today for us enforcing the rules, but this forums is for the support of DCS World and it's modules, there are plenty of places to have discussions about peoples opinions. Have those there.

If you have concerns or comments about this, feel free to PM me or BIGNEWY. Thanks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png