Still loving this module..

StevanJ

11 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

So im still loving this module, having a blast just rolling through the landscapes and skimming the ground.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for Night Flying?
And how people Navigate waypoints when flying Solo?

I'm not a fly-by-the-book kind of guy at all but what trouble are you having with night flying?

I don't typically fly by waypoints since the waypoints would have to be over easily identifiable land marks.  I just use the radio beacons like TACAN, VOR, and ADF.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kontiuka said:

I'm not a fly-by-the-book kind of guy at all but what trouble are you having with night flying?

I don't typically fly by waypoints since the waypoints would have to be over easily identifiable land marks.  I just use the radio beacons like TACAN, VOR, and ADF.

So, when target hunting- I take it this doesnt have NVG's, so how would you normally go about finding targets?
Do you have to use the Illumination Bomb?

Your second sentence is the insight im looking for, but If you had to set 4 waypoints at night, how would you navigate to them?

8 minutes ago, StevanJ said:

So, when target hunting- I take it this doesnt have NVG's, so how would you normally go about finding targets?

Your second sentence is the insight im looking for, but If you had to set 4 waypoints at night, how would you navigate to them?

No, it doesn't have NVGs but I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a mod for it.  I don't believe it is super difficult.

The C-101 doesn't have illumination bombs but it does have illumination rockets.  Takes practice to place them where you want them though.

Well, night attack ... you might be expecting a little too much out of this little bird.  But first, I would say you need a moon lit night.  Then I would say use a combination of flying away from radio beacons and using landmarks.

• Like 1

If by waypoints you mean the ones set up in the mission editor then there is no direct method to track to them in the stock  C101.

Navigation options are radio navigation instruments and visually.  If you set the "waypoints" in the mission editor yourself,  putting them over easily identifiable locations on the map could help spot them.

Now, if you happen to purchase the Garmin 430 add on module for the C101 (and I do recommend it just be aware that it has limited functionality compared to the real one) then the waypoints from the mission editor will be loaded into the flight plan on the Garmin.

Edited by Andurula
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 6:36 PM, StevanJ said:

From my experience, night attacks are valid option, however you must take in account your limitations - you will have one pair of pylons with illumination rockets, one with your weapon of choice and a gun pod. You can get out of it one pass, maybe two if you will be really good with your illumination rockets. Or lucky, and they won't drift too much. Those rockets are tricky to use, but they are giving you a bit of a distance to your target, and you can stay out of AAA fire. This changes dramatically, if you can muster a two-ship, with one plane popping illumination rockets and one going in for the kill. Same goes for F-5 or L-39 for that matter, as both profit from illuminantion.

When it comes to actually finding your target, sadly it is Eyeball Mk I sensor suite - you have to do good old Great War-style visual recon. In the night you are limited to stationary targets, that were previously discovered and marked during daytime.

Scenario, where environment is suited for night operation of light attacks like C-101, L-39 or upcoming MB-339 would have to provide additional help to put payload on target. After all, airframes like that would benefit from cooperation with ground troops, radio vectoring and illumination provided by mortars or artillery. While they could help soften or suppress already engaged target, nobody would send them into the night hoping to find and kill stuff on the fly.

But to be fair - finding and attacking unmarked targets of opportunity at night was feature widely used during Desert Storm, and was considered game-changing ability of modern planes. That level of operational flexibility is something far beyond capabilities of our little C-101, and there is no shame in that.

Edited by Fairey Gannet
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...