Honest Virpil Collective Review

HC_Official

Nice review.  I have the TCS Plus base and the SharKa-50 grip.  From my experience, I echo all your observations.  Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gotten the Alpha-L grip and the standard base.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

Before I bought it, I knew that the throttle twist grip was going to be pretty much useless, but wanted to check it  out

As it turns out it the throttle grip was far worse in operation than I expected

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

:thumbup:

Very nice review and highly informative!

Very helpful as I will probably get one of these for the upcoming AH-64D.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

37 minutes ago, dburne said:

:thumbup:

Very nice review and highly informative!

Very helpful as I will probably get one of these for the upcoming AH-64D.

Save yourself a few quid and get the non plus version

55 minutes ago, HC_Official said:

Thanks yeah I gathered that by your review.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 5 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 2:23 PM, HC_Official said:

After all those months, your opinion is still the same, correct? Still no use for the twist throttle?

Thanks.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

4 minutes ago, Gruman said:

After all those months, your opinion is still the same, correct? Still no use for the twist throttle?

Thanks.

As a TCS plus user for a few months now, I can confirm, the "twist throttle" is not worth the extra bucks. At least, that's my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

11 hours ago, Gruman said:

Thanks.

yes still the same , save your coin and go for the cheaper collective

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sirrah said:

As a TCS plus user for a few months now, I can confirm, the "twist throttle" is not worth the extra bucks. At least, that's my opinion.

Only use I would see is ( assuming there are enough buttons on the grip) it would alleviate the need to have also a throttle plugged in and using as well. Unless of course one could just assign the throttle functions to buttons on the grip.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Many thanks @sirrah and @HC_Officialfor your opinion. 

But I did order the Plus version. 🙃

My reason:

• Friend has the plus and he would buy it again (additional generic analog Axis is nice)
  • The look. The Non-Plus looks very boring.
  • I might try add Analog Zoom and View Reset on thd idle button. Might work when not in VR

Well, now the waiting game has started.

• Thanks 1

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

2 hours ago, Gruman said:

Many thanks @sirrah and @HC_Officialfor your opinion. 

But I did order the Plus version. 🙃

My reason:

• Friend has the plus and he would buy it again (additional generic analog Axis is nice)
  • The look. The Non-Plus looks very boring.
  • I might try add Analog Zoom and View Reset on thd idle button. Might work when not in VR

Well, now the waiting game has started.

All three are good reasons :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Nice review very informative. I own the Plus version and modified it with a damper to control the friction and it works great.  I also believe the internal friction controls is a weak point of this controller and eventually wear out, and force others to seek their own remedies. On the throttle topic it's ok, but I wouldn't purchase this version if I had to do it over. Again nice job!

• Like 1

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

1 hour ago, Outlaw24 said:

Nice review very informative. I own the Plus version and modified it with a damper to control the friction and it works great.  I also believe the internal friction controls is a weak point of this controller and eventually wear out, and force others to seek their own remedies. On the throttle topic it's ok, but I wouldn't purchase this version if I had to do it over. Again nice job!

Yeah but that weak point is certainly causing me hesitation in ordering a collective. Probably best for me anyway to wait  and insure I will stick with the Apache.

Don B

• 4 weeks later...

So, the collective was sent last week and has arrive this Wednesday. Compared to my Komodo Simulation UH1 Collective (V1) it's a gamechanger. The look, the feel is awesome.

Some short Pro's and Con's:

+ Solid Product. A lot of metal and sturdy plastic grip
+ Hawk Grip is perfect. So many possibilities to setup.
+ Price is OK (compared to the 1000£ Kommodo Simulation its a bargain)

- Mounting is not as flexible as it could be. It works for my setup, but I can see the complaints of others.
- Friction is not easely adjusted. A Thumbwheel would be best. One screw to tighten would be good. But having to adjust two screws (one on the bottom side) is a bit a PITA.

Great product as I expected from Virpil.

• Thanks 1